Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:16:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallets supporting signed message  (Read 652 times)
dipsy (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 11:25:48 AM
Last edit: May 10, 2013, 03:38:21 PM by dipsy

I'm trying to compile a list of wallets (hosted or local) that support message signing.

So far I have:
- Bitcoin QT v. 0.8.1
- Electrum v. 1.7.3
- Blockchain.info "my wallet"

- Armory v. 0.88.1 (Currently incompatible with Bitcoin QT, or anyone else)

Am I missing any? Also, if anybody knows the earliest versions of Bitcoin QT/Bitcoind, Electrum and Armory that supported message signing, that would be really useful.

Thanks for your help  Smiley

Edit: added Armory to the list
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
etotheipi
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 02:11:49 PM

Actually, Armory implemented message signing before Bitcoin-Qt did.  Thus, Armory had no way to know how Bitcoin_Qt was going to implement it, and thus we ended up with different, incompatible signing algorithms.  So, while Armory has a "message signing" feature, it's not compatible with anyone else.

There's an active bounty out to fix this.  Hopefully, it will happen soon.  But if you are compiling the list for inter-compatible signing, Armory is not one of them.   This is also why Armory's signing is kind of intermixed with an ECDSA calculator... I started with that, then decided not to upgrade/polish it until I got a compatible algorithm implemented.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
dipsy (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 03:36:53 PM

Thanks for the reply, and good work for implementing signing before QT. It's a shame that it's incompatible, but appreciate the bounty will hopefully solve that.

We're working on an app that will use the sign message feature to verify ownership of addresses, so there will be a list of compatible wallets. We are using QT to verify the signature, so hopefully we will soon be able to include Armory in our list.

Are there any other local or web wallets that I have missed out?
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 04:21:03 PM

Ah, same for pywallet, it signed messages since as early as august 2011
Far from being a client though

As for the Armory's ability, I resolved one problem I had. And I think I'm close to solve the last one. So it should be OK soon hopefully

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: