Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:28:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] BitPay Hires Bitcoin Core-Developer Jeff Garzik  (Read 6631 times)
solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 05:50:44 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2013, 06:01:39 AM by solex

BitPay cannot grow to 100x our size now without bitcoin being able to grow and scale with us.  Jeff is a great developer and can help work on the scaleability issues that bitcoin needs to meet the demands.
I would consider this to be very encouraging news, if it wasn't for relatively recent comments made by Jeff that indicated a certain hostility on his part to implementing the necessary scaling improvements in Bitcoin.

I was going to mention that too, but in due course, when Jeff had at least got his feet under his new desk!
My last reading of his comments was that he's against infinite blocks, which might be interpreted as flexibility on a larger fixed limit...

"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
oakpacific

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 05:54:46 AM

Wait, Jeff needs a job? Isn't his Avalon enough to allow him to retire? Grin

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 06:00:22 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2013, 06:43:14 AM by John Smith

It can certainly represent a conflict of interest. But it's no problem, I've long realized Bitcoin won't change anything fundamentally. Even in a success scenario, the block chain would be limited with extraorbitant fees for transactions, making it only possible for crypto fat cats to make use of Bitcoin's actual properties. The plebs would again be exposed to centralization and "banks", necessarily. Trust is not removed, only shifted.
A conflict of interest? So, do you think it's better for the devs to be employed by non-bitcoin companies, as most of them are? It looks to me as that's more of a conflict of interest than helping improve Bitcoin at a Bitcoin company.

If Bitpay would start making unreasonable demands he can always quit, it's not like kernel developers have problems finding a job.

Hey, even though the devs do have the greater good in mind, they have to eat and feed their families and pets.

Many people in this community are screaming a lot, but not paying anything for bitcoin development or support. Did you expect a virtual currency to bring a whole new world of altruism?

Wait, Jeff needs a job? Isn't his Avalon enough to allow him to retire? Grin
Retiring is boring Tongue It's not that he was forced to do this, I suppose he just wants to be more active with Bitcoin development and found someone that's willing to pay for it and invest in the infrastructure in this way. That's great news for Bitcoin Smiley

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Anenome5

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 07:44:40 AM

Jeff Garzik is a legend ^_^ Congrats.

Democracy is the original 51% attack.
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 09:44:27 AM

Finally a smart bitcoin company...

I would've thought it'd be obvious that any worthwhile startup needs a core dev onboard...

Well, they have also money as bitpay has been quite a business success. When/if localbitcoins.com gains enough traction/income, we will be doing the same Smiley

faisalp

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 10:44:10 AM

i'm a large bitpay customer and I have everything to gain from the platform getting better...

however this isn't a good state of affairs for bitcoin as a whole

I look forward to some public debate on this at the conference...
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: