Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:44:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble using CGminer  (Read 746 times)
Alfapiomega (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2017, 07:37:25 AM

Hello everyone,

first of all thank you to anyone who takes their time to help me here.

I have been trying to get more information on crypto and mining and one of the things I wanted to try was to mine for myself. However what seemed easy turned impossible really fast.

Things I use:
(Windows) CGminer 4.10.0 (but same result on 4.0.0)
AMD Sapphire HD 7850 card

Now I tried to setup my CGminer to mine something really easy (like Emerald) to see how well it performs. I found a pool (hash2coin) and they had a very easy setup going. I downloaded CGminer, created an account, a worker and though that is that. But when I start CGminer I get this message:

---
Started CGminer 4.10.0
No devices detected!
Waiting for a USB hotplug devices or press q to quit
Need to specify at least one pool server
Inputer server details

----

When I try to input any details it tells me:

----
URL stratum+tcp://hash-to-coin.com:3333 failed alive testing, reinput details
----

I thought it was an issue of the server but I was directed to checking my graphics card and how to use it as the first message is probably saying it can't work with the card. I did a quick check on the internet and found out people do use the same card (even now) to mine succesfully but nobody encountered that error. There was the same error for another card but it was fixed by downloading the AMD Catalyst Software (which I did) but it did not help. Do I need to setup something else that I missed?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2017, 08:47:33 AM

That's because cgminer is ASIC MINING HARDWARE controlling software and you are trying to mine with a GPU. If you want to mine with a GPU you can only meaningfully mine altcoins and with different software so you're in the wrong place. I will help you and lock this thread for you so you can start again.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: