Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:11:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Handling splits: UASFs, BIP148, etc.  (Read 48558 times)
jooj

Activity: 650
Merit: 350

NOBT - WNOBT your saving bank◕◡◕

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2017, 01:39:22 PM

Hi, I'm actually using BTC.com to store my Bitcoin and I'm not sure if this site is safe. Can you guys verify if that bank is good to store? or Do i need to move my coins to Bitcoin core?. I'm just worried that my coins will be split or lose, I have save some coins now and I don't want to waste my hard work from it. Thanks Guys
All you need is keep your Bitcoin in a wallet you control, and have your addresses private keys in safe place. chose the wallet that suit you at OP.

██████████  ██████████▄▄
         █████████████  ██████████████▄▄
   ▄███  █████▄                  ▀▀███████▄
  ██████   ▀█████▄          ████     ▀▀█████
 █████        ▀█████▄       ████        █████
 ████            ▀████      ████         ████
 ████         ██▄   ▀█  ██▄ ████         ████
 ████▌        █████▄    ████████        ▐████
 ▐████        ████████    ▀█████        ████▌
  █████       ████ ▀██  █▄   ▀██       █████
   █████      ████      ████▄         █████
    █████▄    ████       ▀█████▄    ▄█████
     ▀█████▄  ████          ▀█████▄   ██▀
       ▀█████▄                 ▀█████
         ▀██████▄▄          ▄▄██████▀
            ▀▀████████  ████████▀▀
                ▀▀████  ████▀▀
Take care of your financial privacy
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
A blockchain loyalty scheme and more
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

███████████████
███          ██████████████████
████████████████████████████████
███                          ███
███             ██           ███
███       ██   ██   ██       ███
███      ██    ██    ██      ███
███       ██  ██    ██       ███
████████████████████████████████

████    ████
       █████████ ████████

████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████
██████████████████ ███████████
██████████████████ ██    █████
██████████████████ ███████████
██████████████████
█████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████

▄█████▄
      ▄█████████
     ████    ███▌
    ███       ██▌
   ▐██ ███  ████
   ▄███████████
  ███████████▀
 ████  ███ ██▌
▐██       ███
▐███    ████
 █████████▀
  ▀█████▀
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
ANN         Discord
Twitter    Telegram
Nobt-plataform
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rico666
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1037

฿ → ∞

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2017, 01:41:46 PM

I do not fully agree on the

First of all, remove all bitcoins possible from banks/exchanges/"hosted wallets".

By "fully", I mean: Yes, if you are an inexperienced newbie and want to be on the totally safe side, this is what to do.

From experience with the ETH/ETC split, let me offer an alternative perspective on this, because I think it applies here very well:

At the time of the split, I had ETH at both BTC-e and at Kraken.

While at BTC-e this meant no ETC for me (of the same amount as I had ETH in there), at Kraken, I suddenly had magically <amount> ETC and the same <amount> ETH.

While the ETH/ETC split was intentional and we do not know if a similar thing will happen to BTC, it may happen and if it does, there are the following scenarios what may happen if you have your BTC at some exchange/bank:

• The Bank will only keep holding what it considers the "major" branch/split/fork of BTC. I.e. the "successor"
  • The Bank will automagically provide you with both branches - read: wallets - (a.k.a. BTC and BTC-classic)
  • The Bank will provide you only with the - from your perspective - "less desired branch".

It is only the 1st and 3rd scenario where the bank would f** you over and that justifies the precaution of not keeping any funds "at banks".
In the 1st one you lose potentially some assets of an alternate currency that may have quite some value, in the 3rd one you would
lose the majority of your value.

In case your Bank/Exchange will publish a handling policy in case of a non-negligible split that resembles case 2, I think it is not only safe, but also comfortable to keep the funds as is.

Executive Summary: If in doubt, go with the Theymos default. If exporting/selling BTC is a hassle and you trust your bank and it claims it would handle the split like giving you both coins: consider also "doing nothing" i.e. no moving the coins.

all non self-referential signatures except mine are lame ... oh wait ...   ·  LBC Thread (News)  ·  Past BURST Activities
Feracitus

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 02:01:50 PM

First of all, remove all bitcoins possible from banks/exchanges/"hosted wallets".

By "fully", I mean: Yes, if you are an inexperienced newbie and want to be on the totally safe side, this is what to do.

From experience with the ETH/ETC split, let me offer an alternative perspective on this, because I think it applies here very well:

While at BTC-e this meant no ETC for me (of the same amount as I had ETH in there), at Kraken, I suddenly had magically <amount> ETC and the same <amount> ETH.

While the ETH/ETC split was intentional and we do not know if a similar thing will happen to BTC, it may happen and if it does, there are the following scenarios what may happen if you have your BTC at some exchange/bank:

• The Bank will only keep holding what it considers the "major" branch/split/fork of BTC. I.e. the "successor"
  • The Bank will automagically provide you with both branches - read: wallets - (a.k.a. BTC and BTC-classic)
  • The Bank will provide you only with the - from your perspective - "less desired branch".

It is only the 1st and 3rd scenario where the bank would f** you over and that justifies the precaution of not keeping any funds "at banks".
In the 1st one you lose potentially some assets of an alternate currency that may have quite some value, in the 3rd one you would

In case your Bank/Exchange will publish a handling policy in case of a non-negligible split that resembles case 2, I think it is not only safe, but also comfortable to keep the funds as is.

Executive Summary: If in doubt, go with the Theymos default. If exporting/selling BTC is a hassle and you trust your bank and it claims it would handle the split like giving you both coins: consider also "doing nothing" i.e. no moving the coins.

Quite a winded post that in the end justifies the argument it was supposed to rebut.
identifyuser

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 04:10:16 PM

Where I can see the statistics of the transition to BIP91?
Yefet

Activity: 643
Merit: 501

Crypto Mentat

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 04:13:38 PM

Coin.Dance is quite informative
SativaDiva

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

23. English BA. OnlyFans.com/MistressLovely

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2017, 04:33:51 PM

I am new to the BTC world so this post was a great guide for me. Question: anyone know the best wallet for ETH?
identifyuser

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 04:40:01 PM

Coin.Dance is quite informative
Thanks!

I am new to the BTC world so this post was a great guide for me. Question: anyone know the best wallet for ETH?
ONLY myetherwallet
sunny163

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 05:20:44 PM

Does it will change anything if this is above 50 % ?

http://segwit.co/
coinmania

Activity: 97

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 05:50:46 PM

I recommend Electrum!

"Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us get up and go to work" Stephen King

Just sayin: 158xW3o63zdGe6wCQH5edyrjm5RFzTqghn
Yefet

Activity: 643
Merit: 501

Crypto Mentat

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 06:08:57 PM

Does it will change anything if this is above 50 % ?

http://segwit.co/

Nope, 95% are needed for Segwit to lock in
mdnajir

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 08:15:19 PM

Thanks of lot your full Gide. i l ikke it .
again thanks
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
July 21, 2017, 10:35:44 PM

Quite a winded post that in the end justifies the argument it was supposed to rebut.
I disagree. If an exchange wants to maintain credibility with its customers then it will need to develop and publish a policy regarding what they will do with coins from each side of anticipated splits that are expected to have any value and act accordingly. Most exchanges have already done this. 

If exchanges do not do this then customers will not have confidence in their ability to protect their money. If this happens then exchanges will have difficulty attracting customers to trade on their platform, which would be detrimental to their business.
MyMoneyShark

Activity: 84

Spectiv VR Crowdsale: 08/14/17

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 05:49:32 AM

So, now BIP 91 is locked in.
Does it meant that all danger (about split) is already behind?

SpectivVR                                                Crowdsale: 8/14 - 9/4
VR Streaming Platform & Attention Markets                  [ Website ]
BitcoinTalk  |  Slack  |  Twitter  |  LinkedIn  |  Medium  |  Facebook  |  Instagram
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2017, 06:26:02 AM

So, now BIP 91 is locked in.
Does it meant that all danger (about split) is already behind?
No. There is still potential for a split with BIP 91 as many miners may be false signaling or spy mining thus end up mining a BIP 91 invalid fork. This would be reorged out later once they notice/the other side of the fork catches up and becomes longer. The likelihood of a persistent chain split is low, but there may be many non-persistent forks.

KNK

Activity: 692
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 09:31:18 AM

Once again - it is no different from having orphaned blocks, which happens all the time (see https://blockchain.info/orphaned-blocks ) and does not do any harm.

For a spy mining on invalid blocks to succeed one will need 51+% of the hashpower.
At best we will have few blocks of transactions to reconfirm and the miner working on invalid blocks will loose income when they get orphaned, so very unlikely they'l even try.
At worst there will be some panic after few consecutive blocks in an invalid fork, which will drop the price a bit, but just until they get orphaned and will quickly rebound (and even rise higher)

Mega Crypto Polis - www.MegaCryptoPolis.com
BTC tips: 1KNK1akhpethhtcyhKTF2d3PWTQDUWUzHE
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2017, 09:55:44 AM
Last edit: July 22, 2017, 10:08:39 AM by Gyrsur

what about the BitcoinCash split? a fork to >1MB blocks will happen with BitcoinCash on 08/01/2017 right?

Code:
       --> BTC
BTC --
       --> BCC

torrentco

Activity: 2100
Merit: 418

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 10:30:32 AM

hope the prices will sky rocket after aug 1st.
KNK

Activity: 692
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 10:35:41 AM

what about the BitcoinCash split? a fork to >1MB blocks will happen with BitcoinCash on 08/01/2017 right?

Code:
       --> BTC
BTC --
       --> BCC

IMHO that's a new altcoin being born not a Bitcoin split. You will just start with some altcoins on that chain (if you own your private keys), which you may sell for profit or simply ignore.
Bitcoin will also fork to 2MB blocks later, but it will happen smoothly the same way we saw now with BIP91

Mega Crypto Polis - www.MegaCryptoPolis.com
BTC tips: 1KNK1akhpethhtcyhKTF2d3PWTQDUWUzHE
Kazan

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 01:31:07 PM

Many thanks for clarifying all this stuff for new . bee to understand whats going on
Vishnu.Reang

Activity: 1974
Merit: 453

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2017, 03:38:49 PM

As I could see from the Coin Dance website, one of the blocks mined yesterday (block number 476909, relayed by CANOE) was not BIP 141 compatible. So what will happen to this block?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: