Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:53:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [CLOSED] - Stumptown Miners - Avalon PCB Assembly - West Coast USA  (Read 30680 times)
ryepdx (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 04:26:51 AM

True but at least we don't have to lose 60% of our investment in hardware (boards and parts). It may take a little longer but the production run can continue

Agreed. I'm going to be trying to get 2nd gen chips on my Klondikes, given today's announcement.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 04:47:23 AM

True but at least we don't have to lose 60% of our investment in hardware (boards and parts). It may take a little longer but the production run can continue

Agreed. I'm going to be trying to get 2nd gen chips on my Klondikes, given today's announcement.

Maybe... some BitFury's would be better. Not sure what modifications are required... but given the last order of chips will Gen2 be any different?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Vycid

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 04:50:06 AM

Well, I'm going to wait for the specs, but that's seeming like the rational course of action.

redphlegm

Activity: 246

My spoon is too big!

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 05:15:49 AM

Me too and I would love to support you, ryepdx, as a group buy coordinator if you are so inclined to oblige...

Whiskey Fund: (BTC) 1whiSKeYMRevsJMAQwU8NY1YhvPPMjTbM | (Ψ) ALcoHoLsKUfdmGfHVXEShtqrEkasihVyqW
ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 04:19:37 PM

I'd certainly oblige, if they sell in batches of 10,000 again. There's a possibility they won't this time, since they'll be selling on-hand stock. Then again, they may sell in batches anyway in order to reduce their shipping workload. They're definitely not keen on handling customers directly, that's for sure.

Guess we'll wait and see.
Kushedout
Legendary

Activity: 1123
Merit: 1000

SaluS - (SLS)

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 06:12:47 PM

ryepdx, given the latest update, please ignore my last PM.  Wink

Thanks.

DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
September 10, 2013, 09:56:14 PM

ryepdx, are our K16's assembled or you just have the parts waiting for chips before they would be assembled?

Just wondering..  I wouldn't mind selling my 2 on consignment, at a discount, if anyone wants them

thanks

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
redphlegm

My spoon is too big!

View Profile
September 11, 2013, 12:42:38 AM

I'd certainly oblige, if they sell in batches of 10,000 again. There's a possibility they won't this time, since they'll be selling on-hand stock. Then again, they may sell in batches anyway in order to reduce their shipping workload. They're definitely not keen on handling customers directly, that's for sure.

Guess we'll wait and see.

I would be surprised if they changed the 10k minimum order. It's up to you, of course, but it may be worthwhile getting ahead of things and start the process for a group buy. Don't take any funds, of course, but the closer the group is to a completed order, the faster we'll get it once they are released. We would have to make some assumptions, but I think it would be a fair start to assume the same price, same minimum order (10k), and you already have assembly figured out for however many you ordered parts for. Plus, if you get people to commit to the assembly, you can order the required components before the rush (and avoid the problems we ran into last time). Hell, you may even be able to get them cheap with so many people pulling out. Anyway, just a thought. I'm rambling. Smiley

Whiskey Fund: (BTC) 1whiSKeYMRevsJMAQwU8NY1YhvPPMjTbM | (Ψ) ALcoHoLsKUfdmGfHVXEShtqrEkasihVyqW
eabedry

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 12, 2013, 04:58:36 AM

Same here. I've requested a refund for my 1st gen chips. I plan on getting 2nd gen chips and hopefully the parts you have can still be used for that.
ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 01:20:03 AM

ryepdx, are our K16's assembled or you just have the parts waiting for chips before they would be assembled?

No, the only K16s assembled so far are Bogart's 4 K16s, for testing purposes. We have the parts and are waiting on chips.

I'll start a thread later tonight to gauge interest in getting gen 2 chips through me in the event that Avalon requires bulk purchases again, or else offers discounts of some kind.

Thanks again for everyone's patience through this.
kosmokramer

Activity: 266

The Assman: CEO of Vandelay Import/Export, Inc.

View Profile
September 17, 2013, 03:51:14 PM

We have the parts

Hi Ryan, when you say you have the parts, does that include boards? We had previously discussed with my refund that I would like to have all of the parts I purchased shipped to me since, understandably, they are not refundable. Is that possible at this time? That is the last step my refunds with the project (you've refunded labor, steamboat has refunded chips, just need components now).

Thanks!

firstbits: 1kosmo | PGP Public Key
tolan77

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 03:23:29 AM

I have yet to hear from ryepdx since August 26th. He has my chips from batch 1 and I have no idea whether he's sending them to me or going to be able to build them into a miner. I'd like to hear from him when he gets a chance.
ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 04:02:15 AM

I have yet to hear from ryepdx since August 26th. He has my chips from batch 1 and I have no idea whether he's sending them to me or going to be able to build them into a miner. I'd like to hear from him when he gets a chance.

Sorry about that. I did get your message and thought I had already replied to it. On top of this, Colin emailed me later that day about a customer who'd been asking for their chips and for some reason I thought he was talking about you. So I figured the two of you had handled it. Looking back at the emails, though, I see now that he was *not* talking about you, but about another customer, and that I had *not* in fact replied to your message. Mea maxima culpa.

Last I heard from Colin, he and the other developers had discovered that some of the component values needed to be changed. He was going to try the new components on Friday, but I haven't heard anything from him about it yet. I just sent off another email asking for a status update. We are still planning on getting chips on boards, but I understand if you want out at this point. Please let me know what you decide. If you do want out, I'll go ahead and refund the cost of assembly plus my margin to the address you PMed me.

Edit: Have you gotten the six chips you requested earlier? They were supposed to have been sent around the end of August.

Hi Ryan, when you say you have the parts, does that include boards? We had previously discussed with my refund that I would like to have all of the parts I purchased shipped to me since, understandably, they are not refundable. Is that possible at this time? That is the last step my refunds with the project (you've refunded labor, steamboat has refunded chips, just need components now).

Yes, that includes the boards. We can ship your components to you at this time. Colin has all of them at the moment, so I'll make sure he does that ASAP.
tolan77

Activity: 125

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 04:12:30 PM

Sorry about that. I did get your message and thought I had already replied to it. On top of this, Colin emailed me later that day about a customer who'd been asking for their chips and for some reason I thought he was talking about you. So I figured the two of you had handled it. Looking back at the emails, though, I see now that he was *not* talking about you, but about another customer, and that I had *not* in fact replied to your message. Mea maxima culpa.

Last I heard from Colin, he and the other developers had discovered that some of the component values needed to be changed. He was going to try the new components on Friday, but I haven't heard anything from him about it yet. I just sent off another email asking for a status update. We are still planning on getting chips on boards, but I understand if you want out at this point. Please let me know what you decide. If you do want out, I'll go ahead and refund the cost of assembly plus my margin to the address you PMed me.

Edit: Have you gotten the six chips you requested earlier? They were supposed to have been sent around the end of August.

Thanks for your reply, If boards can still be made I'd definitely appreciate it as if I receive the chips they'll probably end up just being paperweights. As to the 6 extra chips, no I have not received them thus why I was messaging you asking what was going on.If they were sent can you get a tracking number for them when you get a chance? I don't think I gave you the wrong address but mistakes happen.
kosmokramer

Activity: 266

The Assman: CEO of Vandelay Import/Export, Inc.

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 11:05:12 PM

Yes, that includes the boards. We can ship your components to you at this time. Colin has all of them at the moment, so I'll make sure he does that ASAP.

Thanks Ryan! Appreciate the response.

If anyone wants these components, let me know!

I'm going to post this in the marketplace too, but if there's anyone looking for a good price on ~100 or fewer BFL chips, please let me know - I would expect these to be delivered soon.

firstbits: 1kosmo | PGP Public Key
ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 09:01:00 PM

Tolan, I'll send an email to Colin asking about the six chips. I'm sorry you haven't received them yet.

Speaking of Colin, he sent me this update last night:

Hi all,

Thought I'd send you all a quick update:  With the latest part swaps and firmware my one built unit has been hashing most of the day without a single issue.

The only thing now is the high reported error rate, but its really looking like a firmware issue.  A great deal of progress was made today by the dev group and I'm getting a good feeling they are converging on a solution.  I'm checking on the progress every couple hours.

Even with the HW errors its around 4Ghash/s.  Not bad.

You should see quite a bit of work submitted to the pool.  Perhaps that will boost spirits a little.  I'll leave it running from now on.  I may take it offline now and then to update or for phone calls in my office.  The fan I have on hand is noisy as hell. Wink

I know several of you have been looking at refunds or putting the ASIC's on other boards.  Still an option of course, but things are progressing and Ryan and myself are doing what (little) we can.

I did want to stress that this board is NOT DIY friendly.  Unless you have another known to work board and a top-tier assembly contractor you'll be in for a bad time.  Most of the other boards assembled by the current dev team, some by contract assembly houses, have needed significant rework and some have failed outright. The only way to reliably assemble a board like this is with high end automated equipment and very experienced operators.

I also want to give my reassurance that the moment the dev team (and myself) are confident the design is good and working I will proceed to build the boards and get them shipped asap.  The parts are loaded in the machine and ready to rock.  I'll work with Ryan to expedite the logistics as much as possible.

I'll keep you all posted, and thank-you for your patience.  I do understand how trying this is.

Ryan, please forward this to anyone else you like (other then the Zefir batch 1 group who I've Bcc'd).

Have a good week all!

Colin Fitzgerald, Founder/CEO
Place Droid Inc.
redphlegm

My spoon is too big!

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 09:12:30 PM
Last edit: September 24, 2013, 09:28:37 PM by redphlegm

ryepdx,
You mentioned you were going to create a new thread for gauging interest in Gen 2 chips for the boards & components that have already been ordered and / or received. I didn't see any though. Any way to get on board with that? Without question I would back / trust you as a group buy organizer (of course would prefer on-hand stock rather than pre-order). Any info?

ryepdx (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 09:20:58 PM

Sorry, I haven't done that yet. Must have gotten busy with other things that night and forgotten to put the thread together. I'll do it now and put the link here. :-)

Edit:
Thread's here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301010

Thanks again, everyone.
Vycid

Activity: 336

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 04:14:06 AM

Hey Ryan,

Is there any update on Gen 2 chips?

If not, I'm thinking it's about time to extract whatever value is left in these boards... what is left over per K16, less parts?

TomKeddie

Activity: 176

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 07:10:01 PM

Is there any update on Gen 2 chips?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301010.msg3277416#msg3277416

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I'm going to go ahead with a group buy, then, as soon as Avalon's terms of sale are available. And again, if you're interested in being notified when that happens, PM me or watch this thread. I'll be announcing it here when it happens.
[/quote
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: