Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:15:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "I'm Kevin, and I'm full of shit" [a must read!]  (Read 9413 times)
hazek (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:24:35 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2011, 12:37:51 AM by hazek

This guy is so full of shit you have to reread it to believe it. In the below quotes of his OP  you can basically see how he first explains the facts of the matter and then goes on to make some wild outrages fantasy driven claims and accusations. Way to contradict yourself in the very same post buddy! Roll Eyes

The thought also occurred to me that there were only about 100 bitcoins worth of buy orders back on the market in the minutes immediately following all of this. I could place a reasonably sized sell order for $0.001, crash the market again, and withdraw probably all of the bitcoins, since they'd be valued at $0.001 each and would fit under the $1000 USD limit. I also decided against this, when I realized that whoever placed the gigantic sell order was probably doing so for the exact same reasons and I knew how that would make me look.

On top of how misleading I felt they were being about what I knew occurred, I felt it was far worse that they were using this argument for why they wanted to undo the trades. From reading their public statements, they're making it sound like they're reverting the trades because they want to prevent a hacker from profiting from it. This is simply not true, the vast majority, if not all of the buy orders that picked up coins at a low price were regular users like myself. Any profit this hacker was going to make, he's already done so. The majority of the buy orders that got executed were standing orders from legit users that had been in the system for quite some time, and those are the orders he's threatening to revert.

WTF? First you say you figured out that the hacker was probably buying low and trying to profit from it, and then you try to argument that the only trades that could have happened were from legitimate users??  Roll Eyes

Recently I've been getting into the bitcoin trading market. Over the last couple of weeks, I was hitting the $1000 USD Dwolla cash withdrawal limit from Mt Gox, so I requested that it be increased. I sent Mt Gox a copy of my driver's license and two utility bills in my name/address to prove my identity, which Mark accepted and increased my limit. Could that have been faked? Sure. But, if I was the hacker I was going about this whole thing stupidly. I had several ways I could have drained the Mt Gox account, and deliberately didn't. I immediately contacted Mark to identify myself as the buyer and offer assistance. If I were up to something shady, I was doing a really bad job at it.

I attempted to withdraw the bitcoin balance into my own wallet, and hit the limit that Mt Gox has, preventing you from withdrawing more than $1000 USD worth of bitcoins (at the current market value) in a day. This transferred 643.27 bitcoins to my personal bitcoin account before hitting that limit. It was pretty well known that the limit for transferring bitcoins was actually broken in Mt Gox. It stopped you from moving more than that in one withdrawal, but you could immediately ask for more and get another $1000 USD worth, over and over. I decided against this, since it was exploiting a bug, and I definitely didn't want to do anything suspicious looking or improper.

The second thing wrong with Mt Gox's statement is that it makes it sound like only the hacker managed to withdraw any money, and even then only $1000 worth. I alone withdrew 643 bitcoins (worth more than $10,000 USD easily). The withdrawal limit feature was so broken, it was hard to imagine the hacker didn't know how to exploit it.

So wait, you requested your account limit to get raised so you were able to withdraw more than $1000 worth, you got your limit raised but that also meant that the withdrawal limit was somehow broken and the hacker withdrew god knows how much? Interesting logic.

Sir, you are full of shit. You are whining about not being able to keep stolen money and you are making it sound as if anyone is forcing you or anyone else to stay at mtgox after it reopens. I suggest you stfu, be glad you didn't get your money stollen, the $3000 you had in there and withdraw and never trade on mtgox again because that's about the only recourse you have in your situation.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:25:43 AM

This ^^

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
bittrader

Activity: 42
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:27:56 AM

I don't understand his story either. At one point he says he submitted his ID, etc. to Mt. Gox to have his $1,000 limit raised. Elsewhere he says he couldn't withdraw more than ~600 BTC because of the withdrawal limit! Seems like one contradicts the other. Or am I missing something.
bitbitcoincoin

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:29:46 AM

he stole those coins fair and square  Grin

honestly though anyone with a brain should be able to figure out that transactions made during the flash crash are not legit.  The only things that should be up for debate is involvement of both parties(kevin and mt gox) in the hack itself, which is a very important issue.
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:45:00 AM

I know one thing is for sure.

The hacker in question is reading this messageboard and has a smile from ear to ear. I bet one of the people posting is him incognito.

Be humble!
indio007

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:46:33 AM

Kevin has thought an awful lot about what the hacker might do and what his motives are and techniques he would use to cheat the system. On top of that he considered them all as a tool himself?!?!?! If that's not a red flag I don't know what is.

Secondly he admits knowing about a security flaw but he doesn't tell Mtgox staff but he tries to lead us to believe they have such a close and cosy relationship there is no way he would do this.

I call BS.

Somone cheated, Kevin, so do the right thing and man up. Honor before glory.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:46:41 AM

I don't understand his story either. At one point he says he submitted his ID, etc. to Mt. Gox to have his $1,000 limit raised. Elsewhere he says he couldn't withdraw more than ~600 BTC because of the withdrawal limit! Seems like one contradicts the other. Or am I missing something.

600 BTC is more than $1000. He never said "his" limit was $1000

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
adrian33

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:50:33 AM

By his story, Kevin didn't knowingly steal anything.

However, if he doesn't returns the stolen bitcoins in his possession, then that would be akin to stealing.

hazek (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:52:18 AM

600 BTC is more than $1000. He never said "his" limit was $1000

ORLY?

I attempted to withdraw the bitcoin balance into my own wallet, and hit the limit that Mt Gox has, preventing you from withdrawing more than $1000 USD worth of bitcoins (at the current market value) in a day. This transferred 643.27 bitcoins to my personal bitcoin account before hitting that limit.

Can you read sir?  Roll Eyes

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 12:53:20 AM

I know one thing is for sure.

The hacker in question is reading this messageboard and has a smile from ear to ear. I bet one of the people posting is him incognito.

LOL thats epic funny and probably true.

I bet he speaks broken English and doesn't care for this kind of socializing.
adrian33

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:00:00 AM

Kevin's are always misunderstood. He's having a real Kevin moment.

Batouzo

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:08:05 AM

anyone with a brain should be able to figure out that transactions made during the flash crash are not legit.  

Bullshit. What about people that just arrived to bitcoin.  What about people that bought @1.00 ? what @2? @5? @12 ?
JTaBitCoinKing

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:08:19 AM

Government Troll!

Nothing is wrong everything is perfect, go back to sleep!!!  Huh
onesalt

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:09:21 AM

HEY GUYS THIS BAG OF MONEY FELL OFF THE BACK OF A BANK LORRY I PAID SOME SHADY GUY AT THE PUB 3000 DOLLARS FOR IT AND WHEN THE BANK TURNED UP THE NEXT DAY THEY DEMANDED IT BACK WHAT THE FUCK???
DukeOfEarl

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:14:08 AM

10364   toasty   toasty@dragondata.com   $1$rtQupk2h$FR.Ee1vC2s70WFatliWHz1                     

Google this guy.  He has a unique skillset to match.
Batouzo

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:15:42 AM

HEY GUYS THIS BAG OF MONEY FELL OFF THE BACK OF A BANK LORRY I PAID SOME SHADY GUY AT THE PUB 3000 DOLLARS FOR IT AND WHEN THE BANK TURNED UP THE NEXT DAY THEY DEMANDED IT BACK WHAT THE FUCK???

What is wrong with you people and bad examples.

You bought some painting at low prices. It turned out someone got drunk and messed up price tags. Well ok, but this is their problems not yours imo.
Especially if we are talking of reversing already done deals.

That said, Im just saying what imo would be most just and nice free liberal market...
In mtgox place I would probable do the same if I wouldn't have liquidity to eat up all mess I caused...
adrian33

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:16:22 AM

WHEN THE BANK TURNED UP THE NEXT DAY THEY DEMANDED IT BACK WHAT THE FUCK???

I think he wants to keep some as a reward for calling the bank. If you think about it, it's the hacker that should cop most of the flack. Kevin's just punter trying to get ahead.

Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:16:29 AM

Serious?? Crikeys..the cheek!

I might start a thread about it in the hope someone somewhere really cares!

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:18:29 AM

10364   toasty   toasty@dragondata.com   $1$rtQupk2h$FR.Ee1vC2s70WFatliWHz1                     

Google this guy.  He has a unique skillset to match.

Thanks, all I find is security work and loads of mailinglist articles where he is involved in various security related content with regards to websites.

Must be another flakey coincidence that he seems to know his parts around that world more than avg joe and to get burn like this aswell, wtfever.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
bitprotection

Activity: 103

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 01:19:25 AM

Not going to lie his story really doesn't make sense.... why

I'm starting to think  Mt Gox and this guy are colluding together  who's to say they aren't?

They obviously have spoken together?

Working on protecting the community!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: