Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:01:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox account in the USA has been seized by the DHS?  (Read 25844 times)
CompNsci

Activity: 332
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:46:34 AM

One maxim to keep in mind - never assume malice when incompetence will suffice as an explanation.

If Mt. Gox has been responding to inquiries from DHS like apparently deal with the business partners and customers, it could be the DHS decided they just need to grab the account and get this straightened out.
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
503guy

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:50:27 AM

I have funds that are "stuck", sent money from Mt. Gox to Dwolla this afternoon.  Balance is gone from Mt. Gox but obviously isn't in Dwolla -- hopefully Mt. Gox credits my account back the withdrawal that never happened.

kendog77

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 12:53:25 AM

Bye bye Mt Gox and Dwolla, hello Coinbase!

BTW, is Coinbase any good?  Smiley
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 12:56:20 AM

Next person to talk to dwolla, ask them for a case number. It should be listed on the top of the seizure warrant. If for some reason they can't/won't provide that, try to get the name of the certifying judge that signed it.

I'd call them myself but I'm not a dwolla customer.

I can find nothing showing in pacer on the docket for this.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 12:59:15 AM

Look I don't know what to say  Undecided

I have had coworkers going for Mtgox because "they are the largest"  Roll Eyes

When I saw their statement about putting customers through AML hell, when they access their website via a proxy, that is all I needed to know.

Then to make things worse, people use extra intermediaries, for a PEER TO PEER bitcoin!?! Dwolla, Paypal, and whatnot?

If only 10% of Mtgox customers would trade on localbitcoins, this would not have happened. At the moment Gox is 80% and spreads on localbitcoins are awful, but that can change.

Sure exchanges are comfortable but they are completely unnecessary; all that is required is real people with bank accounts and BTC wallets.

any money service business licenses???  That I cannot afford...

unless of course you're just assuming all the people selling bitcoins in the US are ok with breaking the law... which may be accurate, but not for me.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
svenp

Activity: 122

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:01:50 AM

Next person to talk to dwolla, ask them for a case number. It should be listed on the top of the seizure warrant. If for some reason they can't/won't provide that, try to get the name of the certifying judge that signed it.

Well, what sort of DHS action would not show a public record in PACER?  Hmmm?
kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 01:02:37 AM

What the heck is Dwolla? For retards that cannot fill in a wire transfer form?
Retards are those who don't want to pay expensive wire transfer fees?

Just find a bank that is cheaper, and transfer larger amounts - the fee is normally the same for $10 or $500.

BTC is like a foreign currency; and you would not buy $10 worth of Euros or whatever from a bank, would you?

I would buy $10 worth of Euros... I don't have to buy massive quantities.  My bank charges a percentage which is built into the exchange rate and is very small.

you must be new here, cuz this is the second post I've found where you sound misguided... do some homework...

Fold for spending BTCs

kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 01:03:15 AM

Sorry, don't know... care to clarify?  Or do you not know?

Fold for spending BTCs

alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:16:11 AM

This kind of shit is the reason we need bitcoin, can't wait until we are not reliant on banks..

Well, strictly speaking we're not reliant on banks. You only make yourself reliant on banks if you insist on trading back and forth into fiat.

If people just stayed in bitcoin world once they accrued their coins, there wouldn't be any problem. Now that you can buy stuff using bitpay and gyff, is there any real need to switch into dollars or any other currency at all? This only affects the speculators and currency traders  - they just can't resist going back into their old world...

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:29:41 AM

Just got of the phone with Dwolla - no hoax people.  Call them yourselves.  I asked about a warrant number or court order number and the rep. told me she didn't have any of that info.  But she did say that Dwolla has been asked to not do business with Mt.Gox and for the moment they are complying.

What would be too funny was if Dwolla got scared shitless (not double checking with DHS) by some suits serving the order, and it all turns out to be a hoax.
Herodes

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:36:02 AM

I'm predicting that the official word will be that this is to stop terrorists.  That's the catchphrase everyone uses now to rally support.  Heck, even Syria's Assad calls his rebels terrorists for the same purpose.

Call me an aluminium hat wearing cray cray individual but just wait until a terrorist attack or kidnapping happens and they surprisingly find out a tie to BTC... Israel has already claimed that Bitcoin is related to terrorism and painted it in propoganda, guess some countries are getting a head start  Grin Business: Virtual terror finance

Yes - and terrorism never happened before Bitcoin..
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:49:02 AM

Bye bye Mt Gox and Dwolla, hello Coinbase!

BTW, is Coinbase any good?  Smiley

I haven't had any issues with them.  The only thing is it takes a long time to get your coins.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
rm187

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 01:49:37 AM

I have funds that are "stuck", sent money from Mt. Gox to Dwolla this afternoon.  Balance is gone from Mt. Gox but obviously isn't in Dwolla -- hopefully Mt. Gox credits my account back the withdrawal that never happened.

Same, I have a few hundred in limbo. Really wish they would just credit my account back. They have to take the hit no matter what happens to my funds in limbo, so just give me my $$ back.

1x5AFgSYTzXZ9eKJTKUfr7tiSuGyBE7Yd
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:15:06 AM

I have funds that are "stuck", sent money from Mt. Gox to Dwolla this afternoon.  Balance is gone from Mt. Gox but obviously isn't in Dwolla -- hopefully Mt. Gox credits my account back the withdrawal that never happened.

Same, I have a few hundred in limbo. Really wish they would just credit my account back. They have to take the hit no matter what happens to my funds in limbo, so just give me my $$ back.

I have a feeling that you can probably kiss that money good-bye ... goes for anybody with anything in Dwolla Mutum Sigilium account transiting to/from Mt. Gox.

Seizure warrants are to seize the alleged proceeds of crime before the "criminals" can have a chance to state their case in court. A sealed warrant and etc means they are going to go full "anti-terrorist" mode and do everything behind closed doors, secret courts, etc .... basically the money is gone, locked up in secret legal battles to infinity, which suits the Feds just fine.

Did you think all the Libertarians were idiotic tinfoil-hatters crying wolf about the big bad out of control govt.? Just watch.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 02:15:30 AM

If people just stayed in bitcoin world once they accrued their coins, there wouldn't be any problem. Now that you can buy stuff using bitpay and gyff, is there any real need to switch into dollars or any other currency at all? This only affects the speculators and currency traders  - they just can't resist going back into their old world...

You... uh... do realize that the ONLY reason BitPay and Gyft work is because they can convert bitcoins into fiat, right?
Or are you just trolling?
gmannn

Activity: 148

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:22:45 AM

Is a seizure warrant difficult to forge? 
Herodes

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:25:28 AM

Is a seizure warrant difficult to forge? 

I would think not - but anyone worth their salt, would check the ID's of the officer(s) servicing it, plus call DHS to confirm, and ofcourse have the approval of all board members (or some such) before it goes into effect.
visionary

Activity: 966
Merit: 587

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:29:40 AM

bad news
TsuyokuNaritai

Activity: 574

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:35:54 AM

It's not fake, DHS has confirmed:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57584511-38/homeland-security-cuts-off-dwolla-bitcoin-transfers/

They may just be going after internet gambling rather than trying to kill bitcoin...

http://calvinayre.com/2013/05/15/business/homeland-security-seize-bitcoin-linked-payment-processor-funds/

Herodes

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 02:54:06 AM

Do you learn to make that kind of face while on the job, or is it one of the requirements for getting hired to such a position. I've tried to make this face in front of the mirror several times now, but every time I try, I burst out in laughter, perhaps I'm simply not cut out to be holding any high ranking important position!  Grin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: