Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:00:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A spam attack can easily destroy the new Viabtc BCH chain  (Read 1316 times)
iram1011

Activity: 896
Merit: 521

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 03:03:00 AM

BCH chain will have a small hash rate? I thought the powers of Jihan Wu and some of the other Chinese miners are riding under his banner in support of the fork?
But it will be way lower than what BTC segwit will have after the split. BTC supporters can easily attack this minor chain and like OP have speculated BCC might struggle to survive from spam attacks.

Why would the Bitcoin supporters attack the BCH chain if it is better for them to leave it alone and hold or sell their free BCH coins? I believe this is where game theory applies. What is more profitable for you and the everyone else, to spam and attack BCH or leave it be and let them develop on their own?
The thing is there are many people who are wary of BCH. Within some days the price might go to cents. So it would be possible that someone tries to spam the chain out of fun or out of hatered.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iamTom123

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 03:18:45 AM

Shhh... I thought about this, and how funny it would be if someone spammed their chain to fill the 8 MB blocks just to show the futility of a big-block based scaling solution.

I don't expect BCH to survive very long one way or another. Between poor, rushed coding, vulnerability to mining reorgs by a hostile miner, spam attacks, relentless dumping from BTC supporters, risk of replay attacks if not handled well, and risk of malware splitting tools it's just a question of what will do it in first.

Ok...we will just be silent about this since I would also have my share of BitcoinCash (BCH) soon in Bittrex if things would happen the way they planned it to be. Having said that, I am sure that BCH will have some problems soon that just like Bitcoin it would be subject to some challenges and for it to really survive people behind BCH have to prepare for the coming road ahead...it would be a long and winding road for them.

Still, I wish the people manning BCH all the luck and vigor they need to keep the new altcoin afloat and make it another successful one in the roster of Litecoin, Ethereum, ETC, Monera and others in the top 10 cryptocurrency market. I am happy now that it has been show that all of these drama, accusations, counter-accusations, lies, half-lies, half-truths and everything in between never affected Bitcoin that much...as it is now standing tall and proud.

MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 03:55:34 AM

BCH chain will have a small hash rate? I thought the powers of Jihan Wu and some of the other Chinese miners are riding under his banner in support of the fork?

Miners have largely kept their options open regarding explicit plans to mine the Bitcoin Cash chain. Naturally, it makes sense for miners to watch market reaction on the exchanges before taking the risk of pointing much hash power at BCC. Given all of Jihan Wu's past rhetoric, though, I imagine Bitmain will allocate some portion of its hash power to BCC. This could potentially create a feedback loop which supports the BCC price and causes other miners to defect.

I certainly don't see BCC overtaking BTC, but I'm not as confident as most people are that it will be worthless and irrelevant. If nothing else, as the OP points out, it will be nice to see the potential flaws of big blocks and dynamic block size front and center.
fisheater

Activity: 770
Merit: 605

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 03:57:41 AM

That same strategy can probably destroy all the altcoins, as none has the same hashpower as bitcoin.
Priceslide

Activity: 220
Merit: 102

Hello

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2017, 02:02:51 AM

That same strategy can probably destroy all the altcoins, as none has the same hashpower as bitcoin.

Uhh.. no.. that's why the other altcoins use different mining/staking algorithms than BTC.

reddit.com/r/kinfoundation
winterland

Activity: 434
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 04:24:03 AM

Shhh... I thought about this, and how funny it would be if someone spammed their chain to fill the 8 MB blocks just to show the futility of a big-block based scaling solution.

I don't expect BCH to survive very long one way or another. Between poor, rushed coding, vulnerability to mining reorgs by a hostile miner, spam attacks, relentless dumping from BTC supporters, risk of replay attacks if not handled well, and risk of malware splitting tools it's just a question of what will do it in first.
This show us that to create something like bitcoin you need a lot more than just hash power you need the confidence and the trust of the people something this fork does not have and by the looks of it, it is never going to have.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: