Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:35:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: All of the alt-crytpos are sliding down  (Read 3887 times)
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 04:37:46 AM

Predicted a week ago. It was obvious that altcoins were in a bubble. Litecoin isn't useless (it is a backup/testnet/hedge for Bitcoin), but there is no way that its dev team, network, track record, and ecosystem are anywhere near 10% the value of Bitcoin's (LTC market cap was 10% that of Bitcoin).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Aristotle

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:28:20 AM

I was having this debate with someone who was saying its the difference between gold and silver. One is not necessarily better then the other.  I however, take the stance that Alt coins are really just riding off the success of bitcoin and in the end of the day, really serve no useful purpose.   Can anyone name one feature that an alt coin can do that bitcoin cant?  I don't really see minor differences in how many total coins exist, or the different mining strategies that are employed as features.  Features are, send money electronically, etc ,etc.

PPCoin augments "proof of work" with "proof of stake" to secure the network which is much more efficient. So, all things being equal, transaction fees with PPCoin should be lower than Bitcoin. And I believe transaction confirmation times are half that as Bitcoin?

Freicoin has a 5%/year demurrage rate that goes to miners forever. So, this may encourage a more secure network, and lower transaction fees. The demurrage could also help increase monetary velocity.

I believe the only thing different with Litecoin is the hashing algorithm and faster confirmation times?
jhansen858

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:56:28 AM

PPCoin augments "proof of work" with "proof of stake" to secure the network which is much more efficient. So, all things being equal, transaction fees with PPCoin should be lower than Bitcoin. And I believe transaction confirmation times are half that as Bitcoin?

Freicoin has a 5%/year demurrage rate that goes to miners forever. So, this may encourage a more secure network, and lower transaction fees. The demurrage could also help increase monetary velocity.

I believe the only thing different with Litecoin is the hashing algorithm and faster confirmation times?

PPCoin - I have tried to read and understand this.  However, so far, I don't understand why this is better.  I thought they wanted mining to be hard to do. 

Freicoin - Burning money during each transaction kinda sounds like what they did in world of warcraft.  Not sure why you would want to do that

Like I said, they don't really offer anything New.  They just offer to do the same things differently. 

Hi forum: 1DDpiEt36VTJsiJunyBc3XtG6CcSAnsQ4p
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 06:31:06 AM

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
Aristotle

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:33:02 PM

PPCoin - I have tried to read and understand this.  However, so far, I don't understand why this is better.  I thought they wanted mining to be hard to do. 

Well, "better" is subjective, but with proof-of-stake, coin ownership is used to achieve consensus instead of hashing power. A 51% attack would require the attacker to have 51% of the coins, instead of 51% of hashing power in proof-of-work. I'm not sure which is harder.
UltimateReaper

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 05:58:33 PM

lmao
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 08:00:22 PM

The only alt-coin with any value distinct from bitcoin is Namecoin.  You can actually do something with it that is unique - buy .bit domains.

The others are junk, and while they may have some slight utility in buying some very limited numbers of things, that's just for the moment.  I see no future at all for any of them, once the alt-whales have sucked out the value from all of the unwary holders.

Well, PPCoin is at least theoretically interesting, given that long-term it should (again, theoretically) offer far lower energy consumption than bitcoin for the same security level, and therefore, significantly cheaper transaction fees when we get to the point where fees matter more than block rewards.

But generally, I agree. The alts are pretty much all silly, with the possible exception of PPCoin and NameCoin. Litecoin gets a boost right now as people shift GPUs to it, but I expect it to be mostly temporary. The fact the quicker confs are hyped as an important feature is laughable. There are essentially zero situations where an avg 2min conf time is acceptable but a 10min isn't. Both fail at buying brick-and-mortar coffee. Both succeed at buying coffee-beans online. No difference.

Seems there's a certain amount of money, as a somewhat fixed percentage of bitcoin market cap, that people are willing to speculate with on all the alts collectively. So when there's a new JunkCoin every day, there's a dilution effect.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 08:31:58 PM

My guess: the recent last influx of questionable alt coins, such as CNC, FTC, Mincoin, has only highlighted the actual [low] value of alt coins in comparison to BTC.

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1068

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 10:03:23 PM

My guess: the recent last influx of questionable alt coins, such as CNC, FTC, Mincoin, has only highlighted the actual [low] value of alt coins in comparison to BTC.

BTCe is responsible for this.
FCTaiChi

Activity: 308

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 05:05:05 AM

BTC has always been top dog what can you expect?

Should expect other currencies to rally eventually though.  Unfortunately there will be room for them Tongue

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 10:24:31 AM

Last 10 days !

Nice charts.  Where from?

Pretty clear to me that alt coins are short term money grabs / pump and dump ops.  Maybe Curecoin or something similar can grab some mainstream attention but again, no real advantage over Bitcoin.

That said, I do wonder where we will be 10 years from now.  Everyone is looking to improve upon Bitcoin, surely it's only a matter of time before someone creates something genuinely useful with universal appeal.  Near instant transactions would be a killer feature, of course.  I suspect whatever it is, it will look very different - it definitely won't be a breakaway version of any of the alt coins we've seen so far.
FTWbitcoinFTW

Activity: 476

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 12:41:41 PM

Nice charts.  Where from?

Cryptocoincharts + Paint + PhotoScape  #skill4life

Lost coins only make everyone else's coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone.
it has lots of buttery taste..
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 05:10:06 PM

The altcoin subforum now looks unpleasantly reminiscent of the "Long term offers" & "Securities" subforums circa August 2012.  New issuers, scammers, and get-rich-quick attempts all over the place.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 05:40:18 PM

mccorvic

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 06:46:21 PM

Every alt-coin  (yes, every alt-coin) was designed only to act as Quantitative Easing for bitcoin, nothing more.  As soon as they all hit zero then BTC, and with it the concept of cryptocoin, will have cleared the last major hurdle to success.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 06:49:41 PM

They were a fad, now it's over. Still love the trollbox.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
mccorvic

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 06:50:07 PM

They were a fad, now it's over. Still love the trollbox.

The trollbox is something else, for sure.  Cheesy

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 07:27:39 PM

Every alt-coin  (yes, every alt-coin) was designed only to act as Quantitative Easing for bitcoin, nothing more.  As soon as they all hit zero then BTC, and with it the concept of cryptocoin, will have cleared the last major hurdle to success.

Actually no.
Ironically they provide additional investment incentive for bitcoin. This is because they are pegged to it, so in order to speculate on alt-coins you have to have bitcoins first.

The altcoin subforum now looks unpleasantly reminiscent of the "Long term offers" & "Securities" subforums circa August 2012.  New issuers, scammers, and get-rich-quick attempts all over the place.

True, monkey see, monkey do. When that mentality is gone then bitcoin will have "cleared the last major hurdle for success." But then that was always there as far I remember.
FCTaiChi

Activity: 308

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 11:58:08 PM

Every alt-coin  (yes, every alt-coin) was designed only to act as Quantitative Easing for bitcoin, nothing more.  As soon as they all hit zero then BTC, and with it the concept of cryptocoin, will have cleared the last major hurdle to success.

What about the corporate/government hurdle?  That's a mile high right now.  Not that btc won't grow up soon...

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:00:58 AM

The only alt-coin with any value distinct from bitcoin is Namecoin.  You can actually do something with it that is unique - buy .bit domains.

The others are junk, and while they may have some slight utility in buying some very limited numbers of things, that's just for the moment.  I see no future at all for any of them, once the alt-whales have sucked out the value from all of the unwary holders.

Is that why NMC is less than 10% of market cap of LTC? The problem with NMC is that it meant only to buy .bit domains, and .bit can not even be opened by a common user without making some proxy/DNS changes in their system. The value is very limited.

LTC's fast confirmation time is a huge plus, a lot of people on this forum already prefer LTC for trading things.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: