Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:41:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who DeathAndTaxes is?  (Read 5574 times)
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 05:22:25 PM

Some time ago I stopped mining cryptocoins and launched SSN@Home (Search for Satoshi Nakamoto) project on the hardware. The bot dug thru different sites related to Bitcoin, crypto, libertanians, etc. Today I got the final result - it's a list of identities - and DeathAndTaxes is #1 in it (less than 50% match though). I can't ask him "Are you Satoshi", well, I can, but I bet he will answer "No" in any case. I'm asking the community, who is he? Do u have any proof that he is what he pretends to be (I mean in RL)? Do u have any info that could prove (or disprove) that he is Satoshi?

@DeathAndTaxes:
Sorry for talking about u in 3rd person form. But it makes no sense to ask u regarding the issue.
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
papaminer

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Free World

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 05:26:09 PM

uh-oh...

busted...

฿: 1L7dSte4Rs4KyyxRCgrqSWYtkXdAb4Gy1z

MORE INFO ABOUT ME: BTC
Bitinvestor

Activity: 470

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 05:32:24 PM

No. D&T is smart, but he's not THAT smart.

Those who cause problems for others also cause problems for themselves.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 05:37:58 PM

Satoshi wasn't genius. He compiled together ideas of other guys.
Bitinvestor

Activity: 470

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:02:57 PM

Satoshi was a genius. Einstein didn't invent mathematics or physics, he merely came up with some new equations. Satoshi implemented Bitcoin almost on his own. If that's not genius then I don't know what is.

Those who cause problems for others also cause problems for themselves.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:08:17 PM

I'm sure D&T will be flattered. Definitely one of the best posters on the forum.

But I think you have missed the mark.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 06:09:40 PM

Satoshi was a genius. Einstein didn't invent mathematics or physics, he merely came up with some new equations. Satoshi implemented Bitcoin almost on his own. If that's not genius then I don't know what is.

I agree. If Satoshi is indeed only one person (I happen to believe he is), the elegance and simplicity of Bitcoin is the work of a genius.

From what I've read, he also seems to be the type of person more likely to lurk than post. If your bot is determining the likelihood of an online identity belonging to Satoshi based on the number of posts, it might be skewing your results.

Still around.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:16:50 PM

This.  The first time I learned about Bitcoin, I took a look at the whitepaper and code I found all kinds of "flaws".  It wasn't until hours (days?) of reading and researching that the elegance of the solution became visible (like a Polaroid appearing from the black).  It is humbling when you realize that you are looking at the product of someone far above your own capabilities and they have created what you previously considered impossible.  In a hundred years in a hundred parallel worlds I wouldn't have come up with the concept of Bitcoin, it was simply too alien.  It goes beyond just intelligence, the idea was simply outside my frame of reference.  The problem wasn't even one I considered that a solution existed.  

Now Satoshi's coding (nuts and bolts)?  Blech that is another story but nobody complains that Einstein's notes are hard to read because he had bad handwriting.

For the record:
I can't ask him "Are you Satoshi", well, I can, but I bet he will answer "No" in any case.
No.

Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:24:01 PM

Now Satoshi's coding (nuts and bolts)?  Blech that is another story but nobody complains that Einstein's notes are hard to read because he had bad handwriting.

U have placed two spaces between sentences! Just like Satoshi!  Wink

EDIT: The text I made bold was a hint! U r very smart, I suspect u just make appearance that u r not so smart...
keatonatron

Activity: 308

Jack of oh so many trades.

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:27:14 PM

U have placed two spaces between sentences! Just like Satoshi!  Wink

I place two spaces between sentences.  Am I Satoshi?

1KEATSvAhbB7yj2baLB5xkyJSnkfqPGAqk
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:28:49 PM

I place two spaces between sentences.  Am I Satoshi?

There were a lot of other correlations. But I'll put u into my list for the next iteration of the search. Smiley
phillyj

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:33:20 PM

EDIT: The text I made bold was a hint! U r very smart, I suspect u just make appearance that u r not so smart...

Maybe D&T is just part of the older generation. The 2 space after sentences was something they did in the early days of typing, I think. I had a teacher in middle school who told us to do that in reports.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:43:45 PM

Maybe D&T is just part of the older generation. The 2 space after sentences was something they did in the early days of typing, I think. I had a teacher in middle school who told us to do that in reports.

Exactly, 2 spaces to make it easier to read. D&T gave me a hint to pay attention to this, look at the text about Einstein.
pencileraser

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 06:54:12 PM

I love the OP's implying that whatever web scraper he wrote is some kind of amazing quantum AI that is so CPU-heavy he had to turn off all his mining programs while it rans for weeks doing the kinds of pattern recognition you usually see on TV shows like 24 or Person of Interest. I picture it like this:

-OP types "Who is Satoshi Nakamoto?" into his hackstation, which appears on 9 screens at once.
-Green letter scroll across black screens for hours, surveillance photos of asian men flash across the screen.
-Computer speaks in half robotic/half human voice "There are a number of possibilities, Michael"
-OP says "Narrow the search. Enhance the variables."
-Montage of OP pacing around his dark apartment while the computer runs.
-Computer speaks "You're not going to like this Michael".
-OP speaks: "Just give me the results, S.A.T.O. !"
-S.A.T.O. : "I've narrowed it down to a list of suspects. Number one is the forum poster DeathandTaxes"
-OP : "Okay, now we're getting somewhere. S.A.T.O., give me the case on DeathandTaxes"
-S.A.T.O.: "He gets quoted all the time on bitcointalk."
-OP: "BINGO. Thanks buddy. And now the game begins".

The superhackcomputer powers down as OP opens a forum window and types "WHO DEATHANDTAXES IS?".

Fade to black.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 07:08:42 PM

I love the OP's implying that whatever web scraper he wrote is some kind of amazing quantum AI that is so CPU-heavy he had to turn off all his mining programs while it rans for weeks doing the kinds of pattern recognition you usually see on TV shows like 24 or Person of Interest.

Hehe, not really. I stopped mining coz of The End Is Near. The bot is just a java application. It works on GPUs via http://www.jcuda.org/, it's not rocket science. I hope u satisfied.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2013, 07:11:34 PM

I love the OP's implying that whatever web scraper he wrote is some kind of amazing quantum AI that is so CPU-heavy he had to turn off all his mining programs while it rans for weeks doing the kinds of pattern recognition you usually see on TV shows like 24 or Person of Interest. I picture it like this:

-OP types "Who is Satoshi Nakamoto?" into his hackstation, which appears on 9 screens at once.
-Green letter scroll across black screens for hours, surveillance photos of asian men flash across the screen.
-Computer speaks in half robotic/half human voice "There are a number of possibilities, Michael"
-OP says "Narrow the search. Enhance the variables."
-Montage of OP pacing around his dark apartment while the computer runs.
-Computer speaks "You're not going to like this Michael".
-OP speaks: "Just give me the results, S.A.T.O. !"
-S.A.T.O. : "I've narrowed it down to a list of suspects. Number one is the forum poster DeathandTaxes"
-OP : "Okay, now we're getting somewhere. S.A.T.O., give me the case on DeathandTaxes"
-S.A.T.O.: "He gets quoted all the time on bitcointalk."
-OP: "BINGO. Thanks buddy. And now the game begins".

The superhackcomputer powers down as OP opens a forum window and types "WHO DEATHANDTAXES IS?".

Fade to black.

The AI should be making some snarky comments as well. For instance, OP should ask, "Are you certain?" and the computer should reply, "It's the only thing in life that is certain."

Still around.
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 07:16:33 PM

The AI should be making some snarky comments as well. For instance, OP should ask, "Are you certain?" and the computer should reply, "It's the only thing in life that is certain."

It's not AI (we don't wish to see "A Bitcoin user created SkyNet, the end is near" headlines, do we?) It's based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_and_dependence.  Grin
RoadToHell

Activity: 260

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 07:28:16 PM

DeathAndTaxes says it's not him/her.  Who's #2 on your list?

btw D&T, just to put all doubts to rest, what were you doing during the second half of 2008?

Sam Spade: We were talking about a lot more money than this.
Kasper Gutman: Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
May 10, 2013, 07:28:52 PM

Is this a disguised attempt to get people to dox D&T?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
#
May 10, 2013, 07:33:11 PM

DeathAndTaxes says it's not him/her.  Who's #2 on your list?

btw D&T, just to put all doubts to rest, what were you doing during the second half of 2008?

It doesn't matter, coz there are only 2 options here:

1. D&T is Satoshi, then #2 doesn't matter
2. The approach is incorrect, then #2 doesn't matter
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: