Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:24:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] - Stumptown Miners - Avalon PCB Assembly - West Coast USA  (Read 30680 times)
DPoS

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 12:06:13 AM

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a timeline of the different group buys? Zefir, Ragin, et al? I'm part of Ragin's first group buy and would just like to get a rough feeling for the time lag between group buy orders.

Ragin is AWOL..  i guess we picked the wrong horse in this race

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ryepdx (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 12:17:45 AM

I'm hoping it's due to the family emergency he mentioned. I'm hoping he shows up again to tell us what's going on before the chips ship to him. The natives are getting restless over on his thread and they're talking about maybe having the chips sent to someone else.
tolan77

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2013, 02:34:21 PM

Hey guys, just posting again. I will have 6 chips left over and I'm looking to sell them to somebody looking to complete theirs. My chips are from zefirs batch 1 which has since been received by zefir. PM me offers looking to sell this ASAP.
bigbeninlondon

Activity: 742

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 01:39:13 PM

I'm hoping it's due to the family emergency he mentioned. I'm hoping he shows up again to tell us what's going on before the chips ship to him. The natives are getting restless over on his thread and they're talking about maybe having the chips sent to someone else.

Hey Ryepdx;

I noticed in OP:

Ordering has ended. PCBs and components have been ordered.

In light of the ragingazn628 group buy issue, have you considered doing an additional run for the stranded raging participants?
ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 12:57:00 AM

In light of the ragingazn628 group buy issue, have you considered doing an additional run for the stranded raging participants?

I had some inquiries regarding that, and no, I'm not willing to do an additional run at this time. Components are just too scarce. With that said, I *am* willing to sell a few of my own complete miners. I'm working for an unfunded startup right now that can't pay me, so I'm looking to extend our runway a little bit by selling things off. (I've also got some 6990 video cards I'm selling, if anyone's interested in building a gaming machine.)

I've got 28 miners in this right now and I'm willing to sell up to 8 of them at $260 apiece at this time. (This includes chips.)

That said, those of you in Zefir's group buy should be seeing your miners shipping by the end of next week.
davecoin

Activity: 816
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 02:07:19 AM

tldr;  What's going on with the ragingazn group buy?
ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 09:09:27 AM

All is quiet on that front, it seems. Ragingazn628 had a bout of depression following a death in the family, but he's back now. The chips haven't been sighted yet, though. It's possible that they're among the ones being held up in customs.
DPoS

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 01:36:44 PM

All is quiet on that front, it seems. Ragingazn628 had a bout of depression following a death in the family, but he's back now. The chips haven't been sighted yet, though. It's possible that they're among the ones being held up in customs.

If I didn't already have a couple of K16's lined up with ryepdx I would sell my chips like many others have form the ragin buy

good to know that zefir's buy went through and boards made and shipping but not sure why ragin's got held up

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 10:00:21 PM

Hi all!

As you may know, Zefir's chips have been received. However, BkkCoins is not yet done with the firmware for the K16s. As it currently stands, we're the guinea pigs here. Bogart has volunteered the use of one of his boards to test the current K16 design and firmware, so we should be getting validation on that later today or tomorrow. If everything checks out, Colin will solder the remainder of the chips from Zefir's batch.

However, the PIC firmware does not currently allow for updating via USB, so I will be holding off on shipping anything until BkkCoins gets that part finished. If you are comfortable flashing updates to your PICs yourselves and want your miners shipped before then, please let me know. I just figure holding off is a good default option since flashing PICs requires special equipment and knowledge.

Thanks again for your support in this! Here's hoping Avalon gets the rest of our chips to us soon.
fasmax

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 10:32:29 PM

As far as I know you will be the first to test the new revision PCB hardware changes.
Seem a little strange TH or SB hasn't done this already.
Or if they have they haven't shared the results.
It is possible that some minor parts changes could be necessary to improve reliability and reduce HW errors.
But because no one has tested the new board and changes we just don't know for sure.
Thanks! Bogart! Thanks! ryepdx!
vs3

Activity: 622

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2013, 10:36:41 PM

However, the PIC firmware does not currently allow for updating via USB, so I will be holding off on shipping anything until BkkCoins gets that part finished. If you are comfortable flashing updates to your PICs yourselves and want your miners shipped before then, please let me know. I just figure holding off is a good default option since flashing PICs requires special equipment and knowledge.

First a disclosure - I didn't participate in your groupbuy so you can completely ignore or take my thoughts below -

For the PICs reprogramming all you'll need is a cheap ($10-30 on ebay) programming kit and the (free) software from Microchip. Alternatively, it is a weekend project for someone to write a custom programmer that would use just the serial port (or a USB-to-RS232 adapter for $5-10). I've done that several times in the past for the old PICs.

My point is - the programming/upgrading really isn't that much of a big deal.

On the other hand, writing a boot-loader and all the other software pieces necessary to support in-place-upgrade may take much more work.

The bottom line is that you may be better off to mine for a week or two with the old software (as long as it is stable enough) and then spend a few bucks to buy the programming kit/cables (which is also a one-time investment). And the more boards you have the more it makes sense to get them hashing as soon as possible.

That's just my 2 cents though.

And by the way - kudos for the great work! This is one of the better group-buys that I've seen around!

TomKeddie

Activity: 176

View Profile
August 17, 2013, 10:37:12 PM

Is this your test build rye?

http://placedroid.com/blogs/news/8625479-place-droid-assembles-first-of-many-klondike-k16-bitcoin-mining-engines

ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
August 18, 2013, 03:19:10 AM

Yup, that's ours! :-)
ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

Update on the test board: Colin's successfully run ktest and it's passing all the tests. However, it currently is only hashing for a couple of minutes before disconnecting. We think this is due to a software bug, but we're not sure yet. Colin will be working with BkkCoins to figure things out and get the Klondikes working as soon as possible.

Thanks again for all your patience. Sorry these aren't out the door yet! As a chip-holder in ragingazn's group buy, the rising difficulty is making me at least as nervous as it's probably making you guys.
tolan77

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 09:36:05 AM

With all this crazy news about Avalon refunding chip orders is it likely that bkkcoins will ever finish klondike?
ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 03:59:36 AM

Not sure. I know he was starting to lose heart earlier. I really hope he doesn't. :-/

With that said, there's been a lot of talk about refunds. I've already ordered and received all the components for everyone's miners, save for chips. Colin has already been paid as well. At this point, I don't really have much in hand to give you guys. On top of this, the terms of sales you guys agreed to state that refunds won't be available once components have been ordered.

However, I don't want to leave you all high and dry either. I've just emailed Colin to see how much of what I paid him he'd be willing to refund for those who want refunds. I will not be seeking a refund myself, though I am fully aware that this may be more due to having invested a lot into this emotionally than due to any cold, reasoned calculation.

Thank you all again for your support.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 04:30:44 AM

Not sure. I know he was starting to lose heart earlier. I really hope he doesn't. :-/

With that said, there's been a lot of talk about refunds. I've already ordered and received all the components for everyone's miners, save for chips. Colin has already been paid as well. At this point, I don't really have much in hand to give you guys. On top of this, the terms of sales you guys agreed to state that refunds won't be available once components have been ordered.

However, I don't want to leave you all high and dry either. I've just emailed Colin to see how much of what I paid him he'd be willing to refund for those who want refunds. I will not be seeking a refund myself, though I am fully aware that this may be more due to having invested a lot into this emotionally than due to any cold, reasoned calculation.

Maybe the group buy leaders should do a conference call and try to work this out somehow with the DIY builders / fabricators. If we can get enough chips to cover the builds asap and refund everyone else then all would be good. But of course Yifu needs to be in that discussion and work with everyone to help that happen. I want to do whatever we can to help you guys out it is insanity that these efforts are withering on the vine.

Maybe there is a way to nego all this for a win win for those who want out now and those who are still pressing ahead or are ready to fab. We want more project like this so the effort we put in to saving these projects will pay dividends for everyone the next time chips and designs are available for the DIY community.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
tolan77

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 01:27:24 PM

I'm not really interested in a refund as I understand all the craziness this has become. However since you do already have my chips from Zefir's batch 1 if it's not looking like klondike will ever materialize I'm wondering if there's any other option to make them useable or if they are just gonna have to be paperweights.
Loredo

Activity: 238

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 01:55:40 PM

Maybe the group buy leaders should do a conference call and try to work this out somehow with the DIY builders / fabricators. If we can get enough chips to cover the builds asap and refund everyone else then all would be good. But of course Yifu needs to be in that discussion and work with everyone to help that happen.
There is virtually no chance that little prick would get involved. 

First, most of the group buyers are not Chinese, so they don't matter.

Second, Yifu is a narcissist, so they don't matter.

Third, he's a criminal, so they don't matter.
DPoS

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 02:21:29 PM

Why is the Klondike in jeporady ?   Did bkk get samplechips?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: