Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:28:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Interface Optimization  (Read 9034 times)
alkor

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2011, 06:49:56 PM

I've pushed the current state to github:

https://github.com/laanwj/bitcoin-qt/

Do you have a Bitcoin address where we can post donations? I was actually thinking of creating a bounty for a Qt port of the GUI, but you already created one Smiley
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wumpus
qt

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 16, 2011, 06:46:05 PM
Last edit: June 12, 2011, 11:19:00 AM by John Smith

Do you have a Bitcoin address where we can post donations? I was actually thinking of creating a bounty for a Qt port of the GUI, but you already created one Smiley
Yeah I do: see signature

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
wumpus
qt

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 05:54:36 AM
Last edit: June 10, 2011, 01:07:34 PM by John Smith

I've been pretty silent on this, but work has continued. Most was ground work thinking out what is the best way to bind the GUI to bitcoin core, but at least it now displays the actual transactions and statistics (and in addition to the original client, has sortable columns by clicking on the headers). Things I still need to do to make it functional;

• Refresh transaction list when new blocks came in (requires a restart now  Cheesy)
  • Sending coins
  • Show error messages/alerts from core
  • More thorough testing of the view with all the kinds of transactions (sendmany, generation)

Lower priority:
  • Fix address book editor
  • Fix options editor
  • Show transaction details

Future:
  • Separation of data types from core, so that it works through the API as well as in-process

implemented

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 05:33:27 PM

I wonder if "Your receiving address" bar is necessary. I suppose it is supposed to encourages the use of a new address with every transaction, but I would guess most people do not do that (consider how many people have a bitcoin address in their forum signature). In fact, the 'address bar' gave me the impression that the initial address was my ONLY address and I became very confused when it changed. I thought I lost my recently received coins!

Perhaps replacing the address bar with a [New receiving address] button would be sufficient. Of course, a tab listing all addresses (used and 'hidden') would also help demystify the addresses hidden in the keypool.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
wumpus
qt

View Profile
May 30, 2011, 06:44:09 PM

The top bar is there purely for convenience, so that it's possible to easily copy/paste your address somewhere. It could be hidden, but that could confuse people in another way: where do I find my own address?

I think by simply adding some tooltips it could be documented better, that generating a new address doesn't throw away your old one, etc.

Perhaps replacing the address bar with a [New receiving address] button would be sufficient. Of course, a tab listing all addresses (used and 'hidden') would also help demystify the addresses hidden in the keypool.
There is such a tab in "Address Book",  "Receiving addresses". It shows all your addresses.

wumpus
qt

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 05:31:48 PM

By the way, what's the thought about fonts for bitcoin addresses? Monospaced or variable-width? I'm not entirely sure

If you have a list of addresses, like in the address book, they look kind of ugly as they are not lined up.

Variable-width:

Versus monospace:

jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2011, 09:17:27 PM

I like monospaced. After all, you don't need to read the addresses so legibility is not very important.

I also like the idea to have a filter instead of the current tabs and leave the tabs for other things. A tab for the address book and the the button to "see transactions to/from this address" are cool.
The filter of "received with" won't be very useful unless it filters the description instead of the address. Otherwise people would tend to repeat the address to receive from the same source.
Maybe tags are needed to filter incoming transactions?

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
wumpus
qt

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 08:49:29 AM

I like monospaced. After all, you don't need to read the addresses so legibility is not very important.
Agreed.

Although it brings the question, if you don't need to read them, why display them at all. Hmm... in the transaction overview itself, labels are already preferred by default, only if the label for an address is empty it shows the address.

Maybe it would be useful to auto-assign labels to addresses?

Even "myaddress1" "myaddress2" "otheraddress1" "otheraddress2" are easier to read than "mpRURXzSnA1....", and it would encourage people to give them meaningful names.

I also like the idea to have a filter instead of the current tabs and leave the tabs for other things.
Interesting idea. The current tabs are filters, but kind of limited.

A tab for the address book and the the button to "see transactions to/from this address" are cool.
So the idea would be to include the address book as tab in the main GUI, instead of as a separate dialog?

I've thought about this too. One of the most common usecases of the GUI will be "send money to someone you already know", so having the address book available immediately is arguably useful.

The filter of "received with" won't be very useful unless it filters the description instead of the address. Otherwise people would tend to repeat the address to receive from the same source.
It's a pity that bitcoin doesn't have "received from". It's possible to retrieve the inputs for a transaction, but there will usually be multiple, so one would have to have labelled all the input addresses to show it meaningfully in the GUI.

Tags, like gmail tags? Yeah I could see uses for tagging transactions, for example, if you want to categorise your payments.

jtimon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 09:13:12 AM

Agreed.

Although it brings the question, if you don't need to read them, why display them at all. Hmm... in the transaction overview itself, labels are already preferred by default, only if the label for an address is empty it shows the address.

Maybe it would be useful to auto-assign labels to addresses?

Even "myaddress1" "myaddress2" "otheraddress1" "otheraddress2" are easier to read than "mpRURXzSnA1....", and it would encourage people to give them meaningful names.

Maybe "receiving address1" "receiving address2" "send address1" "send address2"...is more clear. Seems a good idea though. You should always be able to copy to clipboard any address.

In the client I currently have (don't know if this has been already changed) when you label an address it still shows the address. I would prefer to see only the label.

It's a pity that bitcoin doesn't have "received from". It's possible to retrieve the inputs for a transaction, but there will usually be multiple, so one would have to have labelled all the input addresses to show it meaningfully in the GUI.

Tags, like gmail tags? Yeah I could see uses for tagging transactions, for example, if you want to categorise your payments.

In both cases (received with/received from) you would need to label/tag them. I don't use gmail tags. What I mean is that the "received with" filter won't be as useful as the "sent to" unless you can group by tags/labels. Maybe it is needed too for the "sent to" filter, since some service give you a different address each time you pay them.

This is exciting. Being free software, the bitcoin interface will end up being more usable than any bank's web service.
It will make bitcoins more valuable.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
Matt Corallo
expert

Activity: 755
Merit: 515

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 10:33:15 AM

All this tagging and such is really cool, but I'd much rather see this get finished properly with no new features than add a bunch of stuff that needs backed work as well.  My suggestion: get the whole system set up to work with a UI chosen at compile time and do the whole filtering stuff and whatnot after that.  Keep backend changes in a separate commit.

Bitcoin Core, rust-lightning, http://bitcoinfibre.org etc.
PGP ID: 07DF 3E57 A548 CCFB 7530  7091 89BB B866 3E2E65CE
jtimon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 12:06:18 PM

All this tagging and such is really cool, but I'd much rather see this get finished properly with no new features than add a bunch of stuff that needs backed work as well.  My suggestion: get the whole system set up to work with a UI chosen at compile time and do the whole filtering stuff and whatnot after that.  Keep backend changes in a separate commit.

Maybe the tagging stuff is harder. But Changing the current tabs for a combo (select) and moving the address book and settings to a tab shouldn't be too hard.
Of course, I'm not saying a qt equivalent (as the interface is now) shouldn't be commited first.

wumpus
qt

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 12:16:11 PM
Last edit: June 02, 2011, 01:07:06 PM by John Smith

All this tagging and such is really cool, but I'd much rather see this get finished properly with no new features than add a bunch of stuff that needs backed work as well.
Agreed. Tagging would need backend changes, filtering does not.

But yes as I stated before the first priority is to get it working the way it is now. I'm not an UI designer anyway. After that, Qt frontend coders/designers (much more numerous than Wx people) can give their shot at improving the interface.

Edit: still, I think it's very important that future ideas for the GUI are discussed here The GUI is people's first impression of the project, and having a more useful and user-friendly interface will help adoption.

Matt Corallo
expert

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 09:37:44 PM

Can you revert all the dir changes and rebase onto autotools.  As this will no doubt make it after autotools, it would be nice to have the support there as autotools is designed to handle multiple UIs already.

benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 09:47:52 PM

I need to be able to see the address in order to verify that I've given someone the correct one.  Please don't make them hard to find.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
wumpus
qt

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 12:35:14 PM
Last edit: June 03, 2011, 01:17:10 PM by John Smith

Can you revert all the dir changes and rebase onto autotools.  As this will no doubt make it after autotools, it would be nice to have the support there as autotools is designed to handle multiple UIs already.
Yes, I'm only using qmake at the moment because it is easy to get a project running. When I feel it's mature enough I'll do the build system work. I've developed this in a separate directory structure so I can maintain it individually until it gets merged, but will conform it to whatever the bitcoin directory structure is at that time.

I need to be able to see the address in order to verify that I've given someone the correct one.  Please don't make them hard to find.
Of course not. They shouldn't be hard to find if you need them.

It's just that a mass of 37 character long random-looking text sequences overwhelms people, and they're very hard to compare by eye (unlike user-specified labels/tags).

wumpus
qt

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 04:21:12 PM
Last edit: June 05, 2011, 04:37:21 PM by John Smith

I'd welcome some testing. Nearly all the functionality of bitcoin-wx is now implemented. Although it seems to work fine, there might still be a few glitches so I recommend testing on a testnet (or testnet-in-a-box).

Can you revert all the dir changes and rebase onto autotools.
Btw what directory layout do you recommend for the different GUIs?

Also, the Qt GUI needs its own base directory in the source tree for resources such as images, icons and forms. It cannot use the bmp/xpm images from the Wx one.

• bitcoin/src/qt for the source files?
  • bitcoin/src/qt/res for resources? or somewhere outside the src tree?

Matt Corallo
expert

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 04:38:11 PM

Rebase onto https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/180, add the relevant autotools options (if you can), then I'd guess it would be best to just do as you said and put res in src/qt/res or similar.

wumpus
qt

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 01:10:06 PM

The QT GUI is feature-complete now. Even the transaction details dialog on double-click works.

I could still use some help testing: https://github.com/laanwj/bitcoin-qt

wumpus
qt

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:00:10 PM

qt-bitcoin now gives status bar notifications when a (net positive) transaction comes in:

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: