Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:14:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Rig to your workplace  (Read 1498 times)
kirkey (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 07:32:16 AM

Hello Guys,
I have an idea of bringing my own Mining Rig to my office/workplace to free my Electric Bill but I just want to know if anybody in this forum is doing the same way.
What problems did you encounter?

Talk to me please.. THanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ccccccc7

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 07:37:02 AM

Loads of people do this.

Most obvious problem is heat and by virtue of the fans you will have noise issues depending on location.

Not really much else.
Jody2k

Activity: 42

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 07:38:40 AM

Hello Guys,
I have an idea of bringing my own Mining Rig to my office/workplace to free my Electric Bill but I just want to know if anybody in this forum is doing the same way.

Cheesy sell your rig while you can at a good price (gpu's price are very high still)
 winter is coming, profits will go down hard, you're free electric bill wont help
nydiacaskey01
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1036

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 07:43:53 AM

I thought of this as well. I planned of bringing my GPU in my office and place it inside the server room where only a few people comes in and they come in that room 1 or 2 times a day only. Server rooms have a good ventilation to make sure servers are running at room temperature. The only problem with doing this is if you get caught and the management doesn't like the idea of bringing extra stuff that will eat electricity. Check if its against the company rules and whats the penalty if you get caught. It might not be worth it if the sanction is termination.
Alpha0One1

Activity: 588
Merit: 107

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 07:58:12 AM

Bad idea.

1. How good is the physical security in your office e.g. gatepass for equipments coming in/out? You might be able to bring it inside the office but you may not be able to take it out.
2. That might be construed as "stealing" company resources. You bringing in a personal equipment and use company utilities for personal gain - electricity, space or computer space. You'll possibly face HR sanctions if your personal equipment is found out.
3. You'll introdude risk to your companies network infrastructure, opening network ports for mining, etc. What if a malware infects your company's computer/network system thru your miner?

If you are in control of your test PC lab and test internet network that is totally separate from production network and with no need to bring in a personal equipment, better, as that would minimize the risk to your company network and risk of an equipment being personally associated to you as well. Just run a test, not a miner running 24x7.
Branko

Activity: 2450
Merit: 318

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 08:15:12 AM

Bad idea.

1. How good is the physical security in your office e.g. gatepass for equipments coming in/out? You might be able to bring it inside the office but you may not be able to take it out.
2. That might be construed as "stealing" company resources. You bringing in a personal equipment and use company utilities for personal gain - electricity, space or computer space. You'll possibly face HR sanctions if your personal equipment is found out.
3. You'll introdude risk to your companies network infrastructure, opening network ports for mining, etc. What if a malware infects your company's computer/network system thru your miner?

If you are in control of your test PC lab and test internet network that is totally separate from production network and with no need to bring in a personal equipment, better, as that would minimize the risk to your company network and risk of an equipment being personally associated to you as well. Just run a test, not a miner running 24x7.

He probably lives in some 3rd world dump where there are no such strict policies Cheesy
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 09:23:42 AM

Bad idea.

He probably lives in some 3rd world dump where there are no such strict policies Cheesy

Judging by your posts here you are not much better.

@OP

If company you work for is doing something IT related, it could be a problem just like Alpha0One1 said, because it could be security risk for them. If it's not IT related, and they have some spare room, sure why not.
Fatunad

Activity: 2212
Merit: 347

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 09:41:45 AM

Hello Guys,

I didnt encounter such situation on some people on this forum on having this kind of plans on which bringing mining rigs on their workplace. Its possible but depending if the company or boss would let you do the thing considering that mining operations do really produce heat and noise which would really be a big problem on a busy workplace.Many employees will surely got angry because of such hassle for sure.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Branko

Activity: 2450
Merit: 318

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 09:43:00 AM

Bad idea.

Judging by your posts here you are not much better.

@OP

If company you work for is doing something IT related, it could be a problem just like Alpha0One1 said, because it could be security risk for them. If it's not IT related, and they have some spare room, sure why not.

Yes I do, thats how I know
Tipstar

Activity: 1750
Merit: 278

Smart World Global Token

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 10:21:34 AM

Hello Guys,

It's a great idea but internet connection in my office is filtered. It doesn't connect to any coin servers or whatever they have.
The wallet doesn't get synced and minergate like app also don't take the proxy connection.

.SWG.io.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
CONFIRMED

no1blue

Activity: 56

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 10:33:02 AM

Hello Guys,

It's a great idea but internet connection in my office is filtered. It doesn't connect to any coin servers or whatever they have.
The wallet doesn't get synced and minergate like app also don't take the proxy connection.

My company was in IT field, it have many filters and firewall rules, proxy, etc.

What I did was, I use a PC at home create a VPN server. Because of my lab can access the internet so I set up my rig as a VPN cilent so it can access the minning pool. You may have some technical knowledge. Of course, you are playing the hide and seek game with the IT department so be prepare for consequence.

P/s sorry for my bad English, not my native.
kirkey (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 11:40:53 AM

Bad idea.

I really thought it was a Bad Idea but I'm an IT support in a corporate office and they issued me a new Desktop Tower that can be inserted high end GPU. What if I'm gonna bring just a single GPU card regardless on any noise of fans' running all day long or even 24/7.
kirkey (OP)

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 11:48:06 AM

Hello Guys,

My company was in IT field, it have many filters and firewall rules, proxy, etc.

What I did was, I use a PC at home create a VPN server. Because of my lab can access the internet so I set up my rig as a VPN cilent so it can access the minning pool. You may have some technical knowledge. Of course, you are playing the hide and seek game with the IT department so be prepare for consequence.

Bad Idea for you I think its good for me and maybe I can allow myself bringing and doing IT or hardware stuff since I though people around me have no idea about crypto currency and mining etc. If I'm going to bring a Rig then they would have no idea what I'm up to.. LOL
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 08:56:45 PM

Bad idea.

I really thought it was a Bad Idea but I'm an IT support in a corporate office and they issued me a new Desktop Tower that can be inserted high end GPU. What if I'm gonna bring just a single GPU card regardless on any noise of fans' running all day long or even 24/7.

Well if you can fit multiple cards in a single desktop case and noise is not a problem i'd say go for it. Idk if you have something like maintenance guy that could check that, but that could be potential problem
hanskan

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 11:22:46 PM

Bad idea.

I have bunch of MSI GPUS 1060s, 1070s 1080ti Gaming Xs, they are all incredibly silent with forced fan @ 65%. Never touch Asus, cant hear vacuum cleaner over the noise they are making lol.
BellicoseBenny

Activity: 168

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 11:29:26 PM

The major issue with this is you're exposing your employer's network to unnecessary risks. As a laymen if I found some one mining they would be fired, immediately. If i just caught you with a GPU sucking a bit more juice than normal I'd probably just look at you funny. And think you were playing video games if I wasn't into mining. Which IMO wouldn't be a big deal unless I wanted to get rid of you.

For any of you having problem with heat in your homes...Fans are your friend.

They are rated by the amount of air by cubic feet so it's easy to find a fan that fits your needs exactly.

Cheap and very very effective solution to getting rid of hot air.

edit - and you probably have vents in your attic if you're feeling industrious. You can just link the exhaust right out of the house in the summer
Tipstar

Activity: 1750
Merit: 278

Smart World Global Token

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 12:55:56 AM

Hello Guys,

Bad Idea for you I think its good for me and maybe I can allow myself bringing and doing IT or hardware stuff since I though people around me have no idea about crypto currency and mining etc. If I'm going to bring a Rig then they would have no idea what I'm up to.. LOL

Hi,
please suggest me a way through.
My office connection is filtered centrally using juniper web filtering and also fortiguard. The internet works only when I put a specific proxy and gateway.
It rejects many sites based on their scripts or for being listed.

I'm the boss of my room and no one cares what I do inside my cabin (I'm not monitored by any IT personnel).
I have decent working desktop with internal graphics card and good internet connection. I can add up external graphics cards if I succeed.
I'm already mining monero in my home. But it would be much more efficient doing that in office. (Though less ethical)

VPN software doesn't work. They block the internet when connected.

.SWG.io.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
CONFIRMED

NiHaoMike

Activity: 236
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2017, 12:58:16 AM

Definitely ask for permission first. I doubt they'll allow it. You'll have better luck at smaller companies rather than big ones.

I use cryptocurrency and solar power to help my best friend Naomi Wu... And I'm proud of it!
jenia1

Activity: 504
Merit: 267

HashWare - Mining solutions for everyone!

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 07:00:26 AM

risk reward management. if  you get caught and have problems. then it might as well not be worth it Tongue

Making mining profitable
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ANN  Website  Facebook
                                   █████████
                             ███      ████████   █████
               ▄█████████▄   █          ██████   █████  ████  ████  ████   ▄██████▄    ▄██████▄    ████████
       █████  █████  ██████      ███     █████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████ █████  ████  ████  █████████
█████  █████  █████   █████      ███     █████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
█████  █████  █████   █████  █    ██     █████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
████████████  █████   █████  ██    ███████████████████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████████
█████  █████  █████████████  ████    █████████████████  ████  ████  ████  ██████████  █████████▀  ████
█████  █████  █████████████  ██████    ███████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████████    ████
█████  █████  █████   █████       ███   ██████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████ ▀███▄  ████
       █████  █████   █████       ███    █████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
              █████   █████       ███    █████   █████  ████████████████  ████  ████  ████  ████  █████████
                      █████  █          ██████   █████   ▀█████  █████▀   ████  ████  ████  ████   ████████
                             ███       ███████   █████
                              ▀▀███   ████▀▀▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  PM
Contact Us

Mining Farm planning & advising
Equipment supply & transportation
Linking investors & ideas

kirkey (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 11:06:00 AM

risk reward management. if  you get caught and have problems. then it might as well not be worth it Tongue

So, the problem would be if an IT Dept is very critical on hardware inventory otherwise looks like a good idea after all.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: