Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:04:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: STOP making alternative cryptocrapcurrencies  (Read 1812 times)
Praxis
Legendary

Activity: 1118
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 06:53:06 PM

OP, because of this post, no new alt-currencies will be created.
You single-handedly halted the proliferation.
Congratulations!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 06:54:16 PM

I love lamp

lampcoin. Excellent. You could build little physical coins with LEDs in them.
greyhawk

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 06:55:07 PM

OP, because of this post, no new alt-currencies will be created.
You single-handedly halted the proliferation.
Congratulations!

HeroCoin incoming.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 06:56:22 PM

I personally think that we need two currencies. Bitcoin for big transactions such as selling shares and Litecoin for everyday use like buying dinner in a restaurant.
I think that we may need just ONE more coin. Some real-time coin, that could be validated in 10s. For paying in shops, restaurants and vending machines. 2.5min for one confirmation on average is too much.
Or as an alternative a debit card, that would be instant [bank account for BTC], and you just deposit every day/week/month whatever amount you need for a day.
But we don't need another pump&dump non-innovative crap like FTC, CNC or RYC.

The internet cannot really handle 10 second global consensus creation.

(By blockchain system; Ripple is trying to achieve it but using a different consensus method.)

GeistGeld's 15 second blocks are probably about the fastest that could work, and even they might turn out to be too fast.

For "instant" stuff you can simply use "green addresses" in bitcoin, or off-chain transaction systems.

Green addresses actually seem to be a pretty simple and effective solution.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
thesnoo23

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 06:57:25 PM

Sigh. You guys don't get it. You're acting like the governments and the central banks. The POINT of this whole exercise, the purpose for which bitcoins and litecoins and novacoins and feathercoins and chinacoins were CREATED was to PREVENT currency from being controlled by a central, or even a decentralized authority. There IS no governing authority, including all the butthurt BTC holders who rag on every new coin that comes up. You have a lot of BTC? Congratulations.

YOU'RE NOT SPECIAL.

You don't have some special right or authority or wisdom that makes you the arbiter of what crypto currencies should exist and which should not.
Wolf Rainer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1022

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:05:17 PM

Sigh. You guys don't get it. You're acting like the governments and the central banks. The POINT of this whole exercise, the purpose for which bitcoins and litecoins and novacoins and feathercoins and chinacoins were CREATED was to PREVENT currency from being controlled by a central, or even a decentralized authority. There IS no governing authority, including all the butthurt BTC holders who rag on every new coin that comes up. You have a lot of BTC? Congratulations.

YOU'RE NOT SPECIAL.

You don't have some special right or authority or wisdom that makes you the arbiter of what crypto currencies should exist and which should not.

I have not BTC, is common sense. We are killing the BTC, and once that happens we're going to get the crypto currencies in the ass.
greyhawk

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:11:44 PM

YOU'RE NOT SPECIAL.

I have not BTC, is common sense. We are killing the BTC, and once that happens we're going to get the crypto currencies in the ass.

Hmmmm, AssCoins.  Kiss
Teka

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:12:39 PM

YOU'RE NOT SPECIAL.

The problem with having a hundred different coins is that from a "Marketing" perspective its just way to confusing for new users and the mainstream market. One coin for traders and one coin for the mass market is extremely easy to understand.
Hydroponica

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

fml

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:13:43 PM

If you mine it, they will come. Stop dedicating time to mining these garbage coins, and people will stop making them.

glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:18:13 PM

Can someone explain to me how crap coins are NOT taking money from BTC?  I don't understand that.

As an example, some dumb premine scam coin like MNC comes along, boom creates thousands of coins worth say hundreds of BTC when they are traded for BTC in the first week.

BTC is worth actual fiat. Crap coins are there-forth immediately worth actual fiat when they are generated in massive quantities out of thin air on the first day mining (or a pre-mine), and the scammers trade their intrinsically worthless crapcoin for BTC.

How do the crapcoins not leech BTC's fiat currency value in this process?

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
thesnoo23

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:18:49 PM

YOU'RE NOT SPECIAL.

The problem with having a hundred different coins  is that from a Marketing perspective its just way to confusing for new users and the mainstream market.

You don't have to market them all. Market the one(s) you like. These are seperate currencies. It's like US Dollars and Japanese Yen and German Marks and British Pounds etc etc. I don't do ANYTHING with German Marks, and their existence doesn't really affect the ease with which I use US Dollars.

Stop acting like every new coin is some kind of vicious attack on your favorite coin.
mco65

Activity: 48

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2013, 07:19:39 PM

If you mine it, they will come. Stop dedicating time to mining these garbage coins, and people will stop making them.

AH, there's the Rub.
dragony

Activity: 121

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:19:56 PM

I am a fan of altcoins and let be clear here. Altcoins make Bitcoin more valuable. It is totally false to think the opposite. You have to first buy btc to buy some altcoins. If you buy bitcoin to trade it for altoin, it is almost certain you hold bitcoins too. Who would buy altcoins and don't have bitcoins.

And there are other advantages.. new concepts are tested at altcoins so the bitcoin itself could be more healthy. and I think BTC is the only currency which will last. even if many people think some other currency will replace it, i think it won't be replaced  Smiley
greyhawk

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:20:19 PM

YOU'RE NOT SPECIAL.

The problem with having a hundred different coins  is that from a Marketing perspective its just way to confusing for new users and the mainstream market.

You don't have to market them all. Market the one(s) you like. These are seperate currencies. It's like US Dollars and Japanese Yen and German Marks and British Pounds etc etc. I don't do ANYTHING with German Marks, and their existence doesn't really affect the ease with which I use US Dollars.

Stop acting like every new coin is some kind of vicious attack on your favorite coin.

It WOULD be kinda difficult seeing as the Mark doesn't exist anymore.
thesnoo23

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:21:01 PM

BTC is worth actual fiat.

How do the crapcoins not leech BTC's fiat currency value in this process?

Actual Fiat.

Fiat Currency Value.

. . .

Seriously? I don't think you grasp the point of the cryptocurrency exercise.
Teka

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:21:10 PM

YOU'RE NOT SPECIAL.

I'm not saying that other coins shouldn't exist but that we should concentrate on two or three currencies.
Hydroponica

Activity: 182

fml

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:21:34 PM

I am a fan of altcoins and let be clear here. Altcoins make Bitcoin more valuable. It is totally false to think the opposite. You have to first buy btc to buy some altcoins. If you buy bitcoin to trade it for altoin, it is almost certain you hold bitcoins too. Who would buy altcoins and don't have bitcoins.

And there are other advantages.. new concepts are tested at altcoins so the bitcoin itself could be more healthy. and I think BTC is the only currency which will last. even if many people think some other currency will replace it, i think it won't be replaced  Smiley

LTC will last. Has to be a market for GPU mining as well as ASIC mining

Quantum_Negatum

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:22:37 PM

Don't stop making alts until TacoCoin, imho.
thesnoo23

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:24:55 PM

Sigh. You guys don't get it. You're acting like the governments and the central banks. The POINT of this whole exercise, the purpose for which bitcoins and litecoins and novacoins and feathercoins and chinacoins were CREATED was to PREVENT currency from being controlled by a central, or even a decentralized authority.

I'm not saying that other coins shouldn't exist but that we should concentrate on two or three currencies.

Seriously. Say anything you want, you're still not the crypto currency Auditor.
saudibull

Activity: 28

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 07:25:40 PM

Alts. do not affect BTC, they simply dont. Now, everyone focusing their energy on alts. could be used to better promote BTC sure. But its like this, do little league baseball teams and games ruin MLB games and dilute the market ? no, they dont, thats what this is, its just a smaller game for people to keep busy with while BTC is gaining more popularity...
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: