Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:00:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Interest in a P2P Exchange  (Read 5249 times)
Loozik

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 08:41:06 PM

If I invest in someone's project, then it will be in the form of a grant without any equity or return expectation.

What do your courses say about the way you want to non-protect your investment? Sorry, couldn't resist, mate.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 08:43:59 PM

That it's a terrible idea Smiley But making Bitcoin more valuable for everyone is a good business strategy and one I suppose people here would get behind regardless of how much they dislike me.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
Loozik

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 08:56:52 PM

1. What kind of control will you exercise over your investment. Will you engage in operations, strategy, others?

2. Have you ever bought a business / invested in one?
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2013, 09:11:01 PM

1. What kind of control will you exercise over your investment. Will you engage in operations, strategy, others?

For a grant, it would be for the production of peer reviewed research thus none whatsoever. For an X-Prize, I fund a trust that has triggers to give the money to someone who "wins". These would be based upon BTCLuke's criterion amongst other factors. I probably wouldn't be the only party involved in this investment.

2. Have you ever bought a business / invested in one?

Yes, and those affairs are private as are yours.

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 09:49:10 PM

Lol, the purpose of the thread was to ask about the community's interest in P2P exchanges. It definitely has worked. That said, fucking nice thread Luke. Seriously its exactly what I was looking for.
I apologize... There was just too much talk about Ripple in here just before I posted that. Wink

Looks like usscfounder has added a few good ideas here too.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
Loozik

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 10:05:18 PM

The problem I see with your investment approach is this:

1. You want to invest / risk a capital of $100k - $500k over 24 months in a Bitcoin-related venture.

2. You want to get - by your own words - ROI (Return On Investment) around 200-300 percent of capital at risk over a 24 month period
For a venture of this nature, I'd like an ROI around 200-300 percent of capital at risk over a 24 month period.

3. Then you say you do not want to calculate your ROI on the capital you will invest in the venture, but - by your own words - you want to calculate ROI from the appreciation of bitcoin
My returns come directly from the appreciation of bitcoin. Sorry mate.

4. Hypothetically:
a) if the venture fails (some ventures fail you know) and you lose your $100k - $500k invested, but
b) bitcoin value appreciates by 200% - 300% independent of your business failing (or even succeeding)
you would still calculate your ROI (Return on Investment) at 200% - 300% even if your venture goes bankrupt?

Come on, this simply makes no sense. I suspect you started another non-thread to promote your courses.

5. Finally, when asked whether you had bought or invested in a business before, you replied ''Yes''. I did many MBOs and LBOs during my carrier in venture capital business; trust me, you have no idea what buying businesses is about.

k99

Activity: 346
Merit: 255

Manfred Karrer

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2014, 01:40:41 PM

Summary: Retarded idea. There is currently no way to implement a p2p exchange. The problem is there is no way to move fiat.

There is:
I just announced a proposal for a P2P Fiat-Bitcoin Exchange which solves the "how to get the fiat in/out" problem.

BANK RUN! - P2P Fiat-Bitcoin Exchange
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=462236

https://bisq.network  |  GPG Key: 6A6B2C46
td services

Activity: 448

black swan hunter

View Profile
February 13, 2014, 07:33:16 PM

Summary: Retarded idea. There is currently no way to implement a p2p exchange. The problem is there is no way to move fiat.

There is:
I just announced a proposal for a P2P Fiat-Bitcoin Exchange which solves the "how to get the fiat in/out" problem.

BANK RUN! - P2P Fiat-Bitcoin Exchange
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=462236

Yep! This is the way to do it, and the only way I've been able to think of keeping Bitcoin and other crypto currencies free without being limited to doing exchanges in person. Very good job, k99.
alex_bronco

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 07:21:31 AM

Personally, I have no interest in daytrading. And I would never participate in anything with even a whiff of Ripple to it. It's completely centralized, and I want no part of it.
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 01:54:07 PM

Personally, I have no interest in daytrading. And I would never participate in anything with even a whiff of Ripple to it. It's completely centralized, and I want no part of it.

We just need to make a decentralized version of Ripple, right?

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
JusticeForYou
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 271

View Profile
February 21, 2014, 02:08:13 PM

I like the idea of a P2P exchange.

Scientific Statistical Polling algorithms would need to be written into the client. People trading would report what the exchange rate was for each trade. I think it would be better to only count Smart Phone Trades to start to keep 'outliers' to a minimum but with proper execution we should be able to get to a proper average price.

I'd align the idea of Singular Exchanges for every transaction aggregated through algorithms to determine a moving average.

Plus, using Smart Phone services when it come time to trade, you could turn ON the option for Trading and quickly locate local traders with their Trading option in the ON position.

The down side is 'Large' trades but that's for others to worry about. I'd rather see the average guy quickly get into and out of BTC and let the 'big' guys solve the big trade problem.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 12:46:21 AM

Ripple = decentralized order book but escrowed fund storage. Anyone can be an escrower, but in the end you need to trust them to handle your funds responsibly. If your "alternative" does sometimg like this, Ripple probably already can do it and also probably better.

It looks like many people expect Ripple to have decentralized fund storage too or think it would be possible to have trustless distributed funds storage. Nope, just look at all these threads that pop up from time to time... they all so far were easily able to be backmailable or just work on crypto currencies in the first place.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
mecoin

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2014, 05:43:02 PM

This sounds to be a good idea  Cool
k99

Activity: 346
Merit: 255

Manfred Karrer

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2015, 02:33:35 PM

I know that this topic is a bit out of date, but just in case you are still interested in a P2P Fiat-BTC exchange, I wanted to post an update of our project and announcement for our crowd funding campaign which will end in a few days (on February 9th).

Bitsquare released an alpha version in December and it can be tested at our regular testing sessions with other traders (testnet).
Today 17:00 CET we have such a session. Feel free to join us on our IRC channel #bitsquare-trading on Freenode.
Further information can be found here:
https://github.com/bitsquare/bitsquare/wiki/Bitsquare-WAN-Parties

Regarding the crowd funding campaign:
We are using Lighthouse as decentralized crowd funding solution to iteratively fund the development of every milestone, leading to a fully functional version 1.0.
The funding goal is 120 BTC for the next milestone and the campaign ends in a few days on February 9th. 
Please visit our web page for more details:
https://bitsquare.io/crowdfunding

If you like to support that project please help us to spread the word.

Best regards,
Manfred

https://bisq.network  |  GPG Key: 6A6B2C46
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: