Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:56:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 177 LTC , 34000 GNT , 28+ ETH stolen from my wallet  (Read 1815 times)
|Admiral| (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 258

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 05:10:39 PM
Last edit: August 11, 2017, 10:09:06 AM by |Admiral|

Not sure what to say now as all my investment has been robbed by some anonymous hacker.
Just 2 days ago I posted here that can I be rich in 2018 with 200+ LTC?? And today all is gone.
I still can't see my wallet as I am away from my home and I use exodus wallet to manage my fortfolio in PC.
I was about to receive some payment today and on WeChat I told my client to pay the fees on the previous address where he had sent me funds, my client asked to which address and I told him the one which has got 20+ eth and he told there is no eth in your address..I got shocked and then checked it and the funds were transferred from my wallet just yesterday..
https://etherscan.io/address/0x2fC02b345726a8563A612F3cC5aF3ecB9d7E19c9

Crypto investment is bad idea for me.. Huh

EDIT: 11/08/2017

Shapeshift.io scammed me for additional 8 ETH which i had in my wallet, They never paid me the btc, the scammed me with the help of Exodus wallet which i used to store all the crypto assets. I have written Tickets, sent them PM on Facebook, sent then posts on reddit and they are happy to announce that they have integrated this coin and that coin in their exchange but have no time to get into my problem. I am not the only one who is having problem with shapeshift but there are 10+ people with the problem( if you look at the reddit page of shapeshift then you will understand it).
I quit the crypto investment from now, i am done with it , i have lost enough money and in Greece this amount of money ca buy you a penthouse near the river Aliakmonas , I am done with all shit here, I am left with some more money which could buy me a economical BMW but i am so red burnt from my heart now that i am going to place all my money to gambling, let house win why should scammers win???
Its all a happy ending for me, when you cant change the world then change yourself, i cant stop scammers stealing my money so why should i pave a way to them. The matter of laugh is that with shapeshift i do transactions like 4-7 btc a week and they chose me unfortunately.

Thank you all reading this.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 01, 2017, 05:14:30 PM

Crypto investment is not bad as long as you keep your coins safe. You should have bought ledger or Trezor Hardware wallets to keep your funds safe.
iamTom123

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 01:14:43 AM

I understand that this is really a big letdown for you. It is not easy to accumulate those coins these days. Maybe the big lesson here is to never announce to the whole world (especially this forum) that you have this and that amount of coins in your wallet as this can easily invite hackers to look for your hoard and steal them as they are sure that you've got funds really in your wallet.

Since all transactions are considered irreversible in cryptocurrency this can mean that it is already impossible for you to take back your coins. I am expressing my sympathy with you and I hope that soon you can be able to recover (in other ways) what you have lost on this hacking incident. Please be careful next time and thanks for sharing your story here.
nappoleon

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 05:58:43 AM

Sorry for you loss. It is never safe to store significant amount on your computer especially when you're using windows. If you'd ask me an android phone is much safer than PC but it is far more safer when you store it on a hardware wallet. Hope you learned the lesson.

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
omonuyak

Activity: 882
Merit: 269

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 06:11:03 AM

I think you should try to comfort yourself as this your experience is not a good one. Many stolen activities are going on every day and people are being scam daily in many online business. You should not total see crytocurrency investment as a bad one as activities of evil men cut across all faces of business endavour
maeusi

Activity: 462
Merit: 254

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 11:42:25 AM

Isn't here on bitcointalk a thread with techies who can research the wallet owners who had stolen money? Maybe you can find help here, but can't remember where I have read this. Maybe at the section "investment based games".
But how does your client know, what you have in your wallet?
Dontme

Activity: 798
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 01:38:16 PM

Not sure what to say now as all my investment has been robbed by some anonymous hacker.
Just 2 days ago I posted here that can I be rich in 2018 with 200+ LTC?? And today all is gone.
I still can't see my wallet as I am away from my home and I use exodus wallet to manage my fortfolio in PC.
I was about to receive some payment today and on WeChat I told my client to pay the fees on the previous address where he had sent me funds, my client asked to which address and I told him the one which has got 20+ eth and he told there is no eth in your address..I got shocked and then checked it and the funds were transferred from my wallet just yesterday..

Oh no! What a bad experience. I would suggest that you better calm your self right now to think carefully later. In next time you should keep your coin in safe wallet, a trusted wallet site. And next time you have to check always your coins in your wallet. My concern is your feelings, how bad it is that you invested and hold of your coins but suddenly it robbed by anonymous person and now it has no more use for you.
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 02:03:46 PM

Scan your PC for possible malware. I Would recommend using Malwarebyets and also check where your ethereum and litecoins went.
|Admiral| (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 03:24:14 PM

Scan your PC for possible malware. I Would recommend using Malwarebyets and also check where your ethereum and litecoins went.

I have checked all with AVG and has no virus in scan report,I had bought ltc at 0.0165 btc per ltc , and eth at 0.09+ btc per eth, cumulatively i am in huge loss and it is not a lesson for me but for others too, remember never boast about your money any where especially on forums and community.
I really appreciate your advice mr legendary member but now i am in sans.
jhenfelipe

Activity: 1372
Merit: 647

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 10:59:30 PM
Last edit: August 09, 2017, 12:18:32 PM by jhenfelipe

I have checked all with AVG and has no virus in scan report,I had bought ltc at 0.0165 btc per ltc , and eth at 0.09+ btc per eth, cumulatively i am in huge loss and it is not a lesson for me but for others too, remember never boast about your money any where especially on forums and community.
I really appreciate your advice mr legendary member but now i am in sans.
You've shared the amount you have, but never shared your address nor any info about the wallet here in bitcointalk.org (as I've seen on your previous posts). Have you shared it somewhere else? It's really safer to keep things like this in private, sorry for your loss.

Still, anti malware software is recommended AVG might not detect all.
nasibakar

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 12:27:19 AM

WOW,
I have to really learn from you, it is important. Thanks to share this information with us (with me).

If you would like to share further it may be very very important for us, probably you could share the PC type, OS and antivirus or malblocker if any, so we can know further and change it if necessary.

I am really so sorry for your lost, it is hard to loose it and it is not easy to get earn those coin now
rigel
Legendary

Activity: 1240
Merit: 1001

Thank God I'm an atheist

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 01:18:58 AM

Please, hide email address in your profile.
Everyone can see it and send malware to you to rob your coins
|Admiral| (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 08:05:26 AM

SCAM ALERT

I used Exodus wallet to exchange my ethereum to btc and shapeshift scammed me with the help of exodus  Angry Angry Angry Angry

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2078528.msg20786589#msg20786589

Help me!! To get my funds back you scammer.... I am now going to leave this community as i was already scammed here 20 eth and 170+ LTC , and now some more ETH scammed from me.
Scammers every where making new projects to take money from people like me who want to convert their fiat to crypto believing that crypto will change the future...

fuck ou scammers...
chiang81

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 08:45:29 AM

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I'm an new player who just entered into this field, by June this year.

So how does it happened exactly? Some social engineering?
krizniq

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 09:02:16 AM

exodus is closed source wallet and everybody who is serious about security and money should avoid such a solutions....
Everybody who is really serious about crypto should use HW wallets or extreme caution about offline/cold storages

loss is bad, but it look like combination of wrong decisions made by you.

Looking for investment tip? XBY OMG and ADX, thank me later Wink

If you love me -> BTC: 1JLwEteSwyV3uUXN9dVvSqBnt3nbTHeS6i | ETH 0xb3F6aCa84d2513A444FABcd4dbFb256a82FdE610 Thanks! Cheesy
Filmmmakerr

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

Hello. Bye.

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 09:09:32 AM

sorry for your loss..  Sad

Campaign Manager (2018)
yillusion

Activity: 280
Merit: 122

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 09:26:00 AM

sorry to hear that, blockchain has so many people who were hacked, just to comfort yourself and dont give up
kelnel

Activity: 48

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 09:56:18 AM

Oh man... sorry for you man

Crypto wont be maintstream untill global security of funds are safe, without having to be a nerd wizzard to keep your funds safe.

I know there are very secure ways of holding your coins, but there is no way my mother understands it. Untill she can, cryptos can't go mainstream in my opinion.

Dendron

Activity: 19

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 11:20:07 AM

Sorry to tell you this, but they were not your coins. If you do not own the private keys, then you do not own the coins. Next time, you will put them in true wallets, making you there true owner !
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 12:07:50 PM

Sad to hear stories like this, but do not give up on Crypto completely as I believe in 5 years time even this loss will pale in comparison to the possible gains you could miss out on by leaving.

First you need to educate yourself on basic security practices however. If you can, get a hardware wallet as many here have already recommended and get away from online wallets except for very small amounts you intent to use within a relatively short period of time. Practice with your hardware wallet and become very familiar with how it works and how to properly recover the funds. Test with only a small amount <0.001 BTC until you are comfortable with how to get at your funds in any situation.

Also, as others have pointed out, do not post any more information publicly about yourself, including emails, accounts, wallet addresses, or other information than is absolutely necessary, and in most cases this is zero. Hopefully you wouldn't post your Bank's name, account number, and amount on deposit on the Internet, and neither should you post any details about your crypto holdings.

Any online accounts you do have, you should use dedicated email addresses only for that account and never post it anywhere. Use only services (email and other) that provide two-factor authentication, never rely on just an email and password for security.

Sorry for you loss. It is never safe to store significant amount on your computer especially when you're using windows. If you'd ask me an android phone is much safer than PC but it is far more safer when you store it on a hardware wallet. Hope you learned the lesson.

While Windows may be less secure, it is only due to users not taking the time to practice proper security precautions. There are many guides online how to lock down a Windows installation to be in fact quite secure. The main problem is people are using their all-in-one PC for everything and not exercising the caution they should be with so much money at stake. Just like you wouldn't (hopefully) leave an envelope with $20,000 cash in it laying around in your unlocked car, you shouldn't leave the same on your non-secured PC.

For any amounts over $10k (arbitrary) you should be looking at a hardware wallet or dedicated PC. Regardless of OS, take time to properly secure it and disable everything not needed to simply run the wallet software. Be sure to encrypt your wallet with a hard password of at least 32 mixed characters (Upper, Lower, Numbers, Symbols). Setup firewall rules to only allow the bare functionality needed. Never use it for anything else, never ever use a web browser or email client on it, just the wallet and that's it. The only time it should even be running is when you are syncing and ready to make a transaction.

Also don't use wireless and have a decent home router with everything locked down. Again, many sites on how to do this and test its effectiveness are out there.

Anyway, I could go on forever, but the end result is your funds are only as secure as the effort you put into securing them. In this case it sounded like the OP put too much trust into third parties and did not take time to understand how any of it really worked, much less how he could himself take more proactive steps t securing his funds. Now he is pissed at the world because of his carelessness and is ready to give up rather than double down and take advantage of the opportunity of a lifetime.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: