Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:50:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Handling splits: UASFs, BIP148, etc.  (Read 48558 times)
vectisitch
Legendary

Activity: 1927
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 09:23:50 AM

i have bitcoin in a trezor wallet, will that be safe to leave or should i move it to a bitcoin qt wallet?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sunny163

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 09:36:19 AM

i think still some of like me newbie are not clear about the things
Like if i have btc in exchange like bitfinex then what to do now ?
And what happens to coin if i don't do particular thing ?
thiec

Activity: 854
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 09:44:14 AM

Like i said before, some wallet may or may not save because not all wallet run in full node. Save here doesnt mean lost but have problem.
So if you get caught in the wallet that have node not running after the split than your coin will stuck until the wallet dev update their wallet
Yes, you can import your private key from stuck wallet and export to another wallet that run well as the solution.

If you optimistic about bitcoin, you just do nothing just see sit and enjoy the show. whoever the winner, your bitcoin still there. You only lost an opportunity to have "extra" coin that gain the minority hash and maybe get abandoned and no value at all.
We probably have strong swing of price but The REAL WINNER bitcoin will adjust the price after the storm, and go to the north

If you pessimistic or dont have a good heart to watch the show, just cash it out and BUY BACK the WINNER coin

If you tech savvy and like speculate, its the time to GAMBLE

s1lverbox
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1039

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 10:05:26 AM

i have bitcoin in a trezor wallet, will that be safe to leave or should i move it to a bitcoin qt wallet?

Yes, trezor is safe.

More read here: https://blog.trezor.io/contingency-plan-bitcoin-hard-fork-b6ce85cde028
ViceOfBTC21

Activity: 438
Merit: 266

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 10:22:23 AM

It's best bet to do it before 31 July. Buy some bitcoins if you can now because the network will become clogged few days before 1 August.
aesma

Activity: 2394
Merit: 916

fly or die

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 10:33:44 AM

Wallets don't store coins. The blockchain stores the coin. The wallet is just an interface.

Is your web browser holding your fiat because you can make a wire transfer using your bank's website ? No, your bank holds your fiat.

To be safe, what you need is the private keys of your BTC addresses. Nothing more, nothing less.
thiec

Activity: 854
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 10:48:24 AM

i think still some of like me newbie are not clear about the things
Like if i have btc in exchange like bitfinex then what to do now ?
And what happens to coin if i don't do particular thing ?

If the exchange is reliable, than your coin is safe.
The exchange will open deposit and wd after there is conclusion and continue the chain/start with new chain, whatever the result

BigWhaler

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 11:37:38 AM

This is the kind of information that I've been looking for. Some FB groups are spreading some high degree FUD leading to confusion among btc holders. Hopefully we'll have a solution to some of the problems that have marred bitcoin in recent times.
corpsejunior

Activity: 78

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 11:58:29 AM

I hope this doesn't produce a « don't do anything » or « put your bitcoins on sleep » as everybody needs to put their Bitcoins onchain and not leave them offchain to surf on top of the split.
Everybody will be awaiting until the storm finishes.
Funny thing, Bitcoin is known as a refuge currency. Now people needs a refuge to be protected from Bitcoin split.
heniohermes

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 12:15:21 PM

BTC
Wow this really is wild stuff and actually why I cam to the forum.

How do I check to see if my wallet will hold both the currencies? I'll bounce around on their website but does anyone have any pointers? Thanks in advance!
hoop
Legendary

Activity: 1523
Merit: 1001

NOBT - WNOBT your saving bank◕◡◕

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2017, 12:59:39 PM
Last edit: July 14, 2017, 01:27:04 PM by hoop

I've my bitcoin in electrum wallet and at bittrex exchange, the bitcoin at bittrex in buy orders for other coins ETH,Time and etc.. what's best option for those?

██████████  ██████████▄▄
         █████████████  ██████████████▄▄
   ▄███  █████▄                  ▀▀███████▄
  ██████   ▀█████▄          ████     ▀▀█████
 █████        ▀█████▄       ████        █████
 ████            ▀████      ████         ████
 ████         ██▄   ▀█  ██▄ ████         ████
 ████▌        █████▄    ████████        ▐████
 ▐████        ████████    ▀█████        ████▌
  █████       ████ ▀██  █▄   ▀██       █████
   █████      ████      ████▄         █████
    █████▄    ████       ▀█████▄    ▄█████
     ▀█████▄  ████          ▀█████▄   ██▀
       ▀█████▄                 ▀█████
         ▀██████▄▄          ▄▄██████▀
            ▀▀████████  ████████▀▀
                ▀▀████  ████▀▀
Take care of your financial privacy
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
A blockchain loyalty scheme and more
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

███████████████
███          ██████████████████
████████████████████████████████
███                          ███
███             ██           ███
███       ██   ██   ██       ███
███      ██    ██    ██      ███
███       ██  ██    ██       ███
████████████████████████████████

████    ████
       █████████ ████████

████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████
██████████████████ ███████████
██████████████████ ██    █████
██████████████████ ███████████
██████████████████
█████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████

▄█████▄
      ▄█████████
     ████    ███▌
    ███       ██▌
   ▐██ ███  ████
   ▄███████████
  ███████████▀
 ████  ███ ██▌
▐██       ███
▐███    ████
 █████████▀
  ▀█████▀
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
ANN         Discord
Twitter    Telegram
Nobt-plataform
akamit

Activity: 1484
Merit: 595

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 01:23:20 PM

From the beginning of my bitcoin journey, I am using web based wallets. Such as blockchain, xapo, coinbase.

For the upcoming event on August 1, now I have two ways open to secure my bitcoin according to this thread.

1. Transfer bitcoin to Bitcoin Core Wallet.
2. Convert to fiat.

But I am not interested in any of the ways.
Because bitcoin core setup will be a big headache for me due to its size and sync.
And I don't want to be a part, reason for bitcoin price drop by converting to fiat.

So I just want to know,
1. Currently I hold so many altcoins in different exchanges. So are my altcoins safe in exchanges due to August 1?
2. Will it be safe to buy more altcoins with my available bitcoins as to secure my bitcoin due to August 1? This is just to secure my bitcoins. There are some good coins such as Eth, Ltc

Though I also have confusion about the exchanges, what will be their decision after August 1.

corpsejunior

Activity: 78

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 01:42:13 PM

From the beginning of my bitcoin journey, I am using web based wallets. Such as blockchain, xapo, coinbase.

For the upcoming event on August 1, now I have two ways open to secure my bitcoin according to this thread.

2. Convert to fiat.

Because bitcoin core setup will be a big headache for me due to its size and sync.
And I don't want to be a part, reason for bitcoin price drop by converting to fiat.

So I just want to know,
1. Currently I hold so many altcoins in different exchanges. So are my altcoins safe in exchanges due to August 1?
2. Will it be safe to buy more altcoins with my available bitcoins as to secure my bitcoin due to August 1? This is just to secure my bitcoins. There are some good coins such as Eth, Ltc

Though I also have confusion about the exchanges, what will be their decision after August 1.

It's not about actually doing it, but giving oneself the possibility to do it, which is simply by storing private and public keys.
This way you can do it whenever you want.

Actually in my opinion you should get everything on Blockchain, don't leave anything off-chain which will be worthless after the fork.
What if the exchange suggests one to withdraw Bitcoin on the lower-end Bitcoin fork ? :/
aesma

Activity: 2394
Merit: 916

fly or die

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 01:46:58 PM

2. Convert to fiat.

So I just want to know,

You misunderstood. There is no need to install Bitcoin core. You can use a number of wallets, most of them don't download the whole blockchain. Electrum for example. If you start by making a paper wallet, you don't need to install any software wallet until after the 1st of August. In the meanwhile your coins will be safely on your paper address.

Altcoins are going down at the moment, you risk losing a lot.
Rozita

Activity: 658
Merit: 108

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 02:14:51 PM
Last edit: July 14, 2017, 02:45:37 PM by Rozita

It is impossible for me to use desktop wallets, paper wallets and hardware wallets. I can only use web wallets. Till now I have stored my bitcoins on exchanges (I know that it is not safe) and I would like to move them. I have also used blockchain.info. I read some posts here, I understood that Blockchain.info is not safe too. Which online wallet do you recommend? GreenAddress, BitGo or any other? Is it better to store my bitcoins in two or more wallets, not only one? Really I don't know what should I do.
GeneChe

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 02:49:42 PM

i am speechless....about all what i read here now.... Huh Huh[img]
GeneChe

Activity: 133

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 02:54:39 PM

It is impossible for me to use desktop wallets, paper wallets and hardware wallets. I can only use web wallets. Till now I have stored my bitcoins on exchanges (I know that it is not safe) and I would like to move them. I have also used blockchain.info. I read some posts here, I understood that Blockchain.info is not safe too. Which online wallet do you recommend? GreenAddress, BitGo or any other? Is it better to store my bitcoins in two or more wallets, not only one? Really I don't know what should I do.

Me too.....but why there are more miners and traders not know about this matter...?
Johnny00

Activity: 896
Merit: 553

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 03:20:03 PM

Guys don't be naive. Nothing will happen and those who panic until August 1. will lose they $$$.  Grin

Right now miners will not go for BIP 141. they will do segwit2x and bitcoin will fork. they don't like Bitcoin Core team. Bitcoin price already dropping.

|
We plan to invest over
$1 billion in the regulated, licensed,
and legal businesses to build the IOB Mesh
|
Same Token,IOB
Multiple Regulated
Security Token
ICOs Across the World.
|
TELEGRAM
TWITTER
GITHUB
REDDIT
中文电报群
MEDIUM
BITCOINTALK
LINKEDIN
pingu39

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 14, 2017, 03:25:55 PM

So why now that I've just started, I already need to understand all this, and now the separation of coins and insecure accounts

ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1819
Merit: 2792

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2017, 03:39:16 PM

Guys don't be naive. Nothing will happen and those who panic until August 1. will lose they $$$.  Grin

Right now miners will not go for BIP 141. they will do segwit2x and bitcoin will fork. they don't like Bitcoin Core team. Bitcoin price already dropping.

Miners are not going to go for BIP141 because they do not like the Core team?  Are you serious?  Roll Eyes

I'll admit... at first I was afraid, I was petrified. Kept thinking I could never live without bitcoin by my side.
I spent so many nights thinking how it did me wrong, then I grew strong... and I learned how to get along.  Grin

Don't worry, Bitcoin will survive.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: