Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:07:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheater accusation: Surpbitcoin.  (Read 1247 times)
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 08:38:52 AM
Last edit: May 13, 2013, 08:51:29 AM by Matthew N. Wright

The user Surpbitcoin created a binding auction thread to sell an Avalon Batch 3 pre-order. Disclaimer: I am not involved in that auction in any way, just happened to notice it and am reporting it.

Right before the auction was meant to end, he backed out on the high bidder. That said, he is not a scammer. Scams are relative to confidence schemes etc. Cheating is depriving someone of something expected. This auction was expected to end with the item sold to the highest bidder.

Code:
auc·tion  [awk-shuhn] 
noun: Also called public sale. a publicly held sale at which property or goods are sold to the highest bidder.

Code:
cheat  [cheet]
verb: to elude; deprive of something expected:

Hello guys,

I think I'm getting my hands on a bunch of batch 2 Avalons. I decided to sell one of my pre orders for a batch 3 unit. It has the PSU and 3 Mods.

Its order number 66XX paid in full 2013/03/25 and is being shipped to Canada. Once I get the rig I will un-box it, start it up and run it while videotaping it and posting it to youtube to prove that it is a working rig. Once that's complete I will send you the rig within 24 Hours and I'll use the fastest shipping I can find for < 150CAD.

I reserve the right to remove this auction at any time because the unit is being sold locally as well as on these forums. I will run this auction for 1 week at which time it will either have sold locally or on here to the highest bidder. Minimum bid increments of 0.5BTC.

Good Luck

Surp

Best bid so far is 78.5 BTC.

I will keep this auction running for now and wont close the auction without giving at least 72 hours notice. I dont have the machine yet, so no reason to end the auction.

Good Luck

85btc

Auction end date: May 13th

I'm ending this auction, I have decided to go another direction with this unit. Thanks for coming out though.

come on man,im the winning bidder so far !
thats so wrong!

come on man,im the winning bidder so far !
thats so wrong!

Sorry man, things just did not work out the way I had planned.

I meant no harm!

Surp

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Surpbitcoin

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 04:07:00 AM

First of all,

I guess you failed to read the following

"I reserve the right to remove this auction at any time because the unit is being sold locally as well as on these forums"

second, who the fuck are you to talk shit about me, you're an open scammer and had the scammer tag before.

Fuck off!

Surp
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 07:40:18 AM

Auctions by their very nature prohibit such gaming. Disclaimers on viruses do not excuse the virus maker. Cheating is cheating. Don't (you or anyone else) put up an auction without the intent to sell to the highest bidder *here*, have some integrity.

shibaji

Activity: 308
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 07:46:04 AM

Auctions by their very nature prohibit such gaming. Disclaimers on viruses do not excuse the virus maker. Cheating is cheating. Don't (you or anyone else) put up an auction without the intent to sell to the highest bidder *here*, have some integrity.

Welcome to real World.

Seller sells for max profit, and buyer buys for best deal. Period.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 07:58:09 AM

Welcome to real World.

That is not the "real world", that is a sad world lacking in any integrity. If that's the world you're helping build then you're part of the problem. Your groceries do not get sold to someone else while you're carrying them to the checkout, you don't also don't use *auctions* to test the market. Auctions are the final attempt to sell, after all else has failed.

shibaji

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:03:39 AM

Welcome to real World.

That is not the "real world", that is a sad world lacking in any integrity. Your groceries do not get sold to someone else while you're carrying them to the checkout, you don't also don't use *auctions* to test the market. Auctions are the final attempt to sell, after all else has failed.

Oh it sure does! That's how middleman profits while those change hand from farmer to big retail chain. Every corner of life has it. Stock market to you baby's nappy - everywhere - whenever there is a shred of business sense. The only place where this has no meaning is within your circle of trust, your near and dear ones - where there is no business.

This forum is all about money. Unless a contract is signed / commitment is made, seller is free to change, and so is buyer.  

Also,
Auctions are the final attempt to sell, after all else has failed.

you are severely mistaken my friend  Grin look around - out of this forum. It is not the last resort - it is the most lucrative resort in most cases.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:09:05 AM

Unless a contract is signed / commitment is made, seller is free to change, and so is buyer.  

Auctions are a form of binding contract. That's kind of the point. People expect to be reserved the exclusive opportunity to purchase if they risk the largest amount of money up front. In this case, this was cheated from the highest bidder despite making it appear the otherwise winning bidder was only hours away from winning.

Anywy, if you read it, I said he is a cheater, not a scammer. Even with your jaded view you should be able to agree to that, considering "cheating is a part of ruthless business" and all that.

shibaji

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:16:47 AM

Unless a contract is signed / commitment is made, seller is free to change, and so is buyer.  

Auctions are a form of binding contract. That's kind of the point. People expect to be reserved the exclusive opportunity to purchase if they risk the largest amount of money up front. In this case, this was cheated from the highest bidder despite making it appear the otherwise winning bidder was only hours away from winning.

Anywy, if you read it, I said he is a cheater, not a scammer. Even with your jaded view you should be able to agree to that, considering "cheating is a part of ruthless business" and all that.

It is unfortunate that you consider realistic view jaded, but that is your problem, not mine.

Auctions are binding (with few exceptions), and I would agree that breaking that near finish line is unethical. However, in this case since there was a disclaimer in OP, I see no fault. Any bidder must have placed their bit knowing the bids may be cancelled even at last second - with expectation alike yourself, the prudent move would have been not to place a bid.

I guess you did not get that with your jaded view of the closed World.

Anyways, I am done with this topic.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 08:19:29 AM

Auctions are binding (with few exceptions), and I would agree that breaking that near finish line is unethical.

Thank you. He's a cheater, like I said. Not a scammer, not a murderer, not a child molester, not a spammer, not the worst person even on these forums, but someone whom cheats (regardless of attempted disclaimers).

Surpbitcoin

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 06:43:58 PM

I did not cheat anyone, I CLEARLY stated my guidelines.

You're just a sad fellow!
Surpbitcoin

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 06:45:04 PM

It is unfortunate that you consider realistic view jaded, but that is your problem, not mine.

Auctions are binding (with few exceptions), and I would agree that breaking that near finish line is unethical. However, in this case since there was a disclaimer in OP, I see no fault. Any bidder must have placed their bit knowing the bids may be cancelled even at last second - with expectation alike yourself, the prudent move would have been not to place a bid.

I guess you did not get that with your jaded view of the closed World.

Anyways, I am done with this topic.

+42 million karma and if you give me a btc addy I'll send some coin your way.

You're the man!
kodo

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 03:54:06 AM

So many scammers its ridiculous
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 04:04:47 AM

I'm assuming he added the disclaimer at the start of the auction.  If so, then the bidders knew what they were getting into.  It's no different than putting a reserve price on an auction item up for bid. 

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
jc328

Activity: 92

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 04:10:53 AM

Well, my patience has run dry, and my optimism about having my funds returned has also been drained.  Just wanted to make sure he cannot use the same account to swindle another.

This is regarding Thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=232053.msg2525923#msg2525923

Long Story Short, I contracted 45 btc for half an Avalon.  Initial payment being 10 btc.  After 1 week of delays, I requested a refund as I have received nothing.  Now approaching a week since he agreed to my refund, simply silence.

As the last poster mentioned, Always use escrow  Wink Funny how I have used it for essentially every trade and the only one you dont, it bites you in the behind.  I'm just going to take this as a lesson learned...really no one to blame but your own idiocy in situations like this.

I had actually felt that he appeared reputable by the following facts:

400+ posts, although I should have payed attention to when it was registered
Having provided a passport, facebook login that matched. 
Presented a picture of avalons with my username and his, inclusive of dates
Prior deals:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=198678.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=198678.msg2095098#msg2095098

Lastly, he apparently had met and had drinks with a Moderator in Israel.

Either way, just use escrow and save the hassle.  Always  Grin 
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 04:38:01 AM

Dropped some red on this douche.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 05:24:47 AM

Well, my patience has run dry, and my optimism about having my funds returned has also been drained.  Just wanted to make sure he cannot use the same account to swindle another.

This is regarding Thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=232053.msg2525923#msg2525923

Long Story Short, I contracted 45 btc for half an Avalon.  Initial payment being 10 btc.  After 1 week of delays, I requested a refund as I have received nothing.  Now approaching a week since he agreed to my refund, simply silence.

As the last poster mentioned, Always use escrow  Wink Funny how I have used it for essentially every trade and the only one you dont, it bites you in the behind.  I'm just going to take this as a lesson learned...really no one to blame but your own idiocy in situations like this.

I had actually felt that he appeared reputable by the following facts:

400+ posts, although I should have payed attention to when it was registered
Having provided a passport, facebook login that matched. 
Presented a picture of avalons with my username and his, inclusive of dates
Prior deals:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=198678.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=198678.msg2095098#msg2095098

Lastly, he apparently had met and had drinks with a Moderator in Israel.

Either way, just use escrow and save the hassle.  Always  Grin 

Oh, that seriously happened? Damn, well his rep can go to the shitcan. That's terrible  Undecided

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
jc328

Activity: 92

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 06:27:50 AM

Thanks Tomato dude!  Your rating will actually have meaning relative to mine. Wink  Should have listened to your how to spot a scammer Step 1! hah

No worries Diamond.  Although it was a nice chunk of coin, actually a bit more irritated that I spent the time that I did on it.  Everyone on this board has been quite wonderful so far.  He is quite the exception.  Actually almost just swallowed the loss and moved on, but would be even more upset with myself if I saw another get conned so posted my experience.  Not going to spend too much time on this at this point.  If he tries further deals, he'll have this tied to him, so I'm fine.  He'll get whats coming to him eventually, they always do.  Cheesy

DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 01:24:07 PM

Thanks Tomato dude!  Your rating will actually have meaning relative to mine. Wink  Should have listened to your how to spot a scammer Step 1! hah

No worries Diamond.  Although it was a nice chunk of coin, actually a bit more irritated that I spent the time that I did on it.  Everyone on this board has been quite wonderful so far.  He is quite the exception.  Actually almost just swallowed the loss and moved on, but would be even more upset with myself if I saw another get conned so posted my experience.  Not going to spend too much time on this at this point.  If he tries further deals, he'll have this tied to him, so I'm fine.  He'll get whats coming to him eventually, they always do.  Cheesy

Well, he won't be getting any more trades on that account with -2 trusted rep. But he could make a new one...escrow needs to be more widely used  Undecided

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: