Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 02:11:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC-e.com down ! Police detains the owner .  (Read 21884 times)
Hydrogen
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 01:34:04 PM

I don't think this is the first case of Money Laundering, just the biggest so far. Think back to Charlie Shrem & Btc King, Coin.MX, The poor dudes in Florida that were just exchangers on LocalBitcoins but without a liscense, etc.

I just think they are starting to crack down on the more blatant services that fascilitate easy no-id transactions that most definitely attract the wrong crowd.

Just wait until they start going after the gambling scene, you can call all of the profits made off of US customers "illegal" & anyone whom deals with these funds are by nature "Money Laundering".

To some bitcoin has a reputation for being a safe haven for money launderers, terrorists and drug cartels. Looking at the number of criminal cases, one might say, there isn't much evidence of it though.

Wasn't Ross Ulbricht charged with money laundering? This is just the first time that a large bitcoin exchange has been targeted for it. I sympathize less with funds on darknet markets getting seized, since users should know that this is always a risk. But on a long-running public bitcoin exchange? A lot of legitimate traders and miners will be devastated by this. I always thought of 3rd party exchange risk as risk of hacking or exit scam. The FBI targeting legitimate exchanges brings all new risks to trading crypto...

Ross Ulbricht's biggest charges might have been conspiracy to commit murder. Silk road users threatened Ulbricht. Other silk road users suspiciously offered to murder the people who threatened Ulbricht. The murder never happened. Probably because both the threat and the offer were made by undercover agents.

And don't forget about Burt Wagner in CO. They even took his daughter's U$600 kept in a piggy bank which was returned to her via funds raised from this community.

Reminds me of this little statistic.

I'm sure no one cares though.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 02:04:34 PM
Last edit: August 05, 2017, 02:29:16 PM by Gleb Gamow

I don't think this is the first case of Money Laundering, just the biggest so far. Think back to Charlie Shrem & Btc King, Coin.MX, The poor dudes in Florida that were just exchangers on LocalBitcoins but without a liscense, etc.

I just think they are starting to crack down on the more blatant services that fascilitate easy no-id transactions that most definitely attract the wrong crowd.

Just wait until they start going after the gambling scene, you can call all of the profits made off of US customers "illegal" & anyone whom deals with these funds are by nature "Money Laundering".

To some bitcoin has a reputation for being a safe haven for money launderers, terrorists and drug cartels. Looking at the number of criminal cases, one might say, there isn't much evidence of it though.

Wasn't Ross Ulbricht charged with money laundering? This is just the first time that a large bitcoin exchange has been targeted for it. I sympathize less with funds on darknet markets getting seized, since users should know that this is always a risk. But on a long-running public bitcoin exchange? A lot of legitimate traders and miners will be devastated by this. I always thought of 3rd party exchange risk as risk of hacking or exit scam. The FBI targeting legitimate exchanges brings all new risks to trading crypto...

Ross Ulbricht's biggest charges might have been conspiracy to commit murder. Silk road users threatened Ulbricht. Other silk road users suspiciously offered to murder the people who threatened Ulbricht. The murder never happened. Probably because both the threat and the offer were made by undercover agents.

And don't forget about Burt Wagner in CO. They even took his daughter's U$600 kept in a piggy bank which was returned to her via funds raised from this community.

I care. Trump needs to declare a War on Burglaries.

Poor Curtis Green. First, the FBI faked his death, then I came along and put in a nail in his coffin, causing FOX to cease production of Curtis' bio and connection to SR ... <read the relatively short thread - it's a classic>

As an African American, I find your rap text very insulting. I really hate the use of the word "nigga" and any form of it. It's stuff like this that gives African Americans a bad name. I hate when I hear people call each other a nigger. If a white man said it to a black man, those would be fightin' words..

I just don't get why people think its okay to use is when they want to. Its best to not even say the "n" word at all.

FOX Studio: It's goin' be an epic production now that we have ALL the facts directly from that Curtis Green dude.
Bruno: You mean that bathtub manufacturer African-American-Mormon dude who admitted to fucking his Mormon wife's daughter on BitcoinTalk?
FOX Studio: Exactly... Wait, WHAT?!

As for asset forfeiture, read this sad story -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=934268.msg12313810#msg12313810

Back to me caring: Here's the thread started by my direction so to crowdfund the return of Burt's daughter's U$600 -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=985596.0

marky89

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 07:04:56 PM

Hopefully BTC-E like many company are storing bitcoin in cold wallet out of datacenter server... i'm assuming FBI seized datacenter of website, they definetly seized the hot wallet... but there is hope btc-e have backup out of datacenter...

I hope they have backup... if so there is hope for bitcoin to be refunded, or website be backup... if they truely didnt arrest real owner...

I hope that most of the funds were in the cold storage, and at least 50% of what is owned to the users could be returned to them (I myself lost around $300). But are you sure that they are still in the possession of the user data? I heard that the FBI seized that as well.

Judging by the 66k BTC wallets that were moved, and the tagged BTC-e ETH wallet, I'm guessing most of the funds were indeed in cold storage. What we don't know is how much exposure they have to frozen fiat funds (they announced that Mayzus froze their accounts). And even if they still have access to most of their fiat funds (if they were well-hidden through various shell companies in less-US-friendly regions), they would have a very hard time moving any of that to customers. So, even if refunds happen, who knows how it would work?

They are definitely in possession of user data. They confirmed that they have access to their databases and wallets. The FBI did seize servers that contained those, but the exchange kept back-ups, and the wallets should have been encrypted.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 07:54:02 PM

Hopefully BTC-E like many company are storing bitcoin in cold wallet out of datacenter server... i'm assuming FBI seized datacenter of website, they definetly seized the hot wallet... but there is hope btc-e have backup out of datacenter...

I hope they have backup... if so there is hope for bitcoin to be refunded, or website be backup... if they truely didnt arrest real owner...

I hope that most of the funds were in the cold storage, and at least 50% of what is owned to the users could be returned to them (I myself lost around $300). But are you sure that they are still in the possession of the user data? I heard that the FBI seized that as well.

Judging by the 66k BTC wallets that were moved, and the tagged BTC-e ETH wallet, I'm guessing most of the funds were indeed in cold storage. What we don't know is how much exposure they have to frozen fiat funds (they announced that Mayzus froze their accounts). And even if they still have access to most of their fiat funds (if they were well-hidden through various shell companies in less-US-friendly regions), they would have a very hard time moving any of that to customers. So, even if refunds happen, who knows how it would work?

They are definitely in possession of user data. They confirmed that they have access to their databases and wallets. The FBI did seize servers that contained those, but the exchange kept back-ups, and the wallets should have been encrypted.

Meanwhile, the FBI is scouring the servers they confiscated, connecting the dots between all the rogue nefarious actors in the crypto space:

BitWhale

Activity: 279
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 10:44:52 PM

Meanwhile, the FBI is scouring the servers they confiscated, connecting the dots between all the rogue nefarious actors in the crypto space:

And quietly waiting for all of you to come make a "claim" for your "money". Whether you are legitimate or not, welcome to the list.

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the last 5+ years of bad bitcoin behavior is now out in the open gentlemen. The cat is officially out of the bag.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 02:45:52 AM

And quietly waiting for all of you to come make a "claim" for your "money". Whether you are legitimate or not, welcome to the list.

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the last 5+ years of bad bitcoin behavior is now out in the open gentlemen. The cat is officially out of the bag.

Here's to the next five years of bad bitcoin behavior. First meatup will be at The Legends Room in Las Vegas, where its principals are giving Leroy "Honestly" Fodor a run for his money RateCoin in who's crypto's number one serial liar:

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/legends-room-exposes-digital-currency-to-new-audience-q-a-with-stephan-bonnar/

You have shot some great promo videos for LGD. Do you have a favorite Legends girl?

Keep in mind I haven’t met everyone yet,  but that Kenna is very talented. I see great potential in her. I love Kat Dior too

https://twitter.com/LegendsRoom/status/883433325422985216

The Legends Room: Where a photoshoot ≠ meeting somebody.

Speaking of Kenna James, two actors can't have the exact same name regardless which segment of the industry they practice the art: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenna_James
Osarman

Activity: 952
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 07:12:55 AM

BTC-e back again, I just saw their announcement on local russian forum (just can't read what is it meaning)
BTC-e is back again great to hear because it is not a new thing that it is back again because it is decentralized crypto currency which cannot be control and no one knows the real person who has created a days or weeks ago there were some fake rumors that btc-e person got arrested which was totally fake so I would welcome to BTC-e once again.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 03:25:27 PM

BTC-e back again, I just saw their announcement on local russian forum (just can't read what is it meaning)
BTC-e is back again great to hear because it is not a new thing that it is back again because it is decentralized crypto currency which cannot be control and no one knows the real person who has created a days or weeks ago there were some fake rumors that btc-e person got arrested which was totally fake so I would welcome to BTC-e once again.

I, too, heard some fake rumors about the Earth being a globe. Hey, could it have been the same dude spreading fake rumors? I have an ex-girlfriend who goes around and spreads fake rumors that I'm a terrible lover. I now wonder if it's her.
bitcoinvestor

Activity: 812
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 04:16:12 PM

i don't get it!
this has NOTHING to do with btc-e!!!

someone arrested some criminal in some unrelated country (Russia) and you say it is btc-e owner related.

BTC-E is not even a Russian exchange Shocked
Yes, I don't have any relation with BTC-e. If the comment that the arrest of the cryminal will dump the bicoin price, is just unclear respons. There will be no problem with bitcoin price. In fact the price is pump to 3200 now. That high price since the AUg 1. The issue of the caugt crypto criminal will not effect to bitcoin price. The cruminal is nothing to a big community . Satoshis.
hitlab

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 05:09:10 PM

Poor Curtis Green. First, the FBI faked his death, then I came along and put in a nail in his coffin, causing FOX to cease production of Curtis' bio and connection to SR ... <read the relatively short thread - it's a classic>

As an African American, I find your rap text very insulting. I really hate the use of the word "nigga" and any form of it. It's stuff like this that gives African Americans a bad name. I hate when I hear people call each other a nigger. If a white man said it to a black man, those would be fightin' words..

I just don't get why people think its okay to use is when they want to. Its best to not even say the "n" word at all.

FOX Studio: It's goin' be an epic production now that we have ALL the facts directly from that Curtis Green dude.
Bruno: You mean that bathtub manufacturer African-American-Mormon dude who admitted to fucking his Mormon wife's daughter on BitcoinTalk?

As for asset forfeiture, read this sad story -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=934268.msg12313810#msg12313810

Back to me caring: Here's the thread started by my direction so to crowdfund the return of Burt's daughter's U$600 -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=985596.0

This is such a sad statistic of asset forfeiture. I had a read of BurtW's story in that link, such a terrible thing to happen.

I am also going through a eerily similar situation as Burt. Ironically I am actually fully licenced, yet law enforcement still managed to make up some trumped up charges for forfeiture on my currency exchange business. Charges were dismissed at the end of last year, yet fighting for forfeiture continues. Almost 200k wasted on defending trumped up charges in my case.

It is sick how the legal system is used these days as a way to extort money from law abiding citizens. I live in Australia by the way, so it is sad to discover this kind of thing happens every where in the world.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 05:34:44 PM

This is such a sad statistic of asset forfeiture. I had a read of BurtW's story in that link, such a terrible thing to happen.

I am also going through a eerily similar situation as Burt. Ironically I am actually fully licenced, yet law enforcement still managed to make up some trumped up charges for forfeiture on my currency exchange business. Charges were dismissed at the end of last year, yet fighting for forfeiture continues. Almost 200k wasted on defending trumped up charges in my case.

It is sick how the legal system is used these days as a way to extort money from law abiding citizens. I live in Australia by the way, so it is sad to discover this kind of thing happens every where in the world.

Your Username: hitlab
Position to Apply: newbie
Your Current Post Count: 17
Your BTC Address: 1B128FYNeA4kC9zo5fSGm5xgxxDpzhkf87

FWIW, at least you're in the process of recouping some of that 200K wasted in defending yourself against trumped up charges via participating in one of BCT's sig campaigns earning your a wooping $5.76 per week provided you post 40 times a week.

Question: Do you know Leroy Fodor? He's easy to spot because he's every where.
volyova
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 03:43:57 AM

Hold on to your soul, we got a long way to go
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 04:03:55 AM

Hold on to your soul, we got a long way to go

"The hell you say!"
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2017, 04:07:43 AM

For BTC-e not being a Russian exchange (I read that somewhere), this thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2063529.0 - sure the hell has a lot of activity, namely currently 51 pages, 1,017 posts and read 113,493.

Conclusion: BTC-e wasn't a Russian exchange, but Russians love to swarm a thread when they become gregarious as their fecundity decreases.
krishnapramod
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1078

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 11:42:06 AM

BTC-E posted update 5 on the Russian local thread.

1. They have managed to gain control over 55% of the funds, rest of the 45% of funds were seized, mostly fiat.

2. Everyone will get 55% of their funds.

4. Rest of the 45% would be paid in BTE tokens (ICO).

3. Funds in fiat would be paid in BTE tokens which could be exchanged later.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2075551.0
Micky25
Legendary

Activity: 974
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 11:46:23 AM

Maheshkumar_Hrangkhawl

Activity: 600
Merit: 256

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 01:03:06 PM

1. They have managed to gain control over 55% of the funds, rest of the 45% of funds were seized, mostly fiat.

Wow! Is this real?

If they keep their word, then this is going to be wonderful news. So effectively, the users don't lose anything. They will get a 55% refund immediately, and the remaining 45% will be paid later.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 01:41:54 PM

Wow! Is this real?

If they keep their word, then this is going to be wonderful news. So effectively, the users don't lose anything. They will get a 55% refund immediately, and the remaining 45% will be paid later.

Sure it's real! It happens every day in real life - a brand's main chief is arrested with the brand controlled by the feds, forcing the brand's unknown subordinates residing in Eastern Europe to return all the pseudo-anonymous cryptos still on account, thus allowing the anonymous dudes to garner cred. What part of all that don't you understand?
Prem.Soorajpaul

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

0xB911101025014BfCaA3B17BC7683C0817489bB28

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 01:59:24 PM

I had a few ETH coins in my BTC-e account. So I hope I will get at least 50% of that back. But how much time it is going to take? I heard that their user data was also stolen by the FBI. If they don't have the user data with them, how they are going to credit their users?

blade87

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 09, 2017, 02:01:41 PM

The whole splitting up the coin funds into 7 coins confusing. I only had BTC sitting on there, so why can't I just get back 55% of that BTC? Why does it need to be split up into all of the coins? I don't have wallets for 7 coins. I have a feeling due to all the price differences that have happened since then, I won't be seeing anywhere near 55% value back.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: