Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:33:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New to BTC, and overwhelmed  (Read 929 times)
JasonK94Z (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 03:07:19 PM

Didn't see an introduction section here.  

Bought some bitcoin at an ATM a few days ago.  Currently keeping it in breadwallet.  I have also signed up for bitstamp so maybe I can purchase alt coins online now.  

There is so much to learn, and I'm not really sure where to start.  I'm seeing Ripple, Waves, Ethereum, ICO's, etc.  Is there anywhere a newb can go to learn about all of these currencies?  Videos?  (reading sucks lol)

Any good places to watch prices?  I'd like to buy at least $200 of coins per month.

I'm in this to invest over a long period of time.  A friend at work turned me on to all of this.  He is using Exodus on his pc for a wallet.  I used breadwallet because working from my iPhone is easier sometimes.  

Anyways, glad to be here and to join this awesome community!
CryptosapienZA

Activity: 378
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 03:20:51 PM

Welcome to the world of crypocurrency. If I were you, I wouldnt be making any purchases this week. There's a possibility of a lot of volatility. Take this time to watch as many YouTube videos and read as many white papers(I know it sucks) as you can. Cryptos are here to stay, there is no rush. Go to Coin Market Cap and look into the top 10 initially, then top 20. Go to their websites.
JasonK94Z (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 03:23:43 PM

Welcome to the world of crypocurrency. If I were you, I wouldnt be making any purchases this week. There's a possibility of a lot of volatility. Take this time to watch as many YouTube videos and read as many white papers as you can. Cryptos are here to stay, there is no rush.

Thank you.  I'm going to kick back and keep an eye on things for a couple of weeks.  Then I will wait for a good time to jump in a a couple of currencies when/if they drop in price some. 
maeusi

Activity: 462
Merit: 254

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 03:36:01 PM

Hi, you can find many good tips and help as beginner in bitcoin world and about other cryptocurrencies. Here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=39.0
As newbie this section could be very interesting for you, just to get a common insight of bitcointalk, functions, rules and all you need to get a good start.
paragoncoin

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2017, 03:40:11 PM

Thanks for the links!

thoughts on how long volatility might last?
or what kind of things might suggest less volatility on the horizon?
Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 03:41:41 PM
Last edit: August 02, 2017, 03:57:01 PM by Quantus

Start with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBC-nXj3Ng4

also this thread about creating great passwords.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1822653.msg18152557#msg18152557

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
JasonK94Z (OP)

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 03:46:43 PM

Awesome links.  Thanks everyone! 
jakelyson
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 03:58:46 PM

Delicate time to join bitcoin world. the chain just split and even some people with a bit of experience in crypto are getting confused, much more for a newbie. There are great reads in the beginners section of the forum, I advise you read even if you are not too much into reading. It is the best way to learn crypto.
CryptosapienZA

Activity: 378
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 03:49:31 PM

Welcome to the world of crypocurrency. If I were you, I wouldnt be making any purchases this week. There's a possibility of a lot of volatility. Take this time to watch as many YouTube videos and read as many white papers as you can. Cryptos are here to stay, there is no rush.

Thank you.  I'm going to kick back and keep an eye on things for a couple of weeks.  Then I will wait for a good time to jump in a a couple of currencies when/if they drop in price some.

thoughts on how long volatility might last?
or what kind of things might suggest less volatility on the horizon? 

Noone knows how long the volatility will last. I think the rest of 2017 will be highly volatile due to all these changes, the hardfork/segwit/then 2x . Some do jump right in, it all depends on your risk tolerance. Personally I when  i go in, I go in gradually and not at one go. That helps in understanding some of these platforms before you have put in a lot of money.

bitcoinmaniac52

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

Presale is live!

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 03:56:54 PM

Bought some bitcoin at an ATM a few days ago.  Currently keeping it in breadwallet.  I have also signed up for bitstamp so maybe I can purchase alt coins online now. 

There is so much to learn, and I'm not really sure where to start.  I'm seeing Ripple, Waves, Ethereum, ICO's, etc.  Is there anywhere a newb can go to learn about all of these currencies?  Videos?  (reading sucks lol)

Any good places to watch prices?  I'd like to buy at least $200 of coins per month.

I'm in this to invest over a long period of time.  A friend at work turned me on to all of this.  He is using Exodus on his pc for a wallet.  I used breadwallet because working from my iPhone is easier sometimes. 

You are on the right track. Buying and holding is hands down the best safe way to make big profit with Bitcoin/crypto.

As for your other questions, I will do my best to give a brief, simple explanation for you.

All of the brands you mentioned offer a different "spin" on Bitcoin technology. They have their own unique features, but none of them are as popular as Bitcoin.

ICOs are not currencies. ICO stands for "Initial Coin Offering" which means a  company is selling their own cryptocoin. Sometimes you can make good money buying ICOs and other times they are complete scams. As you are  abeginner, I would not recommend it.

By the way, ICOs are generally hosted on the Ethereum network. What is it? Ethereum is made by Microsoft. They are highly reputable and their platform allows anyone to make their own "token", similar to a cryptocurrency. You can sell this token to provide a service, which is what ICOs are for.

Going forward, I would not suggest buying BTC from ATMs. They have higher fees. You can get it from Coinbase or exchanges for cheaper, or purse.io.

Finally, in the past week there has been tons of drama which I will not get into. Long story short - the US gov. is cracking down on crypto now, so be very weary where you deposit your Bitcoins... make sure only you control your private keys.

▄▄█████████▄▄      █████████████▄▄       █████████████▄▄        █████     █████        █████   ███████████████████    ██▄                ▄██
   ███████████████▄    ████████████████▄     ████████████████▄      █████     ██████       █████   ███████████████████    ████▄            ▄████
  █████▀     ▀▀███▀    █████     ▀▀█████▄    █████     ▀▀█████▄     █████     ███████      █████          █████           ██████▄        ▄██████
 █████          ▀      █████        ▀▀▀▀▀    ▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀██     █████     ████████     █████          █████           ████████▄    ▄████████
 █████▄                ███▀▀                                          ▀▀█     █████████    █████          █████            ▀██████▀    ▀██████▀
 ▀██████▄▄               ▄▄▄        ▄████    ▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄       ▄         ██████████   █████          █████              ▀██▀  ▄██▄  ▀██▀
  ▀█████████▄▄         █████     ▄▄█████▀    █████     ▄▄█████▀     ███▄▄       ▀▀█ █████  █████          █████                  ▄██████▄
     ▀▀█████▀  ▄▄▄     ████████████████▀     ████████████████▀      █████     ▄▄     ▀▀▀██ █████          █████                ▄██████████▄
         ▀▀ ▄█████▄    █████████████▀▀       ██████████████▀        █████     ████▄       ▀▀▀███          █████              ▄██████████████▄
             ▀█████    █████                 █████     █████        █████     █████    ▄▄▄                █████            ▄████████▀▀████████▄
 ▄█▄          █████    █████                 █████      █████       █████     █████     █████▄▄▄
          █████           ████████▀    ▀████████
▄████▄▄     ▄█████     █████                 █████       █████      █████     █████      ███████
          ▀████           ██████▀        ▀██████
▀████████████████      █████                 █████        █████     █████     █████       ██████
            ▀██           ████▀            ▀████
  ▀▀██████████▀▀       █████                 █████         █████    █████     █████        █████
              ▀           ██▀                ▀██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
    ██
   ██
  ██
 ██
██
 ██
  ██
   ██
    ██
     ██
Whitepaper
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ANN Thread

██
 ██
  ██
   ██
    ██
     ██
    ██
   ██
  ██
 ██
██

Telegram
Facebook
Twitter
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2017, 04:04:35 PM

A good place to start is on Youtube, you'll find a lot of video's explaining Bitcoin and all other crypto currencies.
One specific channel that I follow is called 'The cryptoverse', he talks about Bitcoin and altcoins and whatever is in the news regarding crypto.

Check it out here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLnQ34ZBSjy2JQjeRudFEDw

TomUyamot

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 04:12:48 PM

Bought some bitcoin at an ATM a few days ago.  Currently keeping it in breadwallet.  I have also signed up for bitstamp so maybe I can purchase alt coins online now.  

There is so much to learn, and I'm not really sure where to start.  I'm seeing Ripple, Waves, Ethereum, ICO's, etc.  Is there anywhere a newb can go to learn about all of these currencies?  Videos?  (reading sucks lol)

Any good places to watch prices?  I'd like to buy at least $200 of coins per month.

I'm in this to invest over a long period of time.  A friend at work turned me on to all of this.  He is using Exodus on his pc for a wallet.  I used breadwallet because working from my iPhone is easier sometimes.  

First of all, welcome to the world of crypto bro!

Since you are a beginner, perhaps you can browse and read threads and specific posts here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=39.0. This is Beginners & Help, just under Other section.

This thread is specially made for beginners like you. It is of great help. I also spent a lot of time there when I was starting here.
JasonK94Z (OP)

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 04:46:34 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I have been reading and watching some videos on YouTube.  Trying to take in as much as I can.
Juggy777

Activity: 2646
Merit: 686

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 04:52:35 PM

I normally do not like newbie posts, but this is a sincere one, welcome here op. For prices hop onto preev.com, as far your coins store them in electrum wallet, no idea which wallet you stored your coins in. You can buy coins here to but only buy from trusted members, who have lots of green and check their latest posts. Yes Bitcoins is good investment. There lot to learn and ps don't ever post your privates keys anywhere be careful with that.
freeyourmind

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 05:02:37 PM

Go to coinmarketcap.com to see all of the different cryptocurrencies available for trade.  Keep an eye on that periodically to observe the movements and volatility of coins you're interested in.

There's some general info on Bitcoin for beginners here https://www.coindesk.com/information/

Enjoy.
Heartilly

Activity: 697
Merit: 253

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 05:11:20 PM

As like what everyone has mentioned here, indeed, the best way to gain information is by reading. You can read and explore thread for beginners here in this forum or you may want to research on Google. There are endless source on how you can learn all you need to do is to be patient enough. Also, interact with the people here in this forum that you feel is truly knowledgeable. Like you, I am a bit confused, and yes, overwhelm at the same time by lots of information that you need to keep in mind (much likely since bitcoin now is increasing it's popularity). There is so much to learn so be more open minded.
eXpl0sive

Activity: 574
Merit: 502

waiting to explode

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 05:36:54 PM

Is there anywhere a newb can go to learn about all of these currencies?  Videos?  (reading sucks lol)

https://www.youtube.com/user/aantonop

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 06:08:08 PM

Welcome to the world of crypocurrency. If I were you, I wouldnt be making any purchases this week. There's a possibility of a lot of volatility. Take this time to watch as many YouTube videos and read as many white papers(I know it sucks) as you can. Cryptos are here to stay, there is no rush. Go to Coin Market Cap and look into the top 10 initially, then top 20. Go to their websites.

Seems like that volatility is nowhere to be found yet. The price has been quite stable considering the crazy 25% daily candle the other day, and the context of all this FUD about forks and chain splits.

Interesting that Bitfinex opened BCH markets. It's still holding in the $300s on considerably higher volume than BTCUSD.

wantjokull

Activity: 700
Merit: 275

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2017, 06:16:47 PM

Looks like you started pretty well. It's good thing that you are having ATM near you to access the bitcoin on the go. You can learn about bitcoin by surfing around the forum really. I know there is no specific thread but you can choose topics step by step and work out the math.
You should learn about few important topics such as, where to invest your bitcoin, how to trade your bitcoin, how to mine bitcoin (very hot) and much more.

You can earn bitcoins from this forum as well by making yourself useful to other companies to promote them by wearing their signature. Checkout about this in services section. Hope you enjoy the bitcoin world.

▄▄██▄▄        ▄▄██▄▄
 ▄▄██████████▄▄▄▄██████████▄▄
█████████████████████████████
▀▀██████████▀▀ ▀▀██████████▀▀
    ▀▀██▀▀         ▀▀██▀▀

███▄▄██████▄▄        ▄▄██████▄▄     ▄█▄       ▄█▄     ▄▄██████▄▄
██████▀▀▀▀████▄    ▄████▀▀▀▀████▄  ▀████▄   ▄████▀  ▄████▀▀▀▀████▄
████        ███▄  ▄███        ███▄   ▀████▄████▀   ▄███        ███▄
███          ███  ████████████████     ▀█████▀     ███          ███
███          ███  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▄███████▄    ███▄        ▄███
███          ███   ███▄▄            ▄████▀ ▀████▄   ███▄▄    ▄▄███
███          ███    ▀██████████    ▀███▀     ▀███▀   ▀██████████▀
▀▀▀          ▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀         ▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄       
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▄▄█▄▄   
▄▀▀  ▄▄▀▀      ▄▄▀▀   █ ▀▀▄
▄▀▄▄▀▀      ▄▄▀▀        █  ▀▄
█▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄█
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █                           █
█                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █                  ▄▀       █
█                  █   ██   █
    ▄▄▄▄▄  █                  ▀▄       █
█                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█                           █
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
THE WORLD'S
FIRST INSTANT
CRYPTO LOANS
GET INSTANT CASH IN
40+FIAT
CURRENCIES

USING
CRYPTO  AS
COLLATERAL

trecore4

Activity: 658
Merit: 260

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 04, 2017, 02:10:44 AM

You can start searching straight on the YouTube if you don't like reading. Lols.

There are plenty of videos bitcoin (like too much). Anyway you should get all into reading really. The forum is really interested and you can know many things from it. You will need to give sometime to develop the interest. You will find how important this forum is and it will become part of your breakfast, lunch, dinner too. Lols.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆