Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:08:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Handling splits: UASFs, BIP148, etc.  (Read 48558 times)
Mad_Max

Activity: 894
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 10:52:16 PM

I'm getting this error aswell:
Warning: Unknown block versions being mined! It's possible unknown rules are in effect

Relax. It is just some of miners began to signal ("vote") which version they support. They do it via modifying block headers a little bit and your client does not know what to do with this info. But it does not need to do anything now. This applies only to the miners.

There will be much more of such blocks in coming days as other miners join voting.

He знaя пoкoя и oтдыxa, Пpи лyннoм и coлнeчнoм cвeтe, Mы дeлaeм дeньги из вoздyxa, Чтoб cнoвa cпycтить иx нa вeтep!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sunny163

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 11:58:21 PM

as the price was decreasing i converted 20 btc to usd at 1910 then i though after august 1st i would buy again but now the price is increasing almost above 2200
i am thinking if i buy again and then if price decreases then again loss
What should i do now ?

Buy at 2200 ?
or wait for price drop ?
Ted E. Bare

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Bear with me

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 12:27:03 AM

as the price was decreasing i converted 20 btc to usd at 1910 then i though after august 1st i would buy again but now the price is increasing almost above 2200
What should i do now ?

Buy at 2200 ?
or wait for price drop ?

Buy and hold whatever amount feels comfortable. Don't try outsmart the market. You'll end up outsmarting yourself.
hoop
Legendary

Activity: 1523
Merit: 1001

NOBT - WNOBT your saving bank◕◡◕

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2017, 12:34:26 AM

What should i do now ?

Buy at 2200 ?
or wait for price drop ?
Sorry to hear that you get loss, but you chose wrong way. it's better to transfer your Bitcoin to your desktop wallet such as electrum desktop wallet.

██████████  ██████████▄▄
         █████████████  ██████████████▄▄
   ▄███  █████▄                  ▀▀███████▄
  ██████   ▀█████▄          ████     ▀▀█████
 █████        ▀█████▄       ████        █████
 ████            ▀████      ████         ████
 ████         ██▄   ▀█  ██▄ ████         ████
 ████▌        █████▄    ████████        ▐████
 ▐████        ████████    ▀█████        ████▌
  █████       ████ ▀██  █▄   ▀██       █████
   █████      ████      ████▄         █████
    █████▄    ████       ▀█████▄    ▄█████
     ▀█████▄  ████          ▀█████▄   ██▀
       ▀█████▄                 ▀█████
         ▀██████▄▄          ▄▄██████▀
            ▀▀████████  ████████▀▀
                ▀▀████  ████▀▀
Take care of your financial privacy
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
A blockchain loyalty scheme and more
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

███████████████
███          ██████████████████
████████████████████████████████
███                          ███
███             ██           ███
███       ██   ██   ██       ███
███      ██    ██    ██      ███
███       ██  ██    ██       ███
████████████████████████████████

████    ████
       █████████ ████████

████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████
██████████████████ ███████████
██████████████████ ██    █████
██████████████████ ███████████
██████████████████
█████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████

▄█████▄
      ▄█████████
     ████    ███▌
    ███       ██▌
   ▐██ ███  ████
   ▄███████████
  ███████████▀
 ████  ███ ██▌
▐██       ███
▐███    ████
 █████████▀
  ▀█████▀
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
ANN         Discord
Twitter    Telegram
Nobt-plataform
sunny163

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 03:19:34 AM

What should i do now ?

Buy at 2200 ?
or wait for price drop ?
Sorry to hear that you get loss, but you chose wrong way. it's better to transfer your Bitcoin to your desktop wallet such as electrum desktop wallet.

As the news and all the things in market caused me to lose trust on btc and value was drastically decreasing i sold at 1910 and value went down to 1826 i though decision was right but again it start climbing and now i am praying that if it comes to 2050 then also its ok but still it is 2165
buckrogers
Legendary

Activity: 2728
Merit: 1181

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 03:22:45 AM

What should i do now ?

Buy at 2200 ?
or wait for price drop ?

As the news and all the things in market caused me to lose trust on btc and value was drastically decreasing i sold at 1910 and value went down to 1826 i though decision was right but again it start climbing and now i am praying that if it comes to 2050 then also its ok but still it is 2165

Don't feel TOO bad Smiley

This time last year BTC was $681.0    

Hindsight is Always 20/20

Thanks!

Well I'm dr. spock I'm here to rock y'all
Joint Force

Activity: 804
Merit: 500

DAO ↔ DApp

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2017, 04:03:12 AM

Just as I said:

• There will be no split
  • There will always be only one Bitcoin.   Overstock, Lamborghini, Bitpay, Purse.so, (amazon), will always accept Bitcoin, not an Alt coin
  • No new Alt coin will be supported as widely as Bitcoin, so there will never be a split
  • Your bitcoin will not vanish, the blockchain will always remain
No,There will be split as topic title says and regarding the author this topic theymos. his posts clear there will be split on August 1.

I doubt there'll be a split as well. At the same time, you have to remember that bitcoin doesn't scale very big. If nothing changes, bitcoin will just be tool for rich people to move large sums of money around quick and cheap. Transaction fees will continue to rise. All the businesses that focus on smaller transaction value will have to leave and work with litecoin or dogecoin. We are at that point where it's either use litecoin or fork bitcoin.

dasgardo87

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 06:02:36 AM

What should i do now ?

Buy at 2200 ?
or wait for price drop ?

1. super safe way change it to fiat, end of problem
but if you worries that you might late for later train then take route 2. just pick major alt crypto, like zec or eth (as you can see when regarding this case btc up and down alt also have same pattern)

i believe if split really happen, then it will not only affect BTC in just a days or weeks, yet i also believe if split the only way to make better BTC in it's mechanism as crypto, even the bitter process for now will be result in more valuable BTC in the future

last but not least, take my opinion with grain of salt on it Smiley
Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 06:22:13 AM

What should i do now ?

Buy at 2200 ?
or wait for price drop ?

How safe is the Electrum Desktop wallet? Is there any chance that someone will steal my coins from the wallet, if my system is infected with trojans (I have McAfee in my system)? Also, how much are their charges?
sunny163

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 06:54:31 AM

What should i do now ?

Buy at 2200 ?
or wait for price drop ?

How safe is the Electrum Desktop wallet? Is there any chance that someone will steal my coins from the wallet, if my system is infected with trojans (I have McAfee in my system)? Also, how much are their charges?

Use green address and use 2 factor authentication i think then there is no chance of bitcoin at risk
boled

Activity: 590
Merit: 116

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 08:59:45 AM

I am confused, A little creepy, just wait and see... Cant wait to get past 1st August
riyaz22

Activity: 490
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 09:22:44 AM

Any affect of this split on whole crytocurrency market???Any altcoin get benefit because of this split???
kokoriko

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 09:34:10 AM

Could someone make a list of the safe wallets? And maybe also pin it on the first message of the topic starter!

i am now downloading a bootstrap.dat file in order to sync up my fresh Bitcoin-Qt installation with the network.

If electrum is in the list of the "safe" wallets, how is it safe since it might be using the "wrong" blockchain after the possible split? Or is it just because it lets me extract the private keys and therefore i am able to use them in any type of wallet i want anyway?

highly appreciate your quick insighful reply because i need to move fast (i suppose)

aesma

Activity: 2380
Merit: 916

fly or die

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 10:17:14 AM

So, your theory says: Now all bitcoin are worth 35bill dollars, if all people hold bitcoin and wait BTU then will double his money. So from where do you think that will be founded new 35 bill. for that? Do you really thinking about this?

Well, just like you cannot "duplicate" a car, but you can duplicate the CAD drawings for the car, the 35 dollar bill fiat example would mean a duplication of the actual bill.

This is the block chain, right? No actual bills. So, as soon as BTU forks, if I had $35 in BTC, then I will also have $35 BTU because now TWO blocks exist in this Universe. And the forking means that transactions will now be in different block chains.

I assume someone already realized this, and there might be a "security" feature, like for example, BTU will inspect BTC transactions? But if you have a new BTU address... will it track all the way to when it was BTC, to check then BTC transactions from the fork day to today? That seems almost impossible even with a ExaHash speed network that we have now for BTC.

By the way... I just had to research... what if I just cut in the middle a $100 bill, take one to one half to one bank and the other half to another bank? Well, it turns out you there is a centralized office that handles this, not the bank directly, and an accountant friend just shared that it seems that you must have at least 51% of the bill serial number, so that only THAT part of the bill will be replaced. If anyone turns with the other 49% it will be denied... interesting, right?

There is a misunderstanding. examplens understands what a fork is. He's talking about the dollar value of the new coins. A fork will cause each new coin to lose value, so that the sum of 1 new coin + 1 classic coin will be at best equal to the value of 1 coin before the fork (and probably much less).

So we will have twice more coins, but worth less than what we had before. At least at first. If both coins survive or if only one survives and we hold it, then the value could recover. If Bitcoin doesn't die from the fork and its consequences.

With Coinbase am I ok? Or should i use another kind of wallet?

Coinbase is not a wallet it's an exchange. People get banned from there if they use it as a wallet !

To be safe you must send your BTC to a bitcoin address from which you hold the private key.
aesma

fly or die

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 10:25:23 AM

Could someone make a list of the safe wallets? And maybe also pin it on the first message of the topic starter!

i am now downloading a bootstrap.dat file in order to sync up my fresh Bitcoin-Qt installation with the network.

If electrum is in the list of the "safe" wallets, how is it safe since it might be using the "wrong" blockchain after the possible split? Or is it just because it lets me extract the private keys and therefore i am able to use them in any type of wallet i want anyway?

highly appreciate your quick insighful reply because i need to move fast (i suppose)

Electrum has said they will support all forks if forks happen.

However that doesn't really matter. You must own the private key of your BTC, that's what matters.

If a fork happens and survives, you will look at the wallet situation at that moment, and use the right one.

Whatever wallet you're using now will have to be upgraded anyway.
BanzaiBTC
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Chipcoin Developer

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2017, 10:27:46 AM

Am I the only who thinks this whole scaling issue shouldve been solved early 2014? It's known for a while now that bitcoin in it's current form is not suitable for mass adoption/transactions... Last week my bank deposit was credited even faster than my bitcoin transaction Cheesy

If you want to blame anyone for this scaling/fork talk mess... Blame bitcoin core dev team for not taking appropiate action sooner... (Cmon, a 2-3 years and ongoing discussion about upscaling?? Epic fail)
hv_
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1055

Clean Code and Scale

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2017, 10:34:48 AM

Am I the only who thinks this whole scaling issue shouldve been solved early 2014? It's known for a while now that bitcoin in it's current form is not suitable for mass adoption/transactions... Last week my bank deposit was credited even faster than my bitcoin transaction Cheesy

If you want to blame anyone for this scaling/fork talk mess... Blame bitcoin core dev team for not taking appropiate action sooner... (Cmon, a 2-3 years and ongoing discussion about upscaling?? Epic fail)

Hm - I rather wonder, why this shitty 1MB is there in the consensus protocol, not a user configuration param at all (I can define my own SPAM or pay for max size  in my mail account, as I want it ...).

Having this 'indefinite thing' in the consensus, anyone can start any 'tech' stuff around that shit and call them a geek ....

Carpe diem  -  understand the White Paper and mine honest.
Fix real world issues: Check out b-vote.com
The simple way is the genius way - Satoshi's Rules: humana veris _
aesma

fly or die

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 12:18:31 PM

A block is made up of many transactions. Which user should decide the size of the block ?
ByteFree

Activity: 630
Merit: 116

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 12:32:12 PM

I can`t understand, why the devs make *shitty 1MB* Why they did`t set it about 2MB or maybe 20MB? What are they target?
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2017, 01:01:03 PM

I can`t understand, why the devs make *shitty 1MB* Why they did`t set it about 2MB or maybe 20MB? What are they target?

The idea is to "grow" the size with the "technology", to keep your blockchain on a portable device, to keep it "democratic" and "decentralized". The original idea was not for Bitcoin to replace Visa in transaction processing.

If you make it 20MB, the limit will be reached in no time (by attacks or otherwise).  And you'll be facing the same problem.

Making it "unlimited" is doomed for failure.  Positive feedback, really.  You are not solving the underlying problem: how to control the growth.

The algorithm should control the human behavior, i.e. how users use Bitcoin, not the other way around.

You do not adjust the algorithm to accommodate user wants/wishes.  Algorithm should dictate how the Bitcoin will grow or be used.

The support for "unlimited" blocks is strong enough to fracture bitcoin into two currencies.  That is fine.  Just wait to see the "unlimited version" fail, naturally.  I think the core developers got this right, very mature of them.  They are not some yahoos who learned how to code in their parents basements.

Not to worry, keep your chain/wallet on a portable device, offline, and you'll be fine.  In worse case, you'll end up with two chains/wallets.

After this is over, the price of bitcoin core will zoom to new heights.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: