Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:39:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Guide] Handling splits: UASFs, BIP148, etc.  (Read 48558 times)
akamit

Activity: 1484
Merit: 595

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 04:36:01 AM

If i transfer my bitcoin to a paper wallet created by bitaddress.org, I should be good correct?

I send the btc to blockchain.info and instantly get it out of there on a paper wallet.

I do not trust blockchain.info to store for longer than a few seconds its just very convenient to use for the paper wallet.

I have transferred all my btc to 2 paper wallets. I created the paper wallet by bitaddress.org

But at first I made tests in two different ways.
1. with password
2. without password

I tried to sweep it through copay as a test, when I created the BIP38 Encrypted paper wallet.
But copay did not supported BIP38 Encrypted paper wallet, some error was popping up.
And then I tried to import at blockchain.info, it was fine.

I don't know what will happen after August 1.
But I hope Theymos will update this thread with further instructions.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
exponential

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:22:52 AM

I have coins in an older version of multibit.  When I export the private keys, it saves them and I can view them in a text editing software.  Am I going to be safe for whatever happens on August first?  Let's say my wallet doesn't work after August first, will I just be able to enter the private key into Electrum and still have my bitcoins?  Thanks.
Alphaz841x

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 05:30:02 AM

The risk begins after BIP 91 activates.

Hey, can i ask you one more question? Is the risk just about trading with people you don't know or overall sending transactions/receiving them?
I want to transfer my bitcoins from electrum cold storage to trezor, but not sure whether it's safe to do it now or is the risk we are talking about involving even the transactions i do to myself (from one of my wallets to another of my wallets).
rkat55

Activity: 39

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2017, 12:51:54 PM

I have a few questions I don't see definitive answers to in this thread or anywhere else

If you have your BTC in a wallet you hold the keys for will you definitely receive BCC as well?

HOW will you receive the BCC (Bitcoin Cash)?

Are there any desktop wallets (like jaxx or exodus) that you will automatically receive BCC?
Ludwig Von

Activity: 854
Merit: 307

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 01:00:33 PM

I have a few questions I don't see definitive answers to in this thread or anywhere else

If you have your BTC in a wallet you hold the keys for will you definitely receive BCC as well?

HOW will you receive the BCC (Bitcoin Cash)?

Are there any desktop wallets (like jaxx or exodus) that you will automatically receive BCC?

I basically have the same question :

The coins are in the electrum wallet, the private keys are stored on external not connected media, so what 's next?

I am bad in catching falling knives, always get hurt... .
Ludwig Von

Activity: 854
Merit: 307

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 02:24:37 PM

And do I understand this well : Electrum is not going to support BCC ? And what is the consequence?

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-cash-huobi-and-electrum-signal-their-position-on-new-fork

I am bad in catching falling knives, always get hurt... .
sunny163

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 03:47:06 PM

i was having conversation with green address they also said that they also dont support bitcoin cash

So which wallet support bitcoin cash that is the question now
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2017, 09:19:15 PM

i was having conversation with green address they also said that they also dont support bitcoin cash

I think it will be the  dedicated wallet/s. Some of them are listed on BitcoinCash official site.
You are wrong. First of all, Bitcoin doesn't have official website. If you are talking about Bitcoin.org - if wallet listed here, it doesn't means that it will support BitcoinCash. For example, Coinbase listed here, but they stated that they wont support BitcoinCash. Same case with GreenAddress and more other wallets.

snorlx

Activity: 112

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 01:18:13 AM

Thank you for all the excellent guidelines..

sunny163

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 04:50:33 AM

I think it will be the  dedicated wallet/s. Some of them are listed on BitcoinCash official site.
You are wrong. First of all, Bitcoin doesn't have official website. If you are talking about Bitcoin.org - if wallet listed here, it doesn't means that it will support BitcoinCash. For example, Coinbase listed here, but they stated that they wont support BitcoinCash. Same case with GreenAddress and more other wallets.

So now where to keep BTC who supports BCC and will convert into BTC and BCC after 1st aug
aesma

Activity: 2380
Merit: 916

fly or die

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 05:25:43 AM

He talked about the BitcoinCASH official website, not bitcoin.org.
usernamehere

Activity: 85

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 06:37:59 AM

Anyone have any input on whether or not it's a good idea to consolidate inputs in a particular wallet prior to Aug 1st?  For example let's say I have 100 inputs of .001 BTC at a particular address to give me .1 BTC total.  Should I try to consolidate my inputs to take advantage of the low fees per Byte for transactions on the network, or just leave it be?   

Home Miner - Block #456763 on Kano.is
mmo4me.2016

Activity: 812
Merit: 256

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 07:24:21 AM

Thanks, this is agreat info at the moment! I think we have nothing change on date 1/8. It good for member!
sunny163

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 07:26:15 AM

Thanks, this is agreat info at the moment! I think we have nothing change on date 1/8. It good for member!

but bitcoin cash will be going to copy the blockchain
i am not getting where to keep btc to get bcc and btc both after 1st aug
naska21

Activity: 1358
Merit: 635

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 08:18:26 AM

but bitcoin cash will be going to copy the blockchain
i am not getting where to keep btc to get bcc and btc both after 1st aug

Neither of wallets keep your coins. They keep the pair of private - public keys. All you need to get bcc and btc after 1 st Aug is to import your private key into relevant wallet. One of them will be solely for btc the other one for bcc
ironhide0991

Activity: 35

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 11:03:04 AM

Hello bitcoinworld.

Currently I have my coins on an exchange. With August 1 fast approaching I need to move my coins offline. I am currently considering moving them to my paper wallet which I have sweeped on blockchain.info.
Do you guys think this would be safe? Will I get to spend both the coins in case of chain split? I was also thinking of moving them to bitcoin core wallet but the syncing is taking too long. Hardware wallet is not an option as I don't get it where I live and getting it shipped will take some time.
Please advise as to what option is the best for me.
Thanks.
naska21

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 11:50:55 AM

Neither of wallets keep your coins. They keep the pair of private - public keys. All you need to get bcc and btc after 1 st Aug is to import your private key into relevant wallet. One of them will be solely for btc the other one for bcc

I got some PM asking to give more details on this. So, actually u are keeping btc not in the wallet but on the address. Keep your btc  on any address u control with the private key.  As an option u may go to https://www.bitaddress.org/   generate a pair of private-public (the last of the pair is  your address)  key   (write it down and keep in the safe place) and send your btc to the address (public key) u generated. Then, when needed,  you may import the private key in any wallet u choose. After Aug 1st when the  all settle down you may import the private key relevant to your address to the wallet that synchronises with btc chain (to get control of your btc) and at same time  to another wallet that synchronises with bcc chain (to get control of your bcc)
ironhide0991

Activity: 35

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 11:59:39 AM

I got some PM asking to give more details on this. So, actually u are keeping btc not in the wallet but on the address. Keep your btc  on any address u control with the private key.  As an option u may go to https://www.bitaddress.org/   generate a pair of private-public (the last of the pair is  your address)  key   (write it down and keep in the safe place) and send your btc to the address (public key) u generated. Then, when needed,  you may import the private key in any wallet u choose. After Aug 1st when the  all settle down you may import the private key relevant to your address to the wallet that synchronises with btc chain (to get control of your btc) and at same time  to another wallet that synchronises with bcc chain (to get control of your bcc)

Thanks for that info. I have a bitaddress generated paper wallet with private and public keys. I have just withdrawn my BTC from the exchange to the paper wallet and it's pending confirmations. So, if I am understanding this correctly, you can spend your BTC on both the chains simultaneously after the split, right? Kind of like double spending, one on each chain?
naska21

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 12:10:09 PM
Last edit: August 19, 2018, 02:45:20 PM by naska21

Thanks for that info. I have a bitaddress generated paper wallet with private and public keys. I have just withdrawn my BTC from the exchange to the paper wallet and it's pending confirmations. So, if I am understanding this correctly, you can spend your BTC on both the chains simultaneously after the split, right? Kind of like double spending, one on each chain?

Yes, in general you are correct, but you can spend them not only simultaneously but in asynchronous way

OnlineMoney

Activity: 49

View Profile
July 27, 2017, 01:48:01 PM

If you want to use your smartphone regarding this, according to theymos he is recommending electrum for mobile right?
Android app name: Electrum Bitcoin Wallet
Developer: Electrum Technologies GmbH
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 »
  Print  

Jump to: