Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 02:46:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What will you do with your 'Bitcoin Cash'?  (Read 2072 times)
gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 05:30:35 PM

https://twitter.com/ViaBTC/status/886798784348532737

So Bitmain and friends will be forking a new chain on August 1st whatever happens by the looks of things, as well as Segwitting on the main one.

I assume we'll all get some of this to play with so what will you be doing with it? Would you dump instantly or hold fire and see what happens?

Some rather deep pockets will be desperately keen to make a success of it so I may hang on to it for a bit for a lark.

The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 06:26:25 PM

So Bitmain and friends will be forking a new chain on August 1st whatever happens by the looks of things, as well as Segwitting on the main one.

I assume we'll all get some of this to play with so what will you be doing with it? Would you dump instantly or hold fire and see what happens?

Some rather deep pockets will be desperately keen to make a success of it so I may hang on to it for a bit for a lark.

Just think about it. Who wants to be part of ChinaCoin, with inferior software, when you can just stay on the legacy chain, be teamed up with all the whales which I suspect aren't going too be too happy about Bitmain's hardfork, and also get to have segwit without no hardfork? Seems pretty obvious to me. All these hardforks are dead on arrival. Im probably going to dump them for more free real Bitcoin.
BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 07:30:50 PM

I will just be waiting how the value of this shitcoin will be doing in the coming months. If I ever come to a point where I am going to sell these shitcoins, I will virtually spit on them, where I after that start unloading them.

With the money I make from it, I will directly invest it in Bitcoin, regardless of the price at that moment ~ that's how you deal with rubbish. I am quite sure that most of the people will do the same.

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
zulkarnaen

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2017, 07:40:17 PM

Perhaps my baggage will hold it as a future investment, and if the price rises again and has already gained profit which, of course, matches expectations will sell it back to profit.
rjclarke2000
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1016

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 07:41:50 PM

How would this affect a hodler of paper wallets gentlemand?

Asking for a friend
gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 07:48:47 PM

How would this affect a hodler of paper wallets gentlemand?

Asking for a friend

Not in the slightest. You'd have your old school coins and you'd have access to the Bitmaincoins as well with the same paper wallet. You would of course have to expose your private key to spend them though so you'd have to move your 'real' ones as well to be sure.
goinmerry
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1083

View Profile
July 17, 2017, 08:02:01 PM

Will just watch the show and see what will happened.

Since I already loss some because of too much holding, I will go straight forward and see how far will my optimitism reached. This is an overall push that will decide the fate of my coins. Price crash is expected but we have a thing called recovery and soon the price will bounce up again as usual with the past major big events that pulls down the bitcoin price. It may take time but better than it will stay on crash site.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 08:58:02 AM

I am not in a rush to do anything. I will calmly sit out this entire storm, and if after a while it is financially a worthwhile practice to sell them, I will. If not, then I won't do anything. But honestly, at this point it's easy talking for people. Firstly, we don't know if a chain split will become reality, and secondly, if things happen for real, most people will react in a whole different way. Just look at how many people are loudly sharing that they will be holding their coins for the long term, at the time the price goes up. If the price starts tanking real hard, the same people that were planning to hold, have been selling their coins with severe losses. At this point there is so much speculative nonsense going through the community, that people simply don't know what to look at anymore.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 12:35:21 PM

I still believe  this is a big bluff. I will believe it when it happens. And if it indeed should happen I will be probably very happy as we will finally got rid off of these clowns!
In terms of the Chinacoin I don't know.Maybe I will sell a part and hold the rest to dump it later if the chain should still have any serious monetary value, what I highly doubt to be honest.
malata

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 12:39:44 PM

Everyone in this thread is spreading FUD, BIP91 is compatible with UASF so there won't be any chain split. Besides segwitx2 has over 90% support now.
gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 12:41:24 PM

I still believe  this is a big bluff. I will believe it when it happens. And if it indeed should happen I will be probably very happy as we will finally got rid off of these clowns!
In terms of the Chinacoin I don't know.Maybe I will sell a part and hold the rest to dump it later if the chain should still have any serious monetary value, what I highly doubt to be honest.

The thing is as it's been given a new name and is a self declared separate coin there's not much to bluff really. It's off to do its own thing though I've no idea what the endgame is.  

Everyone in this thread is spreading FUD, BIP91 is compatible with UASF so there won't be any chain split. Besides segwitx2 has over 90% support now.

It's not a chain split. It's a fork into a new coin. They're making no attempt to claim it's Bitcoin.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 02:03:34 PM

for me all other chain that is not the new main one or the old main one, will be seen as an altcoin, and i'll threat that in the same way, if there will be enugh volume i'll hold for a better value

but in the end i'll transform it to "real bitcoin", for sure the bitmain coin can't be the new mainchain, it's clearly a take off because they got mad about the new forced segwit activation, bring me a bender mem for this please...
cellard
Legendary

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 04:22:12 PM

for me all other chain that is not the new main one or the old main one, will be seen as an altcoin, and i'll threat that in the same way, if there will be enugh volume i'll hold for a better value

but in the end i'll transform it to "real bitcoin", for sure the bitmain coin can't be the new mainchain, it's clearly a take off because they got mad about the new forced segwit activation, bring me a bender mem for this please...

There's only one real bitcoin, and that is the one backed by the best devs, so that means bitcoin core + original chain. Every other bitcoin is an altcoin by definition, and these altcoins will get dumped into 0.

If you make the mistake of selling your original chain coins for the hard fork scams you will lose your money.
gentlemand (OP)
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 05:17:37 PM

There's only one real bitcoin, and that is the one backed by the best devs, so that means bitcoin core + original chain. Every other bitcoin is an altcoin by definition, and these altcoins will get dumped into 0.

What are they going to do with the 2X chain then? Core doesn't have any mining power and it's being activated in a way beyond their control. The 2X chain is going to become Bitcoin for now whether they like it or not. Are they going to suck it up and try to improve 2X or toss their cookies?
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 06:24:04 PM

I will do the right thing, and that's converting them to Bitcoin directly if there will be a BTC/X trading pair, or I'll sell them for fiat and buy Bitcoin with these freshly obtained funds. One thing is sure, I'll sell them right away as I have no interest in holding any altcoins for a longer time. Especially because I do expect some sort of a pump to happen at the time these altcoins start being tradable. Less on exchange coins at initial stage allows entities to quite easily boost the price to their desired levels. In the end, if miners desire to fork out, then let them exit. It means that we have less toxic elements to deal with in the future.
maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 18, 2017, 08:29:43 PM

They are still gonna signal BIP91, so that is a good thing but I have no idea why they decided to start with their shenanigans now.
Their forked coins will be immediately boycotted by everyone else and I don't care about it at all.
In the worst case scenario, it will be similar to the situation after ETH forked, the prime chain of EHT is now 25x more expensive than before forking.
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 6142

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 04:39:07 AM

If I, at the time of the fork, am one of the first happy Bitcoin users that gets the "Bitcoin Cash" transferred to an exchange and there is someone that wants to buy them for a decent price (more than 20% of the Bitcoin price), then I'll try to dump. But I will try to re-buy some well in the cellar (under 5% or the Bitcoin price), maybe it's an opportunity.

I wonder if Bitcoin Cash counts as "BTU fork" for Bitfinex, so BCU holders get "Bitcoin Cash" tokens? As it is "Emergent Consensus", it should be the case ... If yes, then the price of the BCU Bitfinex token could be an indication of the price we could expect after the fork.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
cellard
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 04:10:03 PM

What are they going to do with the 2X chain then? Core doesn't have any mining power and it's being activated in a way beyond their control. The 2X chain is going to become Bitcoin for now whether they like it or not. Are they going to suck it up and try to improve 2X or toss their cookies?

No such thing as "x2 chain". This is just activation of segwit. We are yet to see who is really going to be stupid enough to push for an actual hardfork. We will see later this year, for now we are safe, but we will see another crash later this year when the big blockers are back to ruin the good uptrend as always.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2017, 05:04:36 PM
Last edit: July 19, 2017, 05:28:01 PM by deisik

It's not a chain split. It's a fork into a new coin. They're making no attempt to claim it's Bitcoin

And this seems to be the most dangerous part

At first I thought it was kind of joke, but then I read the twitter post by your link and the whole announcement, and it doesn't look they are kidding. So as I got it, they are going to fork off finally. ViaBTC seems to be closely affiliated with Bitmain and Jihan, and in layman terms this basically means the war is coming. I hope that I'm missing something or misinterpreted something else, but if they are really going to fork Bitcoin (making a new coin off it), they will be dumping their old bitcoins and likely trying to attack the genuine blockchain since this is the only way their chain is going to survive. Why do I not see and hear the alarms raised?

They are still gonna signal BIP91, so that is a good thing but I have no idea why they decided to start with their shenanigans now

Something is fishy here, very fishy, to say the least

It's not a chain split. It's a fork into a new coin. They're making no attempt to claim it's Bitcoin.

If they are forking off the Bitcoin blockchain, that bodes bad for Bitcoin. The name is irrelevant (and they call it "Bitcoin Cash")

cellard
Legendary

View Profile
July 19, 2017, 05:28:56 PM

It's not a chain split. It's a fork into a new coin. They're making no attempt to claim it's Bitcoin

And this seems to be the most dangerous part

At first I thought it was kind of joke, but then I read the twitter post by your link and the whole announcement, and it doesn't look they are kidding. So as I got it, they are going to fork off finally. ViaBTC seems to be closely affiliated with Bitmain and Jihan, and in layman terms this basically means war. I hope that I'm missing something or misinterpreted something else, but if they are really going to fork Bitcoin (making a new coin off it), they will be dumping their old bitcoins and likely trying to attack the genuine blockchain since this is the only way the chain is going to survive. Why do I not see and hear the alarms raised?

They are still gonna signal BIP91, so that is a good thing but I have no idea why they decided to start with their shenanigans now

Something is fishy here, very fishy, to say the least

If they are forking off the Bitcoin blockchain, that bodes bad for Bitcoin. The name is irrelevant (and they call it "Bitcoin Cash")

I don't care what they do with their hashrate and the client they run as long as if there is a hardfork we keep the BTC token tag.

So this leads to my question: Who gets to keep the original "BTC" token tag? exchanges should list the original chain as BTC, I hope they don't pull an "ETC" and pretend that the altcoin isn't the forked chain.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: