Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:10:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best places in SE Asia to spend Bitcoin?  (Read 1050 times)
protokol (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1188
Merit: 1016

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 12:25:37 PM

I wanna make a short trip to a SE Asian country, and would love to spend Bitcoin in hotels, bars and shops etc.

My current choice of places is:

Hong Kong
Singapore
Malaysia
Thailand
Indonesia
Phillipines

Myanmar or Cambodia (I don't think I'll be able to spend many bitcoins in these two places)

It would be especially great if I could pay for the whole trip with Bitcoin, including flights/hotel/bar/restaurants...

Where would be the best place to go?
protokol (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 06:40:59 PM

bump  Smiley
LodisMcguire

Activity: 546
Merit: 261

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 06:57:51 PM

I assume you change your bitcoin into fiat and use it for trip expense,because i think those country doesn't accept bitcoin as payment
I recommend to go to Thailand because they have nice people and unique places you want to see
nagobinga

Activity: 476
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 07:34:35 PM

The best place to spend a little coffee is a very interesting country singapore, because marina bay sands is still a mainstay tourist destination.
freeyourmind

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 08:04:41 PM

I wanna make a short trip to a SE Asian country, and would love to spend Bitcoin in hotels, bars and shops etc.

Hong Kong
Singapore
Malaysia
Thailand
Indonesia
Phillipines

Myanmar or Cambodia (I don't think I'll be able to spend many bitcoins in these two places)

It would be especially great if I could pay for the whole trip with Bitcoin, including flights/hotel/bar/restaurants...

Are you going backpacking?

I've been to Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia and Cambodia of the places you're looking to visit.  At the time Bitcoin wasn't prevalent, and I don't think it would be easy to do all your spending in Bitcoin even today.  You'll likely need to have local currencies, except in Cambodia.  They seem to be quite happy accepting US dollars.

If you're going backpacking, I'd recommend starting in Thailand.  It's the easiest way to transition into backpacking lifestyle, meet lots of other backpackers, and Thailand is very well setup for backpacking.  Most people speak English so there's little language barrier.

Enjoy your travels  Smiley
ilovecheese

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 08:08:46 PM

I've just got back from SE Asia... went to Thailand, Hong Kong, Cambodia, Malaysia and also Vietnam. There for 8 weeks, the only place i saw that accepted BTC was a bar in Ho Chi Minh city Vietnam
protokol (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 08:33:53 PM

Hong Kong
Singapore
Malaysia
Thailand
Indonesia
Phillipines

Are you going backpacking?

I've been to Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia and Cambodia of the places you're looking to visit.  At the time Bitcoin wasn't prevalent, and I don't think it would be easy to do all your spending in Bitcoin even today.  You'll likely need to have local currencies, except in Cambodia.  They seem to be quite happy accepting US dollars.

If you're going backpacking, I'd recommend starting in Thailand.  It's the easiest way to transition into backpacking lifestyle, meet lots of other backpackers, and Thailand is very well setup for backpacking.  Most people speak English so there's little language barrier.

Enjoy your travels  Smiley

Thanks, no I'm not backpacking - I'm currently based in Vietnam and I need to renew my visa, so I thought a trip to another country close by would be cool, rather than the bus to the Moc Bai border with Cambodia.

I am planning on doing some travelling soon though, and Thailand is high up on my list. I absolutely love Thai food so that is a big factor!
protokol (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 08:36:19 PM

I've just got back from SE Asia... went to Thailand, Hong Kong, Cambodia, Malaysia and also Vietnam. There for 8 weeks, the only place i saw that accepted BTC was a bar in Ho Chi Minh city Vietnam

Was it the place on Bui Vien street that sells coffee, beer and nitrous balloons? I've been there quite a few times, I'm living in Saigon right now. The owner is a really cool guy!
RichardThessen

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 09:34:33 PM

Indonesian regulators appear to have taken a neutral stance on Bitcoin. Bank Indonesia, the country’s central bank, clarified that Bitcoin is neither currency nor legal tender but did not rule it to be illegal.
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 09:40:27 PM

My bet is on Phillippines because they have a community that takes Bitcoin in Manila and area and I have heard they can load on some Sari Sari stores there with Smart or something like that.
https://cointelegraph.com/news/the-philippines-officially-legitimize-bitcoin-as-payment-method
https://cointelegraph.com/news/3-major-bitcoin-platforms-in-philippines-efficiency-comparison-test

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
RichardThessen

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 09:43:24 PM

While the Bitcoin landscape is largely underdeveloped, the Philippines, Indonesia, and Vietnam are countries that hold more promise given the favorable markets
agatha818

Activity: 284
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 10:27:40 PM

you should put vietnam on your list, i think you could spend your bitcoin in vietnam,
scambust
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 11:12:00 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2017, 08:14:16 PM by scambust

Just convert your btc into the local currency. I believe there are already many places where you can sell your btc into local fiat.

btc_angela

Activity: 2618
Merit: 542

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 11:27:24 PM

My bet is on Phillippines because they have a community that takes Bitcoin in Manila and area and I have heard they can load on some Sari Sari stores there with Smart or something like that.
https://cointelegraph.com/news/the-philippines-officially-legitimize-bitcoin-as-payment-method
https://cointelegraph.com/news/3-major-bitcoin-platforms-in-philippines-efficiency-comparison-test

You can buy bitcoin even in a 7-11 kiosk in the Philippines, but I don't know if there is a place that accepts bitcoin. I guess there is because there is a lot of Filipino here or maybe check there local board?  And they are English speaking nation. I think Thailand is also a good place to visit in the South East Asia. Goodluck.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
nisya

Activity: 318
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 08, 2017, 11:51:08 PM

Hong Kong
Singapore
Malaysia
Thailand
Indonesia
Phillipines

i think you can with all of country in the list and i think its a safe place too but i don't think that you can spend your bitcoin to buy something in that country. you need to withdraw first your bitcoin into local fiat then you can buy something. i heard that in Bali, Indonesia, there are a Bitcoin ATM machine and i think you can try that machine too. good luck sir, have a nice trip.
Silberman
Legendary

Activity: 2520
Merit: 1336

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 02:15:36 AM

Hong Kong
Singapore
Malaysia
Thailand
Indonesia
Phillipines

I think you will be limiting your options greatly by doing that, I think it is better to bring your bitcoin and then sell in Local bitcoins, if available, in a face to face trade, that way you can go to any country without too much cash and then get the local currency by selling your bitcoin, that will allow you to stay anywhere and go to any restaurant or bar instead of being limited to a small selection that accepts bitcoin.
sapta
aka BitRentX
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 1718
Merit: 1206

Yield.App

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2017, 03:35:26 AM

Hong Kong
Singapore
Malaysia
Thailand
Indonesia
Phillipines

Bali. A few places accept Bitcoin and most of them use Bitcoin Indonesia as the payment processor. Here's a link that might be useful for your trip to Bali:

http://bitislands.com/merchant

Cheers!
romero121
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1213

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 03:38:39 AM

Through our forum understood that many people from Philippines is using bitcoin as well the acceptance is increasing gradually. I haven't come across many news regarding the same from the other countries. Based on that I believe Philippines will be good to spend in an easy way.

█████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
jekjekman

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 03:42:20 AM

I think most of this places can be spend off your Bitcoin with but with just a few of businesses branch only, Bitcoin is not banned in all of this countries that you have. But for me it is much more better to change it to their FIAT currency while you stay with this countries instead relying too much into your Bitcoins but better use of https://coins.ph/ because some of this countries recognize it and has easy withdrawal.
celested

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 09, 2017, 05:57:38 AM

I assume you change your bitcoin into fiat and use it for trip expense,because i think those country doesn't accept bitcoin as payment
I recommend to go to Thailand because they have nice people and unique places you want to see

Instead of converting bitcoin into fiat and using it for transactions, I think you should use it for online transactions at sites that accept bitcoin. That would be more convenient and easier.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: