Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:12:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] - Stumptown Miners - Avalon PCB Assembly - West Coast USA  (Read 30675 times)
redphlegm

Activity: 246
Merit: 250

My spoon is too big!

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 06:41:51 PM

I'm still getting requests for orders via PM, and that's fine by me. I would rather have these PICs on Stumptown miners than have to sell them. I am a little amused, though: it seems like a good number of people waited until after the deadline to make their decision, since we've gone from 71 K16s ordered from before the deadline to 167. I have capacity for 256 K16s, and once we reach that, or once I sell the remainder of my PICs (whichever comes first), we are closed. Full stop.

If anyone still wants to get in on this, feel free to PM me. All orders taken through the order form earlier are covered, but any requests for orders I receive via PM will be contingent on component availability. I also reserve the right to suddenly snap shut the "extended ordering window" if it looks like component suppliers are running low on one of the components on the current BOM.

Assuming I can get the 14 chips, I'm interested in one more k16.

Whiskey Fund: (BTC) 1whiSKeYMRevsJMAQwU8NY1YhvPPMjTbM | (Ψ) ALcoHoLsKUfdmGfHVXEShtqrEkasihVyqW
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ryepdx (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 02:54:15 AM

Okay, so BkkCoins needs some of the components I bought for Stumptown Miners. I managed to snap up the last few 360nH power inductors before he could get any, so I'm lowering the number of K16s I'm producing from 256 to 250. That means there are now only 56 K16s left.

If anyone has any objections, speak up now. I personally feel like this is fair, though, since without BkkCoins none of this would be happening.
redphlegm

My spoon is too big!

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 02:55:55 AM

Okay, so BkkCoins needs some of the components I bought for Stumptown Miners. I managed to snap up the last few 360nH power inductors before he could get any, so I'm lowering the number of K16s I'm producing from 256 to 250. That means there are now only 56 K16s left.

If anyone has any objections, speak up now. I personally feel like this is fair, though, since without BkkCoins none of this would be happening.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. We would all be dead in the water without him. I hope people tip the everliving fuck out of him when this all comes together (or at the very least that he makes a pretty mint from royalties / licensing).

Whiskey Fund: (BTC) 1whiSKeYMRevsJMAQwU8NY1YhvPPMjTbM | (Ψ) ALcoHoLsKUfdmGfHVXEShtqrEkasihVyqW
ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 03:11:25 AM

Ah, BkkCoins found more. I'm still donating the parts he needs, but it looks like I can still offer 256 K16s total.
davecoin

Activity: 816
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 08:11:38 AM

Good news:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=190731.msg2732864#msg2732864
ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 03:44:18 PM

Yeah, I saw that! Looks like everything's coming together.

On another note, we've gone a little over budget on parts due to only 203 of the 256 available K16s being ordered. This means we have some excess inventory on some of the components that went out of stock early at some of the suppliers. This is relevant because it means a smaller refund for everyone. I'm working to increase our margins a bit again. If you know of anyone considering using Stumptown Miners, please have them PM me as soon as possible. We should be making our final component purchases in the next couple days. I was planning on making them today, but I've decided to follow BkkCoins' lead and let the final design sit in peer review for a couple days first.

We may also go over budget on heatsinks due to the supplier I was talking with becoming unresponsive. If anyone knows of a place where I could get some cheap heatsinks to fit the K16s, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Kushedout
Legendary

Activity: 1123
Merit: 1000

SaluS - (SLS)

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 03:54:13 PM

On another note, we've gone a little over budget on parts due to only 203 of the 256 available K16s being ordered. This means we have some excess inventory on some of the components that went out of stock early at some of the suppliers. This is relevant because it means a smaller refund for everyone. I'm working to increase our margins a bit again. If you know of anyone considering using Stumptown Miners, please have them PM me as soon as possible. We should be making our final component purchases in the next couple days. I was planning on making them today, but I've decided to follow BkkCoins' lead and let the final design sit in peer review for a couple days first.

We may also go over budget on heatsinks due to the supplier I was talking with becoming unresponsive. If anyone knows of a place where I could get some cheap heatsinks to fit the K16s, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks for the update.

Also, can you please let us know if we need to purchase anything on our side, so we'll be ready when the units get shipped., i.e. preferred power supplies, adapters, fans, splitters, etc...

Thanks.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 03:54:49 PM

Thanks!

you're in Oregon, right?
ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 05:29:41 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2013, 06:15:54 PM by ryepdx

Thanks for the update.

Also, can you please let us know if we need to purchase anything on our side, so we'll be ready when the units get shipped., i.e. preferred power supplies, adapters, fans, splitters, etc...

Thanks.

You need to order power supplies and fans.

The recommended fan is the SilenX EFX-10-12 Effizio: http://amzn.to/1bCQDfj
(Affiliate link: trying to cut down costs however possible.)

If you're getting a lot of K16s, you could probably just put them all in front of a big box fan and be alright. I'm toying with the idea of making a platform and setting them out in front of my air conditioner's fan. From what I've read on the Klondike thread, the chips are pretty easy to cool if you have a decent-sized heatsink on the board.

There isn't a single recommended PSU, but you'll want a gold or platinum certified PSU from a respected brand like Corsair. The K16s are powered by a 6-pin PCIe connector, so you'll need to have enough of those to power your Klondikes. You can also get splitters and adapters to increase the number of PCIe connectors your PSU can handle. I'm thinking about getting this one myself: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153145

I also have a bunch of Corsair Gold PSUs left over from my GPU mining operation that I might use.

you're in Oregon, right?

Yup. Why do you ask?
ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 06:16:51 PM

I got an email asking for more details on how many splitters/adapters one might need in order to power 24 K16s. I'm posting my response here in case anyone else finds it informative:

I haven't done all my homework yet, but making the reasonable assumption that all 8 PCIe connectors are capable of supplying the 75 watts they are each supposed to be able to supply, you can get 16 K16s handled by buying 8 of these: http://www.outletpc.com/jp1932.html

The safe, expensive route would be to do this twice. If I don't have enough operational Corsairs from my GPU farm left, then I'll probably go that route. It may also be possible to grab a couple 8-pin EPS to 6-pin PCIe adapters and then use splitters on those to obtain another four plugs and then do the same with some 4-pin peripheral to 6-pin PCIe adapters and splitters to obtain another eight. I don't know how clean the power coming from those rails will be, but it would certainly be cheaper than buying a whole 'nother PSU.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 06:35:23 PM

Thanks for the update.

Thanks.

If you're getting a lot of K16s, you could probably just put them all in front of a big box fan and be alright. I'm toying with the idea of making a platform and setting them out in front of my air conditioner's fan. From what I've read on the Klondike thread, the chips are pretty easy to cool if you have a decent-sized heatsink on the board.

There isn't a single recommended PSU, but you'll want a gold or platinum certified PSU from a respected brand like Corsair. The K16s are powered by a 6-pin PCIe connector, so you'll need to have enough of those to power your Klondikes. You can also get splitters and adapters to increase the number of PCIe connectors your PSU can handle. I'm thinking about getting this one myself: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153145

I also have a bunch of Corsair Gold PSUs left over from my GPU mining operation that I might use.

you're in Oregon, right?

Yup. Why do you ask?

i'm close so if i get involved i suppose i could come pick up and avoid shipping.
ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 07:19:41 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2013, 08:04:20 PM by ryepdx

i'm close so if i get involved i suppose i could come pick up and avoid shipping.

That would certainly be an option for you, yes. :-)

EDIT: Depending on how close you are and how many miners you buy, I might even be willing to drive out to you. The cost in gas would be a lot cheaper than the cost in unused components if you're able to buy a sizable percentage of the remaining 53 miners.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 08:18:57 PM

That would certainly be an option for you, yes. :-)

EDIT: Depending on how close you are and how many miners you buy, I might even be willing to drive out to you. The cost in gas would be a lot cheaper than the cost in unused components if you're able to buy a sizable percentage of the remaining 53 miners.

so if i understand your OP correctly, you provide and assemble everything except for chips, PSU, cables, and fans for a 5% markup?

if i don't have chips, i can't participate?
ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 08:38:37 PM

so if i understand your OP correctly, you provide and assemble everything except for chips, PSU, cables, and fans for a 5% markup?

Yes, that is indeed the case.
tolan77

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2013, 10:19:38 PM

Hey guys, I'll have 6 chips left over after ordering some k16s. I was originally planning to use them for k1s but since that's no longer available I'm looking to sell them. I am from Zefirs batch #1 group buy which was placed around April 10th and was one of the earliest orders placed so should be some of the first chips arriving. I'd like to sell them for around .2btc apiece OBO.
PM me or post here if you are interested.
Vycid

Activity: 336

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 03:57:59 AM

Yes, that is indeed the case.

Since we're all going to need a PSU, cables, fans, and a host controller to actually get our boards from this group hashing, does anyone have any insight or plans they'd like to share?

I've got a PSU that can handle all of my boards (1x PCI-e per K16, right?), but will it actually provide power without the mainboard connector plugged in? Does anyone have a workaround for this?

As for the I2C connectors - where's the best place to get some for a reasonable price? Same for the fans - the boards are 10x10, so are 120mm fans appropriate, or do we already have some sort of heatsink solution...?

I'm planning on using a raspberry pi for the host - cheap ($35+shipping), small, and easy on electricity. cgminer should do the rest.

timewaster

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 05:21:27 AM

I also have some spare chips that were planned for K1s. 8 chips ordered in SebastianJu group buy batch 1 (can verify ownership).

1.2 BTC for 8 chips. (0.15 per chip)
redphlegm

My spoon is too big!

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 05:47:45 AM

How many of those fans per k16?
Each k16 is ~75W and powered by one 6-pin pci-e connector, right?
Finally, we'll need a usb cable. What's the board end of the usb cable? How are they chained?

BitCsByBit

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 09:45:19 AM

Finally, we'll need a usb cable. What's the board end of the usb cable? How are they chained?

I would recommend a single rail PSU as that way you don't have to worry about load balancing the rails.

The 6 pin PCIe is rated 75W, while the 6+2 pin PCIe is rated 150W.

The K16s should be 32W but not confirmed, also it could be double that with some crazy overclocking  Grin

So without overclocking, and using splitters, a 6 pin PCIe could power 2 K16s and a 6+2 pin PCIe could power 4 K16s or a K64.

Tipsy jar: 1HgfLMXiJQj9KZ7abLRh9rWuR7dgeSyub4
Vycid

Activity: 336

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
July 17, 2013, 03:27:37 AM

I would recommend a single rail PSU as that way you don't have to worry about load balancing the rails.

The 6 pin PCIe is rated 75W, while the 6+2 pin PCIe is rated 150W.

The K16s should be 32W but not confirmed, also it could be double that with some crazy overclocking  Grin

So without overclocking, and using splitters, a 6 pin PCIe could power 2 K16s and a 6+2 pin PCIe could power 4 K16s or a K64.

Load balancing the rails?

I've got a PSU with 6 PCIe plugs, plus 2 from molex adapters. It'll need to power 8 boards. Is that a bad idea because the load will be so small on each rail? (PSU is 1000W)

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: