Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:51:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any solo miners here with less than 1GH/s?  (Read 2451 times)
Mousepotato (OP)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:52:51 PM

I was just wondering if there's any solo miners floating around who have less than 1GH/s of hashing power.  When did you last find a block, if ever?  How long did it take? What kind of MH/s are you running at? I'm just wondering if it's even worth solo'ing at this point.

Mousepotato

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
phewajack

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:58:19 PM

Solo miner, running 440 mh/s, ran solo for a while, realized I would basically never find a block, switch to pool mining.  That is where it's at.  Especially with difficulty increases and the increase in hashing power it's better to join a pool.  I'm part of Slush's pool, http://mining.bitcoin.cz and have had really good luck in there so far.  Have not found any blocks, but have made some bit coins, and at a rate greater than what it claims I should find a block myself. 

My specs:
2x HD 5770's
Guiminer
Running 970/300 on each
220 mh/s per card
LegitBit

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:00:46 PM

It is a gamble, the more power the more 'tickets' you are putting in the lottery.

I have a few CPU miners chugging away solo, they are not significant for pooled mining, but solo they at least have a chance of large rewards for very little hashrate, but my 1Ghash on GPUs are going to a pool.

Statistically it could take over a year for one block.. maybe never.. maybe five minutes after you turn it on.

Best deal is to setup your miners at a pool, then use a backup solo miner in case the pool goes down, that way you 'might' get a block in the downtime.

Donate : 1EiAKUmTVtqXsaGLKQQVvLT9DDnHsT7jTZ (Block Explorer)
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:07:14 PM

Statistically it could take over a year for one block.. maybe never.. maybe five minutes after you turn it on.

All I can say is don't give up if you're solo. I was at slush for months, and one of my GPU's found 3 blocks in total while the majority stood at 0, with random single blocks spread across workers.

Seems like an extreme statistical anomaly, which it is (because I had up to 16 workers online) but that could be your single GPU.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 09:33:42 PM

I've been on multiple pools with a lot of hashing power for a couple months now. I've found 0 blocks total. It's possible I just have really bad luck, but I'd still be one sad puppy if I had been hashing away on my hashpower and had nothing to show for it after all this time (I've gotten something on the order of 400BTC from pools, wish I had sold less @ $7 Sad ).
evlew

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:11:52 PM

I thought about solo mining with my first 1ghps miner.  In the end I went pooled and found a block in the first week of mining.  Such is life.  I couldn't possibly conclude that I would have found that block if I had been solo mining, though.  Right?  Hopefully?  Not that I care, I'm just happy to be in the game either way.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:03:23 AM

not worth it, even with something like 10 GH/s, it's possible to go a full month without finding a single block if you got hit with a difficult one

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
nebiki

Activity: 742
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:32:56 AM

not worth it, even with something like 10 GH/s, it's possible to go a full month without finding a single block if you got hit with a difficult one

they're all the same difficulty. but yes, imagine you'd have to get 5 mil shares for your first block. that would take you years. and at the current difficulty 5 mil shares is not too unrealistic.

THE BEST IN SPACE
AUTO-COMPOUNDING DEFI 3.0
PROTOCOL ON BSC
▀█▄▄▄                                                                      ▄▄▄█▀
▀██
████▄▄▄                                                          ▄▄▄██████▀
▀▀███
██████▄▄▄                                              ▄▄▄█████████▀▀
▀▀████
████████▄▄▄                                ▄▄▄████████████▀▀
▀████████████████▄ ▄▄                  ▄▄ ▄████████████████▀
████████████████████▄▄          ▄▄████████████████████
▀█████████████████████        █████████████████████▀
▀████
███████████████▌      ▐███████████████
████▀