Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 01:41:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any solo miners here with less than 1GH/s?  (Read 2451 times)
Mousepotato (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:52:51 PM

I was just wondering if there's any solo miners floating around who have less than 1GH/s of hashing power.  When did you last find a block, if ever?  How long did it take? What kind of MH/s are you running at? I'm just wondering if it's even worth solo'ing at this point.

Mousepotato

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
phewajack

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:58:19 PM

Solo miner, running 440 mh/s, ran solo for a while, realized I would basically never find a block, switch to pool mining.  That is where it's at.  Especially with difficulty increases and the increase in hashing power it's better to join a pool.  I'm part of Slush's pool, http://mining.bitcoin.cz and have had really good luck in there so far.  Have not found any blocks, but have made some bit coins, and at a rate greater than what it claims I should find a block myself. 

My specs:
2x HD 5770's
Guiminer
Running 970/300 on each
220 mh/s per card
LegitBit

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:00:46 PM

It is a gamble, the more power the more 'tickets' you are putting in the lottery.

I have a few CPU miners chugging away solo, they are not significant for pooled mining, but solo they at least have a chance of large rewards for very little hashrate, but my 1Ghash on GPUs are going to a pool.

Statistically it could take over a year for one block.. maybe never.. maybe five minutes after you turn it on.

Best deal is to setup your miners at a pool, then use a backup solo miner in case the pool goes down, that way you 'might' get a block in the downtime.

Donate : 1EiAKUmTVtqXsaGLKQQVvLT9DDnHsT7jTZ (Block Explorer)
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:07:14 PM

Statistically it could take over a year for one block.. maybe never.. maybe five minutes after you turn it on.

All I can say is don't give up if you're solo. I was at slush for months, and one of my GPU's found 3 blocks in total while the majority stood at 0, with random single blocks spread across workers.

Seems like an extreme statistical anomaly, which it is (because I had up to 16 workers online) but that could be your single GPU.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:33:42 PM

I've been on multiple pools with a lot of hashing power for a couple months now. I've found 0 blocks total. It's possible I just have really bad luck, but I'd still be one sad puppy if I had been hashing away on my hashpower and had nothing to show for it after all this time (I've gotten something on the order of 400BTC from pools, wish I had sold less @ $7 Sad ).
evlew

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:11:52 PM

I thought about solo mining with my first 1ghps miner.  In the end I went pooled and found a block in the first week of mining.  Such is life.  I couldn't possibly conclude that I would have found that block if I had been solo mining, though.  Right?  Hopefully?  Not that I care, I'm just happy to be in the game either way.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:03:23 AM

not worth it, even with something like 10 GH/s, it's possible to go a full month without finding a single block if you got hit with a difficult one

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
nebiki

Activity: 742
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:32:56 AM

not worth it, even with something like 10 GH/s, it's possible to go a full month without finding a single block if you got hit with a difficult one

they're all the same difficulty. but yes, imagine you'd have to get 5 mil shares for your first block. that would take you years. and at the current difficulty 5 mil shares is not too unrealistic.

THE BEST IN SPACE
AUTO-COMPOUNDING DEFI 3.0
PROTOCOL ON BSC
▀█▄▄▄                                                                      ▄▄▄█▀
▀██
████▄▄▄                                                          ▄▄▄██████▀
▀▀███
██████▄▄▄                                              ▄▄▄█████████▀▀
▀▀████
████████▄▄▄                                ▄▄▄████████████▀▀
▀████████████████▄ ▄▄                  ▄▄ ▄████████████████▀
████████████████████▄▄          ▄▄████████████████████
▀█████████████████████        █████████████████████▀
▀████
███████████████▌      ▐███████████████
████▀