Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:10:36 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Merchants Accepting Bitcoins in Non-Bitcoin Related Industry?  (Read 2084 times)
K and A Traders

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 05:15:31 PM

Is it really that risky? 
Keep an app open that tells you when the price drops more than 6%...  there is one called Bitcoin Paranoid.

Do you like sleep?  I like sleep.
xh4

Activity: 12

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 05:17:09 PM

There's a company called Gyft that's offering gift cards to anything in exchange for Bitcoins.
FCTaiChi

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

decentralizedhashing.com

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 06:50:32 PM
Last edit: May 15, 2013, 07:02:25 PM by FCTaiChi

Is it really that risky? 
Keep an app open that tells you when the price drops more than 6%...  there is one called Bitcoin Paranoid.

Do you like sleep?  I like sleep.

I'm not quite sure how often the market fluctuates 6-10% or whatever the risk op is comfortable with, so surely that could be a problem.  Would be easy to transfer at the end of the day and not accept btc orders except during business hours.  (Local time, or whatever they feel comfortable working.)  Odd model for online business, I agree.. but still reasonable.

I'm sure there is a thread somewhere that could be pointed to that would have all the best options stated, anyone?

Mining Equipment Comparison Table                               Bitcoin News                             1nKAizrhGzvLfWBVfX8fGLAs6kxKV7aXM
nebulus

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

... it only gets better...

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 06:54:33 PM

Plenty here at www.coingig.com.

We even got someone selling this http://coingig.com/kochac/530   Smiley

zkoynz

Activity: 29

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 07:00:17 PM

neat idea. cool site
doosey2

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 07:10:56 PM

hey man i didn't see Bacon Hot Sauce on your site!!!

http://www.baconhotsauce.com/

Hot sauce lovers unite.
hothothot1994 (OP)

Activity: 36

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 11:07:32 PM

I'm sure there is a thread somewhere that could be pointed to that would have all the best options stated, anyone?

www.bitpay.com
hothothot1994 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 11:15:30 PM

hey man i didn't see Bacon Hot Sauce on your site!!!

http://www.baconhotsauce.com/

Hot sauce lovers unite.

Well, there are a TON of hot sauces out there, but we are definitely going to expand our selection!!! Thanks for taking a look!
BTCoder

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 11:16:46 PM

Awesome, cool! Thanks!
hothothot1994 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 11:17:13 PM

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. If you want to order you can use the coupon code I just created for the forum...

Coupon Code: BITTALK10

For 10% off! www.hothothot.com
hothothot1994 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 03:39:25 AM

If you like hot sauce, check out our marketplace post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=206670.0

If you still cannot post outside the newbie forum, please ask any questions or give any comments/feedback here. I'll be happy to respond!
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 04:08:17 AM

Bitcoins are dangerous to accept now because of how much the price fluctuates. However, I believe if more and more retailers were to accept it the price would become more stable. The best thing you can do right now is implement a system that sells all your bitcoins if they drop a certain amount, say 10%

Agree, with one exception.  If he's looking to invest in BTC, selling his hot sauce for BTC is one way to go about it.  In fact, he could implement a system where it would stop offering BTC as a payment method once he's reached his monthly BTC investment goal.

yep

As a merchant that accepts (even prefers) bitcoin payment.  It does have risk, but the time cost averaging tends to work out nicely.
We sell the New Liberty Dollar silver pieces and do not take credit cards or paypal, only non-reversible transactions such as Bitcoin or bank deposit.

This allows us to keep our costs lower than any others that do the same thing, so if you are looking to expand your silver collection, or to pick up pieces useful for in person commerce, you can find us at NewLibertyDollar.com.

We will likely do a piece specifically to honor Bitcoin in the near future.  At the Bitcoin Conference last weekend in San Jose there was a lot of folks clamoring for them, so our designers have been hard at work ever since.  They have some interesting ideas that we are looking forward to seeing realized.

Speaking of which, if any of you have ideas that you would like to see in a physical silver piece celebrating the bitcoin development, send me an IM or suggestion through the website which will go to the developers directly.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
Skeptiker

Activity: 32

View Profile
May 25, 2013, 12:07:26 PM

So how many hot sauce bitcoin transactions have you seen so far?
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2013, 11:01:50 PM

Going to be backing bitcoin with silver and gold.
Simply by selling silver and gold pieces for bitcoin.

Doing my little bit for the community.

When the new pieces will be available they will be under http://bitColdHardCash.com

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
JSMill

Activity: 56

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 06:05:06 PM

Cool sites here.
skippylou

Activity: 12

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 07:25:54 PM

There are two big obstacles to widespread use:

1. Trust as it applies to online transactions.

2. Speed as it applies to small face-to-face retail transactions.

If there is ever enough financial incentive for a few large trusted online retailers like Amazon to accept Bitcoins the first obstacle could be overcome.   Reloadable smart cards would encourage face-to-face retail transactions if they can be completed in much less than a minute.  Of course people would have to understand:  lose your card, lose your money; just like hard cash. 

The big advantage is anonymity. GPS, cameras everywhere, credit card trails; Big Brother isn't coming, he is here.  Of course most people don't care until they are the target and then it is too late. 
Cyberburner

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 09:35:05 PM

Ok, Iknow what to do now Smiley
Lemming

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:02:13 PM

www.bitpay.com

Bitpay is nice, and they already offer POS Bitcoin payments (with an iPad). But I'm wondering about the speed, is it really usable? Maybe they use another system for POS as what they use for web payments?

I'm saying this because I did a web payment recently where the merchant was using Bitpay. The payment was only confirmed after the block with my transaction was calculated and included in the block chain. This means it took several minutes to confirm my payment. On the other hand, I paid for the new Humble Indie Bundle yesterday, and they use https://coinbase.com/‎ as a Bitcoin payment processor. There, my payment was confirmed in only a few seconds. That's the speed you need for POS payments.

But on the Coinbase web site I don't find anything about POS systems, they only do web payments...
hothothot1994 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2013, 11:45:43 PM

So how many hot sauce bitcoin transactions have you seen so far?

We've only had a handful of Bitcoin orders so far in the 2 weeks it's been available as an option. There was a bit of a hiccup at first, but we fixed the bug and I've tested it since...it works great now. Very easy process with BitPay. I'm hoping more people order with Bitcoin because it is far and away THE easiest and cheapest payment method from our side. Transaction costs are a fraction of what credit cards charge.
falalico

Activity: 3

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:54:10 PM

I found it.  Throw his sig into Google.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: