Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:21:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 7950 Not showing OC settings, Temp sensors broken? {solved}  (Read 3929 times)
ScottEvil (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:15:14 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2013, 02:43:47 PM by ScottEvil

**Updating with solution**

Yes the solution was a "dummy plug".  Being the 2nd card in a Windows (7) system, the card would still hash but windows didn't recognize the card as being "on and in use" because it didn't have a monitor connected to it.  Had this been a linux system I don't believe that would be necessary.

I went to Radio Shack, picked up a 5 pack of 100 ohmes resistors for like 1.99 and jammed one into a DVI to VGA adapter that comes with most all video cards.  I placed it in the 1 and 6 slots of the female VGA end and rebooted.  Now everything is working as intended.  Check to see if the second monitor is enabled in screen resolution settings.  You may have to duplicate or extend your desktop to make this work.

Also researching more on the MSI afterburner question I had posted below, MSI afterburner will work with most all video cards but only a select few settings will be available to MSI cards only.

**Original Message*

So I'm trying to play with some settings to boost my LTC mining (currently 550Kh/s) but the OC Settings don't seem to work...even the Temp isn't showing.

https://i.imgur.com/F2pxt7v.png

https://i.imgur.com/SAhHiwm.png

Just updated to latest driver 13.4 and that didn't help any.  Thoughts?  Why are the sensors not reading and why don't I have the option to OC some settings?
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ISAWHIM

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 07:17:10 AM

Do you have the videocard drivers installed?

GPUz shows 0MHz... thus, it is not seeing your card as, the card it is.

Windows uses "generic" drivers until you install real drivers. Windows drivers are limited to showing temps, fan speeds and video... not able to alter any "unique" other settings.

You need to install Catalyst Drivers. That tells windows about the "unique" settings it can additionally modify. (Which GPUz can then see, and TRIXX can then see and also alter.)

Afterburner is better. It unlocks everything for you.
ISAWHIM

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 07:20:08 AM

Also, you have to restart after loading the drivers or installing those programs.

Not sure if you did that, or not... (Many people do not. They just expect installed software to work, without realizing that windows has to "activate" the underlying software before it functions correctly.)
ScottEvil (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 03:33:03 PM

Yes all the drivers are up to date (13.4) and reboots have happened.

I suppose I left out something that could be important but I didn't want to complicate things if the fix was easy... apparently I've done all the easy fixes already.

This video card is in a computer with a nvidia card as the primary.  I'm now starting to wonder if Trixx isn't picking up on the sensors as a conflict with the other card...All the stats in the one screen show the card though...which is why I didn't mention it...the tools seem to be looking at the correct card.  Its it perhaps because this card isn't in the default "video card" slot on the MB?  Does that hinder the reporting on some sensors if its in a secondary slot?  The Nvidia card is reporting temps fine.

Newb question: Also its a Sapphire card...can you use MSI's Afterburner on cards that aren't MSI?
sokol815

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 04:40:51 PM

if you don't have any monitors plugged into that card, windows is apt to shut it down. I've heard of people getting around that, but I wasn't able to myself. I simply went with the simple solution of buying a pack of 5 68 ohm resistors for about a buck, and then just take one of those resistors and do this:

http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=11

works fine for me... just move the "monitor" it then thinks it is running out of the way so your mouse doesn't keep going inside of it. Or you could put it in a fun place so it is a bridge between your two monitors (e.g. put it so only the very top is running between the two monitors, so to get to the 2nd real screen, you have to move the mouse to the top of either screen then cross over)

If anyone has a good guide on making Windows 7 work with all cards at the same time (especially when 1 is an NVidia and the other is a Radeon) I would be very interested to learn about it.

BTC: 1DGoGCg93igczMttDQn5SAE9x6zn4KZ8bv
LTC: LiP6Pskxa5tdDAhdwYeqszRFBMQev2ndBr
FTC: 6efcHwHYG3rk8SP37odyCrKqdxWom8rsen
ScottEvil (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 04:51:28 PM

that must be what's happening...windows not detecting a live monitor.  although the card is currently working/hashing.  maybe its because its not putting out video that is why windows is now reading the card as active? 

Will plugging in a unconnected monitor cable work you think?  I'm a bit leery (although I believe you) of jamming in a resistor into a interface like that.

And yeah these are two different type cards on a windows 7 box so the moment I get everything fired up and running I'll be sure to post of my success.
sokol815

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 05:23:02 PM

an unconnected monitor cable won't do you much good, as it doesn't complete any circuits... there are people who just took adapters between DVI and VGA and solder resistors into them.... that is a ton more work and slightly more expensive, though. The amount of power running through said little resistor is not enough to cause any damage to your GPU. Someone even claimed putting a paperclip in instead of a resistor works, but I don't think that is a good idea.

See this thread for further discussion:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=11595.0;all

BTC: 1DGoGCg93igczMttDQn5SAE9x6zn4KZ8bv
LTC: LiP6Pskxa5tdDAhdwYeqszRFBMQev2ndBr
FTC: 6efcHwHYG3rk8SP37odyCrKqdxWom8rsen
phrozenspite

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 01:23:50 PM

that is almost definitely the issue, make a dummy plug or run a cable to a 2nd monitor input or a tv or something

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: