Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:28:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dwolla can no longer process deposits or withdrawals to MtGox  (Read 13010 times)
italeffect

Activity: 255
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:47:03 PM

http://betabeat.com/2013/05/department-of-homeland-security-shuts-down-dwolla-payments-to-and-from-mt-gox/

looks legit

what a bummer, I used this a lot.

Dash: Xdopotr3eAHpsSCMkUyU2YWP3WQWb5X3t8

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wildbud

Activity: 280

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:47:54 PM

This will be VERY interesting to see if they begin trying to attack bitcoins using the DHS.
melvster

Activity: 350

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:48:45 PM

bad for the US

bad for gox

bad for dwolla

great for the rest of the world

great for bitcoin
Newscastix

Activity: 349

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:49:14 PM

This will be VERY interesting to see if they begin trying to attack bitcoins using the DHS.

They have just begun...
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:51:25 PM

I am actually uncomfortable with the way Dwolla is handling this. Why are they telling anybody who asks that the MtGox account has been frozen by court order? Isn't there some sort of client confidentiality? This seems to be just making MtGox look bad.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
melvster

Activity: 350

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:51:59 PM

I am actually uncomfortable with the way Dwolla is handling this. Why are they telling anybody who asks that the MtGox account has been frozen by court order? Isn't there some sort of client confidentiality? This seems to be just making MtGox look bad.

+1
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 08:55:30 PM

Because that's part of their TOS.  From the article:

"Dwolla requires a court order before honoring requests such as seizing funds or revoking access to an account,” he added.

They wouldn't have done it if they didn't receive a court order so either they tell you or you use common sense to put two and two together.  I don't see any breach of confidentiality.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
dbru77

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:02:27 PM

I thought it should have won best picture. Argo was great, but ZDT had more gravity.

I agree. Both movies are very compelling. ZDT felt almost like a documentary while Argo has more "story-telling" elements.  
mccorvic

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:02:34 PM

So, this pretty much puts Dwolla out of business, right?  Why would anyone use Dwolla as anything but a conduit to Gox?

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
wildbud

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:03:42 PM

They have just begun...

We don't know the details I will hold my judgement on saying they have begun when we start seeing a trend. They are not attacking bitcoins they are just attacking the relationship between dwolla and mtgox. But I dont think we are far off from seeing them attacking everything crypto currency.
deltanine

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:04:33 PM

So, this pretty much puts Dwolla out of business, right?  Why would anyone use Dwolla as anything but a conduit to Gox?

Maybe Dwolla as a conduit to CampBX?

Freedom is a state of mind, and then Bitcoin comes along.....
-S4VV4S
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:06:04 PM

Does Dwolla work for large amounts of money? I would think that international wires are the most important.
Depends on your definition of "large".  Maximum single transaction size is $5000 by default, but they say they can process up to $99MM transactions.  I'm sure MtGox has received millions through their Dwolla account over the past couple of years, but I really have no idea how much per month is going in or out. 

My guess is that DHS has claimed it's an AML issue because 'errorism.

Might be an AML issue. Thats what coinbase was supposed to have taken care of. ooopss!

Maybe MtGox couldn't legally follow through with the customer transfer because they knew about the DHS issue, but were prohibited from telling Coinbase?  Stranger things have happened in the American legal system.

Hmm, looks like some people are selling - did I break the news that caused a mini-selloff?  Bitcoin has survived all the SEPA withdrawal problems, and it will survive Dwolla cutoff, too.

Coinbase != Coinlab

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
myself
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:13:26 PM

Update: Here is what Mt. Gox sent us in response to a request for comment:

Thank you for the email. We can see that the Dwolla transactions are not getting processed right now. We will contact Dwolla and post an announcement regarding this. Your patience is appreciated till then.
http://betabeat.com/2013/05/department-of-homeland-security-shuts-down-dwolla-payments-to-and-from-mt-gox/

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
old_engineer (OP)

Activity: 387

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:13:56 PM

Maybe MtGox couldn't legally follow through with the customer transfer because they knew about the DHS issue, but were prohibited from telling Coinbase?  Stranger things have happened in the American legal system.

Coinbase != Coinlab
Thanks, updated my post.  Everything is bit-this and coin-that...
wildbud

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:14:54 PM

Thank you for the email. We can see that the Dwolla transactions are not getting processed right now. We will contact Dwolla and post an announcement regarding this. Your patience is appreciated till then.

So they didn't even get notified and have no plan to deal with the issue. That is not a good sign.
italeffect

Activity: 255

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:18:43 PM

wonder if CampBX <> Dwolla will be/is closed also.

Dash: Xdopotr3eAHpsSCMkUyU2YWP3WQWb5X3t8
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:24:56 PM

wonder if CampBX <> Dwolla will be/is closed also.

Doubt it, this is about Gox, not Dwolla IMO.
dandirk

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:25:54 PM

So they didn't even get notified and have no plan to deal with the issue. That is not a good sign.

You never know with the US government... I know IRS agents will call a business and basically act like a scammer sales/creditor... not say who they are (initially), demand information for the heads of a company, offer NO way for the business to confirm (like we are all told to do when getting cold called for sensitive information, ask for contact info confirm via webpage etc then call back).

They will then just show up at your business and practically shut the place down and say the reason for it was that you were not being cooperative when called nicely.

wildbud

View Profile
May 14, 2013, 09:29:37 PM

You never know with the US government... I know IRS agents will call a business and basically act like a scammer sales/creditor... not say who they are (initially), demand information for the heads of a company, offer NO way for the business to confirm (like we are all told to do when getting cold called for sensitive information, ask for contact info confirm via webpage etc then call back).

They will then just show up at your business and practically shut the place down and say the reason for it was that you were not being cooperative when called nicely.

Yea the IRS has a bad track record with anti-government control groups.
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2013, 09:35:23 PM

Wow. Sounds like they didn't have any clue that their account got seized.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: