Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 10:34:46 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Yacoin - The Eco-killer  (Read 2932 times)
kooke

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Bitcoin super-duper-mega-ultra-hyper-node

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 03:16:40 AM

Do you guys have any idea, how much electricity it takes, to run enough servers at %100 load, to make it worth while to mine these coins? Just saying, not very green...Not to mention, there's gonna be a lot of unhappy parents, when they get the power bill this month lol

The more aggressive the smear campaign, the more more confident I become in the coin.

The YAC supporters are probably the ones behind the smear campaign, trying to draw more attention to YAC Wink

Vycid

Activity: 336

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 03:18:33 AM

Do you guys have any idea, how much electricity it takes, to run enough servers at %100 load, to make it worth while to mine these coins? Just saying, not very green...Not to mention, there's gonna be a lot of unhappy parents, when they get the power bill this month lol

The more aggressive the smear campaign, the more more confident I become in the coin.

I guess you've missed it's current trading value on Bter then....

Nope. I noticed it's all the way up to 0.89 BTC per k from around 0.56 near the market open.

Yurizhai

Activity: 764
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 03:19:22 AM

I guess you've missed it's current trading value on Bter then....

Nope. I noticed it's all the way up to 0.89 BTC per k from around 0.56 near the market open.

He said volume.
bitcoiners

Activity: 322

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 03:22:58 AM

do you have any idea, how much money can people can and their kids dont have to starve or rob a old lady?
what?

He/They are clearly threatening society.  He's saying if it wasn't for suckers buying yac, he'd be mugging/raping a old ladies.
computerparts

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 03:24:30 AM

Do you have any idea how bitcoin started out?  Roll Eyes
Hydroponica (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

fml

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 03:27:09 AM

Yes, in a savage, dark age, of Pentium 4's, and 32 MB GPU's....Do you want us to go back to those times? Shall we live in caves, and club our women too??

kooke

Activity: 448

Bitcoin super-duper-mega-ultra-hyper-node

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 03:27:56 AM

do you have any idea, how much money can people can and their kids dont have to starve or rob a old lady?
what?

He/They are clearly threatening society.  He's saying if it wasn't for suckers buying yac, he'd be mugging/raping a old ladies.

+1 too funny

YAC, the coin of your local street thug that mugs old ladies Cheesy

desert_beagle

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 03:29:01 AM

The only reason why people mine this coin is because it is CPU only and everyone and their dogs have CPUs.

To deliberately handicap the GPU base is a terrible idea IMO.  You're only making the network susceptible to 51% attack from botnets.

Isn't it what all cryptos are striving for is to have more security by increased hashrate?

I guess this coin is appealing to high school kids with plans to capitalize on school computer labs?
jj9guy

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 03:32:43 AM

A) GPUs are more energy efficient than CPUs.
B) YAC is extremely vulnerable to an 51% attack by someone who writes a gpu kernel and has a decent rig
bitdwarf

Activity: 406

The cryptocoin watcher

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 03:33:49 AM

B) YAC is extremely vulnerable to an 51% attack by someone who writes a gpu kernel and has a decent rig

YAC generates coins by PoW and PoS. That someone would need to own 51% of all the Stake. Kinda self defeating.

𝖄𝖆𝖈: YF3feU4PNLHrjwa1zV63BcCdWVk5z6DAh5 · 𝕭𝖙𝖈: 12F78M4oaNmyGE5C25ZixarG2Nk6UBEqme
Ɏ: "the altcoin for the everyman, where the sweat on one's brow can be used to cool one's overheating CPU" -- theprofileth
Hydroponica (OP)

fml

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 03:34:38 AM

A) GPUs are more energy than CPUs.

Actually, for the ammount of hashing power in a single 7970, you would need multiple CPU's to match it, ergo, you need more power to run the equivilent number of cpu's, then a single GPU

Hydroponica (OP)

fml

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 03:35:44 AM

Actually, for the ammount of hashing power in a single 7970, you would need multiple CPU's to match it, ergo, you need more power to run the equivilent number of cpu's, then a single GPU

And, last I checked, you can't shove 4 CPU's into a single tower, so, we are talking an entire PC for each CPU...

jj9guy

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 03:38:50 AM

I meant energy efficient

There is a reason research centers like switching to GPUs. It is a cheaper power bill per petaflop
Hydroponica (OP)

fml

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 03:41:03 AM

I meant energy efficient

There is a reason research centers like switching to GPUs. It is cheaper per petaflop
Oh ok, lol. I just assumed that was broken english lol

Hydroponica (OP)

fml

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 03:46:21 AM

The forums are getting really quiet, as Yac value drops...lol

Balthazar
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1359

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 04:42:02 AM
Last edit: May 12, 2013, 05:01:24 AM by Balthazar

YAC generates coins by PoW and PoS. That someone would need to own 51% of all the Stake. Kinda self defeating.
1) PoS is not active yet;
2) Actually, attacker needs only 25% of current active stake weight.

But it's correct that it's almost impossible to overtake PoW+PoS chain using pure PoW chain.
computerparts

Activity: 378

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 06:32:21 PM

Yes, in a savage, dark age, of Pentium 4's, and 32 MB GPU's....Do you want us to go back to those times? Shall we live in caves, and club our women too??

So in other words, you have no clue. Pentium 4's and 32mb gpu's, really? LOL!
Hydroponica (OP)

fml

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 06:34:57 PM

So in other words, you have no clue. Pentium 4's and 32mb gpu's, really? LOL!

It was an over exageration Roll Eyes

Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 06:44:22 PM

do you have any idea, how much money can people make and their kids dont have to starve or rob a old lady?

heh heh heh

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
WindMaster

Activity: 347

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 06:49:19 PM

And, last I checked, you can't shove 4 CPU's into a single tower, so, we are talking an entire PC for each CPU...

That's not entirely true.  It would be true if you said you can't shove 4x consumer-level i7's onto a single consumer-level motherboard.  Finding a motherboard that'll fit a normal ATX case and holds 4 Xeon CPU's is not particularly difficult.

When it comes to wanting a lot of CPU power, it's hard to beat the IBM BladeCenter platform.  There are already photos of part of my BladeCenter server farm in some of the Yacoin threads.  You can cram 28 Xeon CPU's (2 per blade server) into each 7U of rack space, and currently you can do it at a cost of around 50% what you'd pay to set up headless i7-2600k PC's for an equivalent amount of CPU power.  On one hand you have consumer-grade gear with PSU's that'll fail if you look at them funny, and on the other hand you have carrier-class equipment that'll run for years and years hands-off without a single hardware problem, yet still cost less than the consumer crap.

A single 42U rack (standard 7' tall 19" rack) can happily support 84 IBM blade servers with 168 Xeon CPU's, taking up a whole whopping 6 square feet of floor space in the process.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: