Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 04:45:54 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The kill/trade game  (Read 9265 times)
myrkul (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 04:08:43 AM

Should I edit my list?  I suppose it would be fair if the actions are locked in at the time of PM Smiley
You can add to it, but you can't change your decisions.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 04:29:11 AM

We should introduce BTC into this game. Perhaps a buy-in which is distributed proportionally?
However, I suspect that adding real money to the game will make people more conservative and likely to chose "kill." Therefore I think it should be done like so:
KillTrade
Kill(-, -)(+, -)
Trade(-, +)(+, +)

For some positive and negative values (which will obviously influence the outcome).

In the case of at least one person having a net negative, everyone's points can be increased by the absolute value of the lowest score:
PlayerRawScaledPayout
A-1214.3%
B-300%
C2535.7%
D4750%
Total214100%
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 04:33:08 AM

God, that's the second request to add stakes. You guys are like a bunch of poker players. "It's no fun unless it's for real money." Tongue

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
acs26

May 30, 2013, 04:33:47 AM

I just have to ask but:

Have you ever gone to prison, and then came up with this game?

(Don't get me wrong, it seems like a awesome game. But it seems like something you would play in a High-Max prison.)

(I would actually like to play it, but I'm too lazy.)
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 04:58:50 AM

But it seems like something you would play in a High-Max prison.
More like something you would play in the interrogation room:

FCTaiChi

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 05:30:50 AM

With those stats it looks like confession is the overal winner..?

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 06:31:46 AM

With those stats it looks like confession is the overal winner..?
Yup, in a one-off prisoner's dilemma, the optimal solution is always to defect. As soon as possible. Also, in an iterated game, if you know how long the game is going, it's always optimal to defect in the last round. (And since both people know that, the optimal solution in the next to last round, and thus every preceding round, is also to defect, resulting in a complete breakdown of "society")

In an indefinite game, though, the optimal choice becomes to cooperate. Trust is built (or destroyed) from round to round, and the results are remembered. Your reputation becomes important. If you defect, and lose that good reputation, people will start defecting on you and you'll end up worse off than if you had played nice the whole time.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 03:51:43 PM

Elwar, you have a task force?
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 04:00:22 PM

God, that's the second request to add stakes. You guys are like a bunch of poker players. "It's no fun unless it's for real money." Tongue
I just think it would make the game more "honest," and thus more worthy of study. Maybe one of these weekends I'll make a website for it.
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 04:29:51 PM

I just think it would make the game more "honest," and thus more worthy of study. Maybe one of these weekends I'll make a website for it.
In later games, I'm going to introduce variations that will attempt to encourage defecting, including trying to start a "war." It seems rather rude to make people pay for that.

On the contrary, in fact, I think if the only consequences are in-game, that will result in a clearer result in the end, when I add in the final variation to try and clear up the conflict. Remember that we're modeling the real world, and in the real world, there are no "meta-consequences." Adding such a meta-consequence would, in effect, be modeling the supposition that "religion X is true, and Y behavior will result in a reward in the afterlife." While certainly people act as though that were true in real life, modeling behavior without that incentive would result in an even clearer result.

If you want to make a website for it, and add stakes, that's fine. But, could you let the pure game play out, first? Wink

Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 05:05:33 PM

So who exactly is in game?

Could I even have complete list of that? Grin

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 05:17:24 PM

I suppose that's fair. I've been meaning to post a roster, anyway.

FCTaiChi
Elwar
wdmw
Foxpup
FenixRD
Rassah
Ekaros
Cameltoemcgee
Myrkul
Viscera
dacoinminster
Jobe7 (signed up way back on page 3)

Ekaros

Activity: 728

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 05:30:13 PM

I suppose that's fair. I've been meaning to post a roster, anyway.

FCTaiChi
Elwar
wdmw
Foxpup
FenixRD
Rassah
Ekaros
Cameltoemcgee
Myrkul
Viscera
dacoinminster
Jobe7 (signed up way back on page 3)

Thanks

12pA5nZB5AoXZaaEeoxh5bNqUGXwUUp3Uv
http://firstbits.com/1qdiz
Feel free to help poor student!
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 05:32:57 PM

Elwar, you have a task force?

Yep, I lobbied myrkul for special treatment to get a task force. That is the part of the game that is missing (bribes).

So it is in your best interest to not steal from me.

Plus I lojacked all of my goods.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 05:46:25 PM

What's the status? I'm strangely eager to find out how this goes.

myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 07:45:39 PM

Still going, waiting for responses from:
Foxpup
FenixRD
Cameltoemcgee
Viscera
Jobe7

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 01:08:21 AM

I'm still waiting to see what the Alliance has to say about the new rules. If I don't get a response soon, I'm going to have to start thinking for myself again. Undecided

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 01:24:30 AM

I'm still waiting to see what the Alliance has to say about the new rules. If I don't get a response soon, I'm going to have to start thinking for myself again. Undecided
lol

FCTaiChi

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 02:02:07 AM

lol fox..
I almost started a spreadsheet for this, then thought better of it.  I decided I'd just play what seemed like the best play from memory.  Kind of a natural method.  Before ledgers Smiley

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
myrkul (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 02:39:04 AM

lol fox..
I almost started a spreadsheet for this, then thought better of it.  I decided I'd just play what seemed like the best play from memory.  Kind of a natural method.  Before ledgers Smiley
I'll be doing similar posts for this as I did with the "Round Robin" style game, So you can keep track that way.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: