Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:24:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Want to try mining  (Read 1523 times)
btchaver (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 02:09:52 AM

Please tell me if i am just wasting my time even trying this.

I plan on running windows xp
cgminer    never used or set up a miner it will be my first time.

i am going to order an asics from butterfly labs whenever hopefully i get it soon.

Plan on buying a gpu card to start and learn how to set up miner software and hardware etc..

Is this something that can be achived without any experience and learn from the advice just from this forum. 

Is cgminer difficult to install is there anything else that i can run such as gui miner with asics since its easier
or should i just not attempt it and avoid mining altogether is it to late in the game to even start with asics being on market.

What are your thoughts.  All and every reply is appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 03:06:57 AM

i am going to order an asics from butterfly labs whenever hopefully i get it soon.

Plan on buying a gpu card to start and learn how to set up miner software and hardware etc..

Is this something that can be achived without any experience and learn from the advice just from this forum. 

Is cgminer difficult to install is there anything else that i can run such as gui miner with asics since its easier
or should i just not attempt it and avoid mining altogether is it to late in the game to even start with asics being on market.

CGMiner is very easy to install.  Just unzip it into its own directory and run it.

As far as being to late?  Well that depends on what your goal is.  If you want to get rich quick then you may be too late.  If you want to mine for the long term return then jump on in and go for it.  It's up to you.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
btchaver (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 04:05:39 AM

Yeah i am getting a message saying open cl was not found and then the choice to close the program or search online for a solution.  SO i guess my video card is not supported or something.  Is there a way around this can i run cg miner or am i stuck with this not working.  I had this message before.  What to do now.
i3lome

Activity: 210

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 04:14:58 AM

Yeah i am getting a message saying open cl was not found and then the choice to close the program or search online for a solution.  SO i guess my video card is not supported or something.  Is there a way around this can i run cg miner or am i stuck with this not working.  I had this message before.  What to do now.

Try updating you video card drivers, if you have onboard video on you motherboard mostlikely you dont have a gpu. You still have options, you can Cpu Mine, Ftc/Ltc/Cnc/yac. I would suggest Scrypt Miner and joining a Litcoin Pool.

As for the Butterfly labs stuff, there is a super long waiting list and you may get your device in a year or two, Id just spend the money on a decent graphics cards or 2.  You can google Litecoin Mining Hardware Comparison to see which video card will be best to buy and it shows what they are capable off
btchaver (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 04:31:42 AM

Yeah i am getting a message saying open cl was not found and then the choice to close the program or search online for a solution.  SO i guess my video card is not supported or something.  Is there a way around this can i run cg miner or am i stuck with this not working.  I had this message before.  What to do now.

Try updating you video card drivers, if you have onboard video on you motherboard mostlikely you dont have a gpu. You still have options, you can Cpu Mine, Ftc/Ltc/Cnc/yac. I would suggest Scrypt Miner and joining a Litcoin Pool.

As for the Butterfly labs stuff, there is a super long waiting list and you may get your device in a year or two, Id just spend the money on a decent graphics cards or 2.  You can google Litecoin Mining Hardware Comparison to see which video card will be best to buy and it shows what they are capable off

no i have an ASUS EAH5750 windows vista running the asus runs open gl not open cl so this i think is the problem.  my video card is not open cl it says its open gl in the catalyst settings.  Does anyone know if this video card can mine coins or not capable or is there a way to download a driver for this my drivers i think are up to date and vista is also been updated i think.  anything?

I just want to try and install cgminer at least before i go out and buy video cards and not even know how to install this thing.  Is it hard or am i in trouble with trying to install this for example if i buy one of these cards will i be able to install and run cgminer.
i3lome

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 04:34:23 AM

Yes that card should work, you may need AMD Parralell Processing SDK. Google or you can find it here
http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/heterogeneous-computing/amd-accelerated-parallel-processing-app-sdk/
i3lome

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 04:37:32 AM

Cgminer is very simple to use. I would suggest the program GUIMiner -scrypt version. Its the Graphic Interface for Cgminer and reaper very simple to use
btchaver (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 04:59:20 AM

Yes that card should work, you may need AMD Parralell Processing SDK. Google or you can find it here
http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/heterogeneous-computing/amd-accelerated-parallel-processing-app-sdk/

No this doesnt work either
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 05:01:15 AM

Only old versions of the AMD APP SDK and old GPUs with old drivers will work on win XP. It is a deprecated 12 year old operating system, please use win7 if you must go windows.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
i3lome

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 05:09:25 AM

What happens, are you just running cgminer and it closes real fast. People are using that card so i dont see what the problem is. Get Guiminer -scrypt from this thread. Download and run

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=150331.0

Use the setting that are posted on the image of that thread. Just use your user name and account info from your mining pool
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 05:20:48 AM

What happens, are you just running cgminer and it closes real fast. People are using that card so i dont see what the problem is. Get Guiminer -scrypt from this thread. Download and run

Use the setting that are posted on the image of that thread. Just use your user name and account info from your mining pool
Nice that you're trying to help, but alas your advice is misguided.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
i3lome

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 05:47:34 AM

Nice that you're trying to help, but alas your advice is misguided.

Im just trying to troubleshoot him and the problem. If he says he does not know how to to install cgminer  "It Dont Work"  can mean many things. Sorry for trying to help, will keep advice to myself
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 11:32:35 AM

no i have an ASUS EAH5750 windows vista running the asus runs open gl not open cl so this i think is the problem.  my video card is not open cl it says its open gl in the catalyst settings.  Does anyone know if this video card can mine coins or not capable or is there a way to download a driver for this my drivers i think are up to date and vista is also been updated i think.  anything?

I just want to try and install cgminer at least before i go out and buy video cards and not even know how to install this thing.  Is it hard or am i in trouble with trying to install this for example if i buy one of these cards will i be able to install and run cgminer.

That card should be able to mine.  Haven't heard of many people using Vista though.

But at any rate that is a 5xxx series GPU so you want to use OpenCL SDK of 2.1 through 2.5, you don't want to go any higher than that. You will probably need to experiment with what version of Catalyst driver work best.  If you are using a newer Catalyst which has an OpenCL SDK/Runtime higher than 2.5 make sure you do a custom install and deselect the OpenCL and then manually install an older one.

The card you have should be similar to my 5770 in performance and it is in the Hardware Comparison Chart linked below.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

Also read the CGMiner FAQ section in the readme as it has suggestions as to what Catalyst and OpenCL SDK would be best.
Sam

btchaver (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 01:06:57 PM

That card should be able to mine.  Haven't heard of many people using Vista though.

But at any rate that is a 5xxx series GPU so you want to use OpenCL SDK of 2.1 through 2.5, you don't want to go any higher than that. You will probably need to experiment with what version of Catalyst driver work best.  If you are using a newer Catalyst which has an OpenCL SDK/Runtime higher than 2.5 make sure you do a custom install and deselect the OpenCL and then manually install an older one.

The card you have should be similar to my 5770 in performance and it is in the Hardware Comparison Chart linked below.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

Also read the CGMiner FAQ section in the readme as it has suggestions as to what Catalyst and OpenCL SDK would be best.
Sam

Thanks Sam!
btchaver (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 01:33:26 PM

ok i got cgminer to work but now it says nned to supply one server.   How do i do this.
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 02:53:57 PM

ok i got cgminer to work but now it says nned to supply one server.   How do i do this.

The Executive Summary in the Readme and the CGMiner thread Top Post have examples on how to do this.

First you have to join at least one pool.  Did you do that yet?
Sam

btchaver (OP)

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 11:47:16 PM

Bitminter worked easy to mine with it. 
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 12:59:22 AM

Bitminter worked easy to mine with it. 

Once you get your first pool working and mining then I would join at least two more and setup failover so that if your primary pool fails it will rollover to the next and keep mining.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: