Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:10:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Rosewill Server Mining Case UPDATE 2 and we have more pics.  (Read 7696 times)
Xeon_Xeon (OP)

Activity: 184
Merit: 103

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 12:05:42 AM
Last edit: August 09, 2017, 03:33:34 AM by Xeon_Xeon

I just seen this today and decided to order one to check it out.

Looks interesting enough that I ordered one even tho I don't have enough GPU's to fill it at the moment.

EDIT: And its on sale for $109.00..... that sure beats buying the regular one for less then modding it.

Rosewill RSV-L4000B - 4U Rackmount Server Case / Chassis for Bitcoin Mining Machine

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147270&cm_re=rosewill_mining-_-11-147-270-_-Product

"    For Bitcoin Mining Machine  Cheesy
    Suitable with 6 x 13 inches graphic cards
    Supports 7 expansion slots
    Supports one 3.5" or 2.5" HDD / SSD
    Metal & Steel; 1.0mm Thickness SGCC"

"
Learn more about the Rosewill RSV-L4000B Model
Brand
    Rosewill
Model
    RSV-L4000B
Details
Chassis Type
    Rackmount
Form Factor
    4U
Color
    Black
Case Material
    Metal / Steel, 1.0mm thickness SGCC
Motherboard Compatibility
    12" x 9.6" ATX
Expansion
Expansion Slots
Features
    RSV-L4000B is special version for Bitcoin Mining Machine
    Suitable with 6 x 13 inches graphic cards
    Special design of fixing PCI card in the system 7 pieces max
    Front door foam filter design for minimize dust inflow
    Front door with key lock for better security
    Dual USB 2.0 connector in front panel
Dimensions & Weight
Dimensions (H x W x D)
    7.00" x 16.80" x 25.00"
Weight
    22.27 lbs.
Package Contents
    RSV-L4000B Server Case
    Keys
    Screws
    Other Accessories"

Does not even come up on Rosewills US website. It's cool that a mainstream company is offering something for the mining crowd.

I'm not sure about the door but it looks like it needs to be removed and mount some fans in its place.

Pic's off Newegg:

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2017, 12:35:56 AM

From the pictures, I can't tell if this enclosure has support for more than one power supply. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to mod, but when they're designing this specifically for mining, it seems a bit odd.

For that price though, I'll stick with my cheap file crate "cases". This might be aimed more towards large-scale miners, although without modifications, this one might not achieve the extreme number of cards per rig that some are looking for. (This one looks like it'll allow for 9 dual-slot cards. 6 cards on risers towards the front, up to 3 in the back, directly on the motherboard. Selecting an appropriate board to fully utilize the expansion slots in the back could make things a bit more difficult.)

Now I'm wondering if one could fit 12 cards up front, with each card secured with one screw in a pre-existing hole, and another made by drilling. Of course, then we get back to the issue of adding another PSU to power all the cards, not to mention cooling all of them.

Let us know what you think once yours arrives!

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Xeon_Xeon (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 12:42:48 AM

From the pictures, I can't tell if this enclosure has support for more than one power supply. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to mod, but when they're designing this specifically for mining, it seems a bit odd.

For that price though, I'll stick with my cheap file crate "cases". This might be aimed more towards large-scale miners, although without modifications, this one might not achieve the extreme number of cards per rig that some are looking for. (This one looks like it'll allow for 9 dual-slot cards. 6 cards on risers towards the front, up to 3 in the back, directly on the motherboard. Selecting an appropriate board to fully utilize the expansion slots in the back could make things a bit more difficult.)

Now I'm wondering if one could fit 12 cards up front, with each card secured with one screw in a pre-existing hole, and another made by drilling. Of course, then we get back to the issue of adding another PSU to power all the cards, not to mention cooling all of them.

It's not really going to be able to handle more than 6-7 gpu's without issues I think.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 10:29:21 PM

It doesn't support dual power supplies as supplied.
 It's also badly named - a GPU rig is NOT a viable option for "Bitcoin" mining, though I suppose they used "Bitcoin" because folks recognize the name.

I don't think you want to try to mount more than the designed 7 cards in it, you need space for COOLING of the cards.

Up side - the middle fan mounts have lots of space for HIGH FLOW fans.
 They DO need to open up the front more though, those small holes ARE going to restrict airflow.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 12:01:23 AM

This looks like a regular 4u server chassis with everything ripped apart and sold at OEM prices. Doesn't even come with the risers attached or fans

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Xeon_Xeon (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 04:48:14 AM

Pics with some hardware thrown in for scale and measurements.

First showing the adjustments available on the front upper GPU support, lower rear GPU support and center fan mounting plate.

Various views around the gpu.

Xeon_Xeon (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 04:51:37 AM

More pics.

And the manual.  Roll Eyes

Xeon_Xeon (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 05:04:00 AM
Last edit: August 05, 2017, 05:33:59 AM by Xeon_Xeon

It will hold probably any six of just about any gpu's with plenty of room around them.

The adjustable mounts for the gpu and center fans are a pleasant surprise.

Depending on the power supply and where the center fan mounting plate is located it may take six or maybe only five center fans.

I bought it from Newegg on sale for $109.00 and that beats the hell out of buying the regular version for $15.00 less then modding it.

The biggest question is the front door and placing fans there, 3 120mm fans would work with hardly any mods or I really think just removing the door and making a plate to mount some fans in its place would be the best option.

I think with the door in place i would probably be too restrictive for cooling more powerful video cards but might be ok for RX560's or GTX 1050 Ti's.

The center fans you do have a bit of flexibility with three mounting locations and being able to mount them in front or behind or maybe both depending on position of the mounting plate, gpu's and power supply.

The fan header is nice.  
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 06:07:10 AM

That actually looks like a nice case for its designed purpose, which is a high density deployment in a server rack. The price is a bit high, but as you said it is already modded somewhat for GPU mining, so it save a bit of work which is worth something I guess.

I like the pictures you have taken so far, however would you be able to take one or two more detailing how the GPU fits on the bottom support rail a bit better. The question I have are how much clearance is there when the riser board and cables are attached. Also is the bottom rail adjustable at all? From your one picture with the yellow circling it looks like it is with 4 positions possible, but would be nice to have this confirmed.
Tidsdilatation

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2017, 06:32:09 AM

"Front door with key lock for better security" - WOW  Grin now i feel safe!!!
Xeon_Xeon (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 03:23:27 PM
Last edit: August 05, 2017, 03:47:11 PM by Xeon_Xeon

That actually looks like a nice case for its designed purpose, which is a high density deployment in a server rack. The price is a bit high, but as you said it is already modded somewhat for GPU mining, so it save a bit of work which is worth something I guess.

I like the pictures you have taken so far, however would you be able to take one or two more detailing how the GPU fits on the bottom support rail a bit better. The question I have are how much clearance is there when the riser board and cables are attached. Also is the bottom rail adjustable at all? From your one picture with the yellow circling it looks like it is with 4 positions possible, but would be nice to have this confirmed.

I disagree about the price at $109.00 it's price is really low considering that almost every mining case is more and some ALOT more, a bare gray matter case is three times as much, and the only ones that are cheaper are the cheap wood and aluminum angle homemade open air cases I see on ebay.

The pics with the red and yellow highlighting are the optional spots that the mounts can be moved to.

The front upper comes mounted in the lower spot and can be moved up.

The rear lower comes mounted in the rear lower spot and can be moved both up and foreword.

The fan mounting bracket comes mounted in the rear position and can be moved one or to spots closer to the gpu's.

I have not received my risers yet, shows to be due Monday.

The gpu just sits on the lower support rail, I already posted a really good pic already, my camera is limited since it cant focus any closer than about 18 inches.

cashen

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 04:07:16 PM

what size fans does it take?
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 04:17:55 PM

I disagree about the price at $109.00 it's price is really low considering that almost every mining case is more and some ALOT more, a bare gray matter case is three times as much, and the only ones that are cheaper are the cheap wood and aluminum angle homemade open air cases I see on ebay.

The pics with the red and yellow highlighting are the optional spots that the mounts can be moved to.

The rear lower comes mounted in the rear lower spot and can be moved both up and foreword.

The fan mounting bracket comes mounted in the rear position and can be moved one or to spots closer to the gpu's.

The gpu just sits on the lower support rail, I already posted a really good pic already, my camera is limited since it cant focus any closer than about 18 inches.

Thanks for the followup. It looks like the bottom support bar might interfere with the USB and Power connectors on the PCIe riser board was my concern, and even this new picture seems to show the same. Maybe the bar is thin enough where those two cables will fit underneath without having to put an extreme bend on them. Looking forward to Monday when you get the risers in!

Yeah, the price isn't super bad I guess, but the shipping does not fall under my Prime free shipping, so that's another $25. Still, I am tempted to order one or two to play around with myself. What type of fans did you order?
zer0k

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2017, 04:53:53 PM

Looks like 80mm Sad

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 08:43:48 PM

Looks like 80mm Sad

Double holes on the mounts fairly close together, so I'm betting 70mm or 80mm as options in the middle mount.

5 x 92mm with the blank spaces would be too wide to fit inside a standard 19" rack case.

Guessing the front mounts are for 3 x 120? Those aren't shown very well.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Xeon_Xeon (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 09:11:07 PM

Thanks for the followup. It looks like the bottom support bar might interfere with the USB and Power connectors on the PCIe riser board was my concern, and even this new picture seems to show the same. Maybe the bar is thin enough where those two cables will fit underneath without having to put an extreme bend on them. Looking forward to Monday when you get the risers in!

Yeah, the price isn't super bad I guess, but the shipping does not fall under my Prime free shipping, so that's another $25. Still, I am tempted to order one or two to play around with myself. What type of fans did you order?

My risers will be in Monday,

That bar can be moved forward 1 3/4 inches so that may be enough to have the risers sitting on the top of it, but its easy enought to drill four more holes if thats not enough.

I'm thinking of some "refurb" supermicro 80 mm's.

I think I have an idea for dual power supplys without a ton of modding, just need to get some dimensions and do some measuring.

The pics from last night is just using some unused hardware to get an idea how things will fit.

Xeon_Xeon (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 11:41:28 PM

Looks like 80mm Sad

Double holes on the mounts fairly close together, so I'm betting 70mm or 80mm as options in the middle mount.

5 x 92mm with the blank spaces would be too wide to fit inside a standard 19" rack case.

Guessing the front mounts are for 3 x 120? Those aren't shown very well.

There is no front mounts for fans, I just placed an old 120mm fan to get an idea if you could mount three 120's there.
madcow1713

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 02:34:31 PM

I like the fact that the 90 dollar version comes with the fans. Even though the fans suck, having 3 fans I can push to the front for exhaust right away is nice. The modding takes me like 20 minutes and 1 piece of 1x2.
cashen

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 03:47:23 PM

I like the fact that the 90 dollar version comes with the fans. Even though the fans suck, having 3 fans I can push to the front for exhaust right away is nice. The modding takes me like 20 minutes and 1 piece of 1x2.

I think that version is much smaller.
SCSI2

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 04:08:37 PM

Nice pics! One thought comes to mind....

If this case is supposed to be installed in datacenter type facilities, what will happen to the hot isle/cold isle cooling approach? Looks like the GPUs are breathing out hot air from the front and usually servers do the opposite.

Does this mean that you would want to fill up the whole isle with these units to maintain proper cooling configuration at scale? Or maybe install them backwards in racks?

Either way, I will probably get one just to try because the price seems nice Smiley

-SCSI
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: