Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:57:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with mining rig  (Read 344 times)
justarobot (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 05:45:32 AM

Hello guys! I'm new to this forum, as well as to mining.
I've experimented with my r9 270x last 15 days, and I've decided to invest a little bit of money in hardware. So after a lot of researching i'm thinking of buying a rig of two 1060-6g, and as soon as I can afford more of them I would upgrade my rig.
My electricity cost is roughly 0.04-0.05eur depending on how much power I use per month.
So do you think maybe its more profitable to buy some used old cards that use more energy? Which would you recommend?
Or maybe is it better to stick with new 1060, with 2yr warranty which is priced in my country at around 300eur. And are 1060-3g maybe better buy at around 220 euros?
I'm open to all opinions and suggestions, thank you Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 06:26:58 AM

Dont buy used, these cards rarely live up to the end of their warranty period. Also get ASUS, they provide 3 years factory warranty. Are you somewhere in the Balkans?

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2017, 07:21:45 AM

If new 3GB 1060s are all significantly cheaper than 6GB versions and come with good warranties, go for it, unless you're set on mining Ethereum. 2GB cards are already obsolete (without fancy tricks with loading the DAG), and it's only a matter of time before 3GB cards are as well.

1060s generally do quite well on Zcash, and are also quite efficient with electricity. 6GB versions generally perform better, but that's usually not significant enough to justify a large price difference.

Newegg was selling some recently at $230 (including US shipping)
Amazon (US) expects to restock them within 1-2 weeks, although I'm not sure if they will readjust their prices.

General tip: If possible with your budget, avoid the 1060s with single-fans that are oriented towards users with much smaller cases. Blower-style coolers are fine, but not the compact versions with a single (non-blower) cooler. They'll run hotter, and remember that you plan on pegging them 24/7.

Example: Avoid

Unless they are significantly cheaper than those with dual-fan or blower coolers.

With only a few cards, those single-fan cards will probably be okay. Otherwise, avoid them unless you want to rig up some extra fans.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
jenia1

Activity: 504
Merit: 267

HashWare - Mining solutions for everyone!

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 08:21:57 AM

i see no problem with buying used stuff as long as it have warranty.
honestly, all of my electronics such as pc laptop smartphone and such are all used WITHOUT warranty. but mining is slightly different i would get a warranty for the rig for at least one year.
in the end it all depends on the price of the used hardware you can get. if it is not that old and is gonna be operated under reasonable temps and the price is good i would get used even if it has no warranty. but really you gonna have to make the math your own as to how long it takes you to ROI and how much extra money you willing to spend on a card that has a warranty.

Making mining profitable
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ANN  Website  Facebook
                                   █████████
                             ███      ████████   █████
               ▄█████████▄   █          ██████   █████  ████  ████  ████   ▄██████▄    ▄██████▄    ████████
       █████  █████  ██████      ███     █████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████ █████  ████  ████  █████████
█████  █████  █████   █████      ███     █████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
█████  █████  █████   █████  █    ██     █████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
████████████  █████   █████  ██    ███████████████████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████████
█████  █████  █████████████  ████    █████████████████  ████  ████  ████  ██████████  █████████▀  ████
█████  █████  █████████████  ██████    ███████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████████    ████
█████  █████  █████   █████       ███   ██████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████ ▀███▄  ████
       █████  █████   █████       ███    █████   █████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████  ████
              █████   █████       ███    █████   █████  ████████████████  ████  ████  ████  ████  █████████
                      █████  █          ██████   █████   ▀█████  █████▀   ████  ████  ████  ████   ████████
                             ███       ███████   █████
                              ▀▀███   ████▀▀▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  PM
Contact Us

Mining Farm planning & advising
Equipment supply & transportation
Linking investors & ideas

TimeTeller

Activity: 2716
Merit: 588

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 08:36:00 AM

To check your profitability as a start, you can use these sites to calculate how much you will earn, with your power consumption included -

https://whattomine.com
https://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency

There are other sites but these should be sufficient for now, at least you know how much you can expect at the end of the month.
justarobot (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 10:48:56 AM

Dont buy used, these cards rarely live up to the end of their warranty period. Also get ASUS, they provide 3 years factory warranty. Are you somewhere in the Balkans?
Yeah, i'm from Serbia Smiley Thanks for the info about Asus cards, but they are ~20% more expensive, do you think one year of warranty is worth that difference? Does it offer any boost in hashrate?

@Undefined31415 - Thanks for the info, and headsups! I'm currently mining zcash, and I think i'll stay with it, of course i'm flexible with currency choice, but my personal opinion is that zcash has potential.

@jenia1 - In my country, currently, there are mostly used cards without warranty. Yeah I know, I've done a lot of math, based on current rates, but I thought I could gather up some info here before getting starterd. Thanks for answer Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: