Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 11:42:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Probability of Bitcoin split  (Read 2897 times)
digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 11:15:30 PM

They killed themselves, so now lets kill ourselves, they were eating human flesh, let us do the same, this is what happens when some body does something and all of a sudden every body wants it too, ETH split, oh look at them now very successful and are mooning, so let us split now to see if that happens for us or not. when some body like Wu walking around and bitching about how he'll do a hard fork, people then think it must be something good and healthy.
Nothing good comes out of split other than miners suffering loss of their hard earned money, unplanned split changes everything in a bad way.
ETH when forked price was very low nothing compared to what Bitcoin price is right now.

🖤😏
VanDeinsberg12

Activity: 1540
Merit: 507

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 11:20:00 PM

Hi, in your opinion what's the probability of Bitcoin's split (e.g. 1:100 bitcoins, so if you have one bitcoin you'll have 100, but the price will be 100 times smaller - about $2.6)?

I think this will greatly improve Bitcoin growth because it's more complicated to surge from $2600 to $10000 than from $2.6 to $10
It will be useless. until the chain split will come true and that gives the real impact to the market. You just split the quantity. What's the different with the mbtc or satoshi as a decimal? I think that will not work.
Just forget it.

.......[url]CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS...........[URL].....►  C O M I N G   S O O N.....
Vasilije69

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 01:58:20 AM

That's not possible at all. It may lose some value and dump to even $2000. But more than that... Will not going to happen.
Any bigger dump would be miracle.
ASHLIUSZ

Activity: 994
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 02:50:26 AM

I'm not that good with the technology, but in my opinion the splitting might pave path for the initiation of two or more blockchain. If this happens the difficulty and the transaction fee issues will get sought, but the long lasting and the trust from the users will start decreasing.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2017, 08:01:28 AM
Last edit: July 08, 2017, 11:54:48 AM by deisik

That's not possible at all. It may lose some value and dump to even $2000. But more than that... Will not going to happen.
Any bigger dump would be miracle

I'm afraid that you fall victim to your "gut feeling", if I can say that

But it deceives you more often than not, and even if it doesn't, when it does the consequences might be devastating. Basically, you see Bitcoin hovering over 2,000 dollars per coin for a month and come to think that these prices are there to stay forever. This is a dangerous assumption. If the split happens and both (or more) chains have more or less equal support, a dumping war will inevitably ensue with each party trying to bring down the competitor (read drive their prices into the ground)

adzino
Copper Member

Activity: 2968
Merit: 574

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 08:43:55 AM

But it deceives you more often than not, and even if it doesn't, when it does the consequences might be devastating. Basically, you see Bitcoin hovering over 2,000 dollars per coin for a month and come to think that these prices are there to stay forever. This is a dangerous assumption. If the split happens and both (or more) chains have more or less equal support, a dumping war will inevitably start with each party trying to bring down the competitor (read drive their prices into the ground)
Wow, haven't thought about it this way! You seem to be more logical, "the dump war", to bring down each competitor to its ground.
Still confused about what to do. I am starting to sell a portion of my coins, while saving some to see what happens "if" a chain split occurs  Undecided

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 10:38:01 AM

Well after the dumping war one side may well emerge victorious or the two and be considered the dominant currency, so they can co-exist to an extent but one just ends up being worth a lot more market wise than the other, happened with Ethereum but classic is still 6th place in terms of market cap.

The real question is it better to stock up or to try to participate on the dumping war, or a mix of both options aka have some cash around but keep some coins as well to take advantage of instabilities and volatility.
(Instead of waiting for the processing to the exchange converting your cash into cryptocurrency process that takes forever in trading time)

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
mackenzied

Activity: 434

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 11:05:16 AM

Hi, in your opinion what's the probability of Bitcoin's split (e.g. 1:100 bitcoins, so if you have one bitcoin you'll have 100, but the price will be 100 times smaller - about $2.6)?

I think this will greatly improve Bitcoin growth because it's more complicated to surge from $2600 to $10000 than from $2.6 to $10

I really feel worried about this issue, bitcoin division is a bad thing, it will directly affect the value of bitcoin. I just hope bitcoin is always a unified mass.

(altair)

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 11:31:07 AM

Isn't that just the same? It's not a good idea because we could already divide bitcoin in to much smaller pieces and as mudiko said there's no need for this. I don't see any good thing about this kind of split it'll most likely just get rejected by the miners and devs.

Yeah it's just the same, you just divide it too many and the value didn't change. So what's the catch here? They just make people become more confuse. Spreading of fuds are everywhere and people are going mad. Hope this splitting of coin will resolve sooner.  
Arigatoalexis

Activity: 13
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 11:32:14 AM

Oh I have 3 weeks left before I will decide what to do with my bitcoins. Maybe sell this all before this possible bitcoin split.
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2017, 11:52:58 AM

But it deceives you more often than not, and even if it doesn't, when it does the consequences might be devastating. Basically, you see Bitcoin hovering over 2,000 dollars per coin for a month and come to think that these prices are there to stay forever. This is a dangerous assumption. If the split happens and both (or more) chains have more or less equal support, a dumping war will inevitably start with each party trying to bring down the competitor (read drive their prices into the ground)
Wow, haven't thought about it this way! You seem to be more logical, "the dump war", to bring down each competitor to its ground.
Still confused about what to do. I am starting to sell a portion of my coins, while saving some to see what happens "if" a chain split occurs  Undecided

As they say, better be safe than sorry

In troublous times like these you should rather look for preserving your capital and wealth rather than going for multiplying them (otherwise you risk coming back shorn, so to speak). Indeed, you can always keep some part of your wealth in a potentially toxic asset since no one knows for sure how things are going to play out in real life at the end of the day. Anyway, you can lose only so much while your profits are virtually unlimited if everything pans out. But which part you want to stake is entirely up to you to decide, obviously

bitKaBoom

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 03:13:30 PM

I'm sorry, but is it even possible, dude? Bitcoin split seems like a strange idea.
syaripudin

Activity: 672
Merit: 253

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 03:22:14 PM

It takes a very long time to do that with bitcoin split whether it will give good results of course we do not know yet. For several years may be possible. There is still a lot of homework to complete. Like the existence of sites that at the end is a scam

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org|  
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
skorupi17

Activity: 490
Merit: 256

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 05:04:08 PM

Before discussing the probability of Bitcoin split, it is best to know if Bitcoin will really split. As of now, there is no concrete claims about the said split. This is to be discussed first. Though Segwit2x is about the activation of Segwit + 2MB block size increase via hard fork, no one is certain if this will really be implemented.
jc89

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 07:24:24 PM

I'm sorry, but is it even possible, dude? Bitcoin split seems like a strange idea.

Yes, it is very possible. Bitcoin has a threat of being split due to the Segwit2x. The Segwit2x is the activation of segwit on or before August 1st and around November, a possible Hard Fork (the split) will take place because of the 2MB block size increase that will be done by having a hard fork. Though there is no certainty of the Hard Fork to happen. No formal claims was released as of now if ever Bitcoin will undergo Hard Fork or not.

▄▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄
            ▄▄▓▓▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓
          ▄▓▓░░░░░▄▄████████▄▄░░░░░░▓▓
        ▄▓▀░░░░██████████████████▄░░░▓▓▌
       ▓▓░░░▄██████████████████████▄░░░▓▓▄
      ▓░░░░█████████████████████████░░░░▓▄
     ▓▓░░░████████████████████████████▌░░░▓
    ▐▓░░░▓████████████░░░░░████████████░░░▓▓
    ▓▓░░░█████████████▓████▓███████████▌░░▐▓
    ▓▓░░░█████████████▓████████████████▌░░▐▓
    ▐▓░░░▓████████████▓░██░████████████░░░▓█
     ▓▓░░░████████████▓░██████████████▌░░░▓▌
      ▓▓░░░███████████▓██████████████▀░░░█▌
       ▓▓░░░░█████████▓▄███████████░░░░█▀
        ▓▓░░░░░██████████████████▀░░░░▓█
          ▓▓░░░░░░▀██████████▀▀░░░░░▓█▀
            ▀▓▓░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓█▀
                ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▀▀▀
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███ BRIDGING MARKETS ███
AN ALL INCLUSIVE ECOSYSTEM
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██  Social Media  ██
██▄███████████████████▄
██████████████████████▌
██████████████████████▌
████████████     █▀███▌
███   █████        ▐██▌
███               ▐███▌
███               ████▌
████             █████▌
█████▄▄         ██████▌
████         ▄████████▌
██████████████████████▌
██████████████████████▌
▄▓█████████████████████▓▓▄
▓██████████████████████████▌
███████████████████▓▓▀  ▓██▌
██████████████▓▀▀       ▓██▌
████████▓▀▀      ▄█    ▐███▌
███▓▀        ▄▄▓▀      ▓███▌
███▓▄▄▄   ▄▓█▓         ████▌
████████▓ ▓▌          ▓████▌
█████████▓    ▄       █████▌
██████████▌ ▄▓██▓▄   ▐█████▌
███████████████████▓▓██████▌
▐██████████████████████████
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 07:34:59 PM

It will have only a minor effect, because despite the split, the market capitalization is not going to change. But I assume that if the prices change from $2,600 to $26, then BTC will become attractive for a lot of the small-scale and medium-scale investors, who are currently trying their luck with altcoins such as Ethereum, Ripple and Litecoin.
szpalata

Activity: 686
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 05:10:46 AM

It will have only a minor effect, because despite the split, the market capitalization is not going to change. But I assume that if the prices change from $2,600 to $26, then BTC will become attractive for a lot of the small-scale and medium-scale investors, who are currently trying their luck with altcoins such as Ethereum, Ripple and Litecoin.

Exactly, it will pave way for more investors who hitherto were already giving up on Bitcoin due to its price surges. I'm hopeful that should all go well Bitcoin will be even stronger and more competitive in the near future.
ultrloa
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1233

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2017, 05:14:29 AM

26$ downfall is pretty much annoying to see but I can't see any scenario on why would the price go for that huge dip since we never truly know if this split can may get big effect to make the bitcoins price go down. And as of know bitcoins price is pretty much affordable for medium large scale whales since we see some pretty movements happening to its stats.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2017, 06:21:14 AM
Last edit: July 09, 2017, 06:32:41 AM by deisik

Market capitalization of what exactly is not going to change?

Of each separate coin (which would be what Bitcoin market cap now is, i.e. doubling it total) or the market cap of both (or more) blockchains combined? As to me, neither is possible. In the first case it would mean that the prices of each chains should remain the same as the price of Bitcoin is now, in the second case the sum of their nominal prices should equal today's price. I guess in real life, if there is a split the prices will fall substantially below the current price of Bitcoin (even their sum will likely go way below current price) . The very fact of the split will suffice to crash the markets, and if the competing chains start a dumping war (which is almost inevitable) that will the end of the game for Bitcoin

gabmen

Activity: 1246
Merit: 529

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 10:37:47 AM

It would be a very unpopular occurence if this is to happen and its likely that btc support would decline. You'd basically drag btc down to the level of other altcoins and holders wouldn't be too happy about that. Also i don't think there would be a big difference to how it is now

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Report to moderator 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
       ..███████████████████████████████
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: