Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:48:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet Issue  (Read 1285 times)
sLide. (OP)

Activity: 170
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 10:25:48 PM

I didn't have my bitcoin wallet.dat file backed up and my computer crashed.  I reinstalled it and sync'ed with the network.  I have my bitcoin addresses on paper.  How can I put them back into my wallet? 

If this is answered in another post, please link that post or give me the right terms to search with.  Thanks!

Aim - Slide.0
1J6UeiXtBYXmpA6uajRs3aJpUD1Tsj1CF3 - Tips?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 10:28:45 PM

I didn't have my bitcoin wallet.dat file backed up and my computer crashed.  I reinstalled it and sync'ed with the network.  I have my bitcoin addresses on paper.  How can I put them back into my wallet? 

If this is answered in another post, please link that post or give me the right terms to search with.  Thanks!

Do you have address and private keys both?

If you only have address it's useless without keys.
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2013, 10:40:24 PM

By "reinstalled" you mean OS reinstall?
Then they're probably gone.
There still is a small chance to recover it. Shut down the computer as soon as you read this, put the disk onto another machine (or boot from some Linux live CD) and wait for some skilled bitcoiners to find this thread and give you advice on how to possibly recover the lost wallet.
sLide. (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 10:40:43 PM

Do you have address and private keys both?

If you only have address it's useless without keys.

I have the address that looks like the address in your sig - 1Gu393d9rzVXWvAF3u12j17R3aVsnRKAT5 - .  What's the private key look like?

Aim - Slide.0
sLide. (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 10:41:49 PM

There still is a small chance to recover it. Shut down the computer as soon as you read this, put the disk onto another machine (or boot from some Linux live CD) and wait for some skilled bitcoiners to find this thread and give you advice on how to possibly recover the lost wallet.

I do mean reinstalling the OS.  And I was worried about that. 

Aim - Slide.0
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 10:48:51 PM

I do mean reinstalling the OS.  And I was worried about that. 

Just a reinstall or you formatted OS drive (Usually C drive) and then installed OS?

and you can read about private key here. https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Private_key
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 11:13:04 PM

It COULD still be on the hard drive depending if you backed up your files or didn't reinstall certain parts, did you?
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 11:25:54 PM
Last edit: May 12, 2013, 11:58:14 PM by jackjack

Wow...  Sad
Small chance of recovery

Use your computer as little as possible
Download this to an USB drive
Report successful launch
Device -> Open disk device -> educated guess (ask here for help)
When the device is open: Edit -> Find
Search as TEXT, Options: only Match Case checked, Search: ckey! (which are five characters: 4 letters and '!') (Assuming your wallet is encrypted, if not encrypted, post it)
Wait (might take a few hours) and hope

If nothing is found, you'll have to contact a higher level recovery professional
If something is found, it's still far from being easy: just report here

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
sLide. (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 11:26:34 PM

It COULD still be on the hard drive depending if you backed up your files or didn't reinstall certain parts, did you?

I formatted the drive.  I wasn't aware that I needed the private key along with the public key to restore it.  That's a 3BTC lesson learned.

Aim - Slide.0
teriaki

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 11:45:11 PM
Last edit: May 13, 2013, 12:32:04 AM by teriaki

We are a half decade away, at least, from widespread BTC use.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 11:51:50 PM

And that's a good thing

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
teriaki

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 12:32:56 AM

And that's a good thing

It's a good thing there are so many massive barriers to entry into BTC?
redtwitz

Activity: 231

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 01:56:10 AM

First and foremost: Shut the computer down now! The longer you use it after deleting a file or formatting the disk, the smaller are the chances of recovering a file.

Two options:

1. Connect the HDD to another computer and install a file recovery utility like Recuva. You'll probably won't get proper names for the recoverable files, so just attempt to recover all that could be your wallet (e.g., all that are sufficiently small). Search inside the recovered files for one of your addresses; your wallet.dat will contain them as plain text.

2. Boot from a Linux Live CD and use PhotoRec to recover files and grep to search inside them for your address. This might help.
Dapper

Activity: 560
Merit: 260

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:24:26 PM

Didn't want to start a new thread, as this is also a Bitcoin wallet issue....

Block Chain Wallet.   Have made hundreds of transfers with it.   For the first time ever, I'm getting this message:

"ReferenceError: Undefined variable: precisionFromBTC"

when I try to make this transfer to another Bitcoin address.  The transfer doesn't execute and the Bitcoins remain in place.   

Any ideas?

sent from my X6
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:58:23 PM

Didn't want to start a new thread, as this is also a Bitcoin wallet issue....

Block Chain Wallet.   Have made hundreds of transfers with it.   For the first time ever, I'm getting this message:

"ReferenceError: Undefined variable: precisionFromBTC"

when I try to make this transfer to another Bitcoin address.  The transfer doesn't execute and the Bitcoins remain in place.   

Any ideas?

A quick search of the forum for "precisionFromBTC" turns up the following:

It is a caching issue, if you normally login using the direct link to your identifier try https://blockchain.info/wallet/login instead.

Please clear your browsers cache and reload the page.

I am getting the same error:

Firefox 20.0.1

Try this:

Go to “Preferences… > Advanced > Network > Offline Storage”
Click on “Clear now”
teriaki

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:12:41 AM

I'm sure many people said similar things about website use back in 1993.  Turns out they were wrong.

Really? Because you're making my point. Internet usage was finally widespread a decade after 1993.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:23:34 AM

I'm sure many people said similar things about website use back in 1993.  Turns out they were wrong.

Really? Because you're making my point. Internet usage was finally widespread a decade after 1993.

Bah!  Somehow I read that as "half century".

I'm in 100% agreement that mainstream use of bitcoin is probably at least a half decade away.
teriaki

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 05:08:05 PM

Bah!  Somehow I read that as "half century".

I'm in 100% agreement that mainstream use of bitcoin is probably at least a half decade away.

Damn.  I was looking for a fight! Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: