Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:13:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Handling splits: UASFs, BIP148, etc.  (Read 48558 times)
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2017, 06:08:14 PM

I wonder why Bitcoin Unlimited (BTU) team created Bitcoin Unlimited through hard-fork? is safe that they created Bitcoin Unlimited as new ALt coin?
This is absolutely nothing to do with Bitcoin Unlimited.
So, Bitcoin Unlimited will be as Bitcoin, algo, protocol etc.. then why they make a split for?
A chain split could happen because of BIP 91 or BIP 148. These two BIPs are completely unrelated to Bitcoin Unlimited. Bitcoin Unlimited is completely unrelated to this topic. What BIPs 91 and 148 specify is that all blocks after a certain mining threshold (BIP 91) or after a certain date (BIP 148) must signal for segwit or be invalid. Thus there can be a chain split of not everyone is signalling for segwit as they will produce a block that would be invalid under the BIP 91 or BIP 148 rules and if other miners build on that block (because of either spy mining or that they are not enforcing the activated rules), then there will be a chain split.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sunny163

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 06:16:04 PM

This is their 19th try
http://segwit.co

And now around 49 % are supporting them and like in their previous trials the approx % of user support was around 25-30%

https://coin.dance/blocks/proposals

i think they both should come to some conclusion to avoid panic situation in people which can be seen in bitcoin price

And for this 19th trial 95% to them is not possible but they created a lot fluctuation in market and this can be intentional too
kuk

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 07:05:16 PM

- If you want to use both currencies at the same time or sell one of the currencies, then you will probably have to follow a somewhat-complicated series of steps possibly involving running some extra software in order to cleanly split your coins and eliminate the possibility of replay.

If the split happens will it be somehow possible (as i read in this article https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/bitcoin-beginners-guide-surviving-bip-148-uasf/) to send the coins, after some time obv., to an exchange which supports the split and do the "splitting" work for me or do i have to do sth in any case offline in the core wallet settings?

f.e. 1 btc on my core wallet - split happens - there is still 1btc in my wallet??? - will send the 1 btc to an exchange - have 2 coins in the exchange

I´m asking this because im not that familiar with settings, commands etc. of the core wallet and will probably not be able to work with commands in the console

or will there be probably an update of core which supports both coins?
nor9854

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 09:29:15 PM

I wonder why Bitcoin Unlimited (BTU) team created Bitcoin Unlimited through hard-fork? is safe that they created Bitcoin Unlimited as new ALt coin?
This is absolutely nothing to do with Bitcoin Unlimited.
So, Bitcoin Unlimited will be as Bitcoin, algo, protocol etc.. then why they make a split for?
A chain split could happen because of BIP 91 or BIP 148. These two BIPs are completely unrelated to Bitcoin Unlimited. Bitcoin Unlimited is completely unrelated to this topic. What BIPs 91 and 148 specify is that all blocks after a certain mining threshold (BIP 91) or after a certain date (BIP 148) must signal for segwit or be invalid. Thus there can be a chain split of not everyone is signalling for segwit as they will produce a block that would be invalid under the BIP 91 or BIP 148 rules and if other miners build on that block (because of either spy mining or that they are not enforcing the activated rules), then there will be a chain split.
If BIP148 is UASF (which doesnt require miners concensus) then why if some miners do not activate SegWit,there will be a split?

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
|
MEEMxyz

Activity: 18

View Profile
July 16, 2017, 09:41:39 PM

I have the private keys for multibit HD. Will that work out for me well?
Probably not. MultiBit HD does not allow you to choose which nodes you are connected to so you won't be able to choose which chain you want to use and transact on. It does not provide the (slightly) advanced functionality required to split your coins either.

So electrum is a better choice and gives me all the options I need. correct?

To give a quick answer, yes, for me Electrum is the best choice and gives you all the options needed.
Even better, that is the only "non-node" wallet that I have heard has posted in their website how to proceed in case of a hard fork.
Check it out:

http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/hardfork.html
thoth-Atlantian

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

I AM

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 12:34:57 AM

I hope logic wins

www.dlsag.ch      1ex.trade
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2017, 12:53:38 AM

If BIP148 is UASF (which doesnt require miners concensus) then why if some miners do not activate SegWit,there will be a split?
Because BIP 148 nodes and miners will enforce BIP 148 and reject any blocks which do not signal for segwit. If a miner is not signalling for segwit, then they will be producing blocks which are invalid under BIP 148 which the BIP 148 nodes and miners will reject. However those non-segwit miners and non-BIP 148 miners will still mine on top of the non-segwit block while the BIP 148 miners do not. This means that there will be one chain with a non-segwit block after BIP 148's activation and non-BIP148 miners will extend that chain. Meanwhile the BIp 148 miners will have rejected the non-segwit block and mined a segwit block at the same block height. They will then be extending  on that block and thus mining on a forked chain.

Joshapat

Activity: 1526
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 01:34:26 AM

Confused with this news, I'm still new know bitcoin, when I'm excited about collecting bitcoin it turns out the price drops,
I am sorry I did not follow from the beginning,
I just want to know, what is the safest wallet to save bitcoin?

▄▄███▄    ▄███▄▄
     ▄▀▀    █    █    ▀▀▄
    ██    ▄▄▀    ▀▄▄    ██
    ▀▄▄▄█▀▀        ▀▀█▄▄▄▀
  ▄▄█▀█▄              ▄█▀█▄▄
▄█▀     ▀▀█▄     ▄▄█▀▀     ▀█▄
██          ▀█▄▄█▀          ██
▀█▄     ▄▄▄█▀▀  ▀▀▀▄▄▄     ▄█▀
  ▀█▄▄▄▀▀            ▀▀▄▄▄█▀
   █▀▀▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▀▀█
   ██  ▀▀▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▀  ██
    ▀▄     █      █     ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▀      ▀▄▄▄▀▀
cogwise
  ▄
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █

█
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █
  ▀
Hyper-charge your trading with intelligent insights   ▄
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █

█
█  █
  █
█  █
  █
█  █
  ▀
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄███
███▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄███
███▀               ████
███▄              █████
████▄            ██████
█████▄▄        ▄███████
████▄       ▄██████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀

▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀

▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
█████  ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▀███████
█████  █████  ██▄▀█████
█████  █▀▀██▄▄▄▄  █████
█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████

█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████
█████  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █████
█████  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀

ClownSpider

Activity: 570
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 02:21:55 AM
Last edit: July 17, 2017, 07:13:04 AM by ClownSpider

In summary,
THERE IS NO REASON TO WORRY.
Store your own bitcoin, never use a website wallet.  Because: reasons.    
Also websites can scam people, exit scam, asshole scam, nice scam, bad scam.  etc

Fork? That's for eating.  If people ate with forks they wouldn't be talking so much BS.
If it splits, you're money might double?  BS.
Your money is safe, the blockchain is NOT going to zero out your coin.

Calm the fuck down!
Mycherla

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 04:03:16 AM

Thanks a lot for the valuable info, and I am sure split will not take place !!
buckrogers
Legendary

Activity: 2728
Merit: 1181

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 04:12:48 AM

Hi,

Has anyone seen the error in a Bitcoin QT before when trying to do:

walletpassphrase "passphrase" timeout

For example: walletpassphrase mysecretcode 60

I got a error:
Method not found (code -32601)

The current core version is being used.

I know my passcode, it's valid, that is not the problem, but I am unfamiliar with that specific error code. and why it wouldn't work to unlock the wallet within the console, but will unlock it to send funds?

I have seen in other QT wallets a repair feature.

Wondering if there may be a simple fix or a repair if even needed, to sort that out?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Well I'm dr. spock I'm here to rock y'all
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 04:18:16 AM

I got a error:

That means that it doesn't recognize "walletpassphrase" as a valid command. Maybe you misspelled it.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
buckrogers
Legendary

Activity: 2728
Merit: 1181

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 04:34:38 AM

I got a error:

That means that it doesn't recognize "walletpassphrase" as a valid command. Maybe you misspelled it.
Hi theymos,

Yea I thought the same thing, and copied it from the "help" menu which shows:

so still unsure why it returns that error?

weird and frustrating

thanks!

***edit***

also ran a few tests and did:

walletpassphrase "passphrase" 60

Error: The wallet passphrase entered was incorrect. (code -14)

Also plugged in the correct passphrase, and it returned the original error which is weirder. - Method not found (code -32601)

So if it sees that the walletpassphrase is incorrect in the above example and using the same syntax with a correct password shows it as "Method not found (code -32601)" ?

thanks!

Well I'm dr. spock I'm here to rock y'all
tiger2monkey

Activity: 208
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 04:59:03 AM

Thank you for the useful and detail info.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 05:28:37 AM

Also plugged in the correct passphrase, and it returned the original error which is weirder. - Method not found (code -32601)

I think that something in your password is confusing the command parser. Maybe take the issue to #bitcoin-core-dev on IRC or github.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
coldbitcoins

Activity: 15

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 05:52:26 AM

As a miner i will be mining both coins after split and then i will mine the the more profitable coin after a couple weeks.
arzaalafasy

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 06:14:20 AM

why it could be splitted? what happens?
ClownSpider

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 07:14:12 AM

Hi,

Has anyone seen the error in a Bitcoin QT before when trying to do:

For example: walletpassphrase mysecretcode 60

I got a error:

The current core version is being used.

I know my passcode, it's valid, that is not the problem, but I am unfamiliar with that specific error code. and why it wouldn't work to unlock the wallet within the console, but will unlock it to send funds?

I have seen in other QT wallets a repair feature.

Wondering if there may be a simple fix or a repair if even needed, to sort that out?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Put your question in tech support, not here.
replace "mysecretcode" with your actual password.
ClownSpider

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 07:18:08 AM

As a miner i will be mining both coins after split and then i will mine the the more profitable coin after a couple weeks.

There will be no split, if there is, nobody cares about Konye West's "Koinye", and nobody will care about some BS coin made by some other fool either.

Bitpay will use the main bitcoin, always.

Litecoin, Koinye, and other alt coins do not have a huge pool of merchants accepting those alt coins. 

Only Bitcoin is accepted at coffee shops, overstock, purse.so, and Lamborghini dealerships.

Only Bitcoin will be, as it is, as it always will be.

Fancy talk about technical junk with fancy nick names, means nothing.

Your coin will hold it's value.  The blockchain ledger is not going to zero your account.

NO you will not double your money.  Nobody will accept yet another Alt coin remixed off the blockchain of bitcoin.

Larger block size means FASTER verifications.

Why are people so scared?
Yefet

Activity: 643
Merit: 501

Crypto Mentat

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 07:24:04 AM

why it could be splitted? what happens?

because of BIP 148 for UASF to activate SegWit

check the OP again  Wink and the UASF site for more info

if tl;dr
here are some words from the site:

"BIP148 requires support from the economic majority, particularly exchanges and wallets. If this does not occur, node software supporting BIP148 should not be run after August 1st as it will cause a chain split leading to the abandonment of BIP148..."

Interesting infographic about different BIPs support can be found on Coin.Dance site

eg about the nodes - https://coin.dance/nodes/share
and positions of the economic majority - https://coin.dance/poli
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: