Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:41:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CGMiner Automation in Windows  (Read 1587 times)
brandonkleine (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 13, 2013, 11:01:24 PM

So, I was looking to automate my mining process in Windows, but I was unable to find a good guide on how to do this. I am new to mining, and I have fairly limited computer expertise. After some experimentation, I figured out a simple way to bring up cgminer with the proper settings automatically. This should work for bitcoins, litecoins, or any other that cgminer supports.

So, pre-step 1:
Make sure you have cgminer, catalyst control center, etc. installed properly.

Step 1: Open notepad

Step 2: type this in to notepad, with the appropriate modifications:
cd (your cgminer folder path)
cgminer (your options)

example:
cd C:/Users/Your Username/Downloads/cgminer-3.1.0-windows/
cgminer --scrypt -u yourusername.1 -p yourpassword -o yourminingpool:port -I yourintensity

Step 3: Click File, save as, and on the drop down menu select "All files", and save it as something.bat into whatever folder you want. If you want it to start automatically on startup, save it to your startup folder in the start menu. I saved mine to the desktop for convenience.

Step 4: Double click on your .bat file, a command line should pop up and begin mining.

That is it. It is really that simple.

Note: Any time you want to change any settings, right click on your .bat file and click "edit"

If you find this helpful, I would greatly appreciate any donations you can spare:
Litecoin address: LRAaZ8uyg1eMVhEX2BJg3QQc3zXWe4Hge5
Bitcoin address: 12kSDh3f96A3VUBpQ1eYoMxePVuuQXkkhm

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dasneko

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 12:19:28 AM

Is this not just a copypasta made to exploit donations?
milone

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

CGWatcher & CGRemote

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 12:45:36 AM

http://manotechnology.blogspot.com/p/cgwatcher.html

CGWatcher, a GUI/monitor for CGMiner & BFGMiner: http://www.cgwatcher.com
CGRemote, a remote mining dashboard for all of your miners: http://www.minerremote.com
BTC: 12TAYjmSrdDHLNpmix2MG6y3R868SMM7Fx    LTC: LM6Un6hZvPzLBggJWiAVG6E6w2GfaHukXY
brandonkleine (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 01:06:43 AM

Is this not just a copypasta made to exploit donations?

No, I assume you mean copy paste, and I did not copy it from anywhere. This is just a simple way for new miners to streamline their process in windows without using a gui. If anyone has any other questions, I will try to answer them.

If you find this helpful, I would greatly appreciate any donations you can spare:
Litecoin address: LRAaZ8uyg1eMVhEX2BJg3QQc3zXWe4Hge5
Bitcoin address: 12kSDh3f96A3VUBpQ1eYoMxePVuuQXkkhm
brandonkleine (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 01:08:37 AM

I was trying to help people get started in Windows without a gui, but that gui does look promising.
milone

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

CGWatcher & CGRemote

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 01:28:05 AM

The new Config File Editor in version 1.1.4 may be helpful to beginners, regardless of whether or not they want to use CGWatcher to monitor their miner. The Config File Editor makes it a lot easier to configure the miner, then it can either save it to a config file or convert the configuration to arguments (as well as convert arguments to a config file), so if you are creating a batch file it will be helpful in setting up the arguments. It shows all of the possible options for the miner, and does some validation to make sure the values are correct or in the correct format.

If you create a profile and point to a .bat or .cmd file as the miner path, it will even save the profile's arguments into the .bat or .cmd file for you. It also has buttons to open the .bat or .cmd file in Notepad so if you want to manually edit them, it is much quicker than navigating folders.

I'm admittedly bias, but I can't see an advantage to having not having a GUI and not having the CGWatcher monitor make sure the miner stays running. After you wake up a few mornings to find that the miner stopped working in the middle of the night, you'll see it does a lot more than just provide something pretty to look at. It can also start with Windows, start the miner when it starts, start minimized to the system tray, etc.

CGWatcher, a GUI/monitor for CGMiner & BFGMiner: http://www.cgwatcher.com
CGRemote, a remote mining dashboard for all of your miners: http://www.minerremote.com
BTC: 12TAYjmSrdDHLNpmix2MG6y3R868SMM7Fx    LTC: LM6Un6hZvPzLBggJWiAVG6E6w2GfaHukXY
blueblade123

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 01:32:55 AM

I second CGWatcher. I stumbled upon it and love it. Works real well... Needs some faster updates, but works great.
Quartx

Activity: 1036
Merit: 504

Becoming legend, but I took merit to the knee :(

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 01:49:45 AM

Are you sure you "have not seen a good guide"?

There is a reason for google and the search button, personally I have seen more then 20 posts ++++++ about the same "Guide" you just made.

The contents of your "guide" is just copypasta, its not even close to automation, more like one click starting script, with automation, u dont need to do anything other then power up your computer

You want some sort of real automation? Do this, create a shortcut to the bat file,navigate to startup folder

Code:
C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

or type
Code:
shell:startup
in Run when pressing Windows Button

Copy the shortcut into the folder and when windows run, it will run your bat file and start mining.

brandonkleine (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 01:59:37 AM

Are you sure you "have not seen a good guide"?

There is a reason for google and the search button, personally I have seen more then 20 posts ++++++ about the same "Guide" you just made.

The contents of your "guide" is just copypasta, its not even close to automation, more like one click starting script, with automation, u dont need to do anything other then power up your computer

You want some sort of real automation? Do this, create a shortcut to the bat file,navigate to startup folder

Code:
C:\Users\(User-Name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

or type
Code:
shell:startup
in Run when pressing Windows Button

Copy the shortcut into the folder and when windows run, it will run your bat file and start mining.

I included putting it in the startup menu for full automation. I do not do this because I do not want it to run automatically at this time.When I was trying to figure it out, I could not find this information in an easy to use form. This is what I meant by "have not seen a good guide."This is not copypasta, as I just wrote this based on my own experience from scratch, and it is not copied, in part or in whole, from any other source.
kimocoin

Activity: 16

View Profile
January 09, 2014, 10:01:16 PM
Last edit: January 09, 2014, 10:23:54 PM by kimocoin

This is not just another piece programming.
CGwatcher is the best thing that's happened to me in the past 2 months!!!
I actually just started using CGwatcher, but it looks very promising to me.
When I'm absolutely sure that CGwatcher is doing all the watching for me and I have no downtime on my miner(s), a donation will be made. You can count on that!
I can't post or reply in other threads yet as a newbie, otherwise my praise would be in your thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=185553.280

Many thanks Milone!  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: