Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:59:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Rig to your workplace  (Read 1499 times)
twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 12:04:13 PM

Electricity was the biggest problem for me. Graphics card prices are also a major problem. Finding and buying video cards is a big problem. Also take care of the cooling problem.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
db8888

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 05:34:35 PM

This is a fun one, we just caught someone at my shop attempting to do this. He's been placed on 2 weeks no pay suspension. Though we had a guy 3 months ago using a box he had access to as a p0rn repository LOL.. that guy is no longer employed at our company.
A lot I would say is your companies culture, some places might not care (smaller shops), but if in a larger place with dedicated IT (i.e. a network monitoring team, CISO etc..) then I would suggest caution, unless your possibly up for getting a new job too. 

eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 07:15:02 PM

The major issue with this is you're exposing your employer's network to unnecessary risks. As a laymen if I found some one mining they would be fired, immediately. If i just caught you with a GPU sucking a bit more juice than normal I'd probably just look at you funny. And think you were playing video games if I wasn't into mining. Which IMO wouldn't be a big deal unless I wanted to get rid of you.

For any of you having problem with heat in your homes...Fans are your friend.

They are rated by the amount of air by cubic feet so it's easy to find a fan that fits your needs exactly.

Cheap and very very effective solution to getting rid of hot air.

edit - and you probably have vents in your attic if you're feeling industrious. You can just link the exhaust right out of the house in the summer

How would you catch someone if GPU in his PC drains more electricity than normal ? Do you have a meter plugged at every PC and then manually checking power consumption ?
BellicoseBenny

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 07:21:27 PM

The major issue with this is you're exposing your employer's network to unnecessary risks. As a laymen if I found some one mining they would be fired, immediately. If i just caught you with a GPU sucking a bit more juice than normal I'd probably just look at you funny. And think you were playing video games if I wasn't into mining. Which IMO wouldn't be a big deal unless I wanted to get rid of you.

For any of you having problem with heat in your homes...Fans are your friend.

They are rated by the amount of air by cubic feet so it's easy to find a fan that fits your needs exactly.

Cheap and very very effective solution to getting rid of hot air.

edit - and you probably have vents in your attic if you're feeling industrious. You can just link the exhaust right out of the house in the summer

How would you catch someone if GPU in his PC drains more electricity than normal ? Do you have a meter plugged at every PC and then manually checking power consumption ?

If I did, how that would happen I'm not sure

maybe they just had an open desk and I saw they had exra ports on the back of their tower? Beyond that just IT telling me while doing maintenance or seomthing

The "sucking juice" part was the obvious problem with them installing a GPU...not how you would get caught...
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 02, 2017, 10:20:30 PM

Definitely ask for permission first. I doubt they'll allow it. You'll have better luck at smaller companies rather than big ones.

This is the only post in the whole thread that even attempted to give you good advice. Everything else is just trying to skirt around the core question, is your boss ok with it? Unless you own the company all by yourself, you will answer to someone else, as even CEO's answer to their company's Board and stockholders.

If your boss does agree, it would be a good idea to get it in writing, such as an email rather than just as a verbal agreement. They may not fully understand the implications at the time and may go back on you if something would come up down the road.
Tipstar

Activity: 1764
Merit: 280

Smart World Global Token

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 03:54:01 AM

Definitely ask for permission first. I doubt they'll allow it. You'll have better luck at smaller companies rather than big ones.

This is the only post in the whole thread that even attempted to give you good advice. Everything else is just trying to skirt around the core question, is your boss ok with it? Unless you own the company all by yourself, you will answer to someone else, as even CEO's answer to their company's Board and stockholders.

If your boss does agree, it would be a good idea to get it in writing, such as an email rather than just as a verbal agreement. They may not fully understand the implications at the time and may go back on you if something would come up down the road.

I don't think using the office for mining some coins is that bad. Even the NSA supercomputers were used to mine bitcoins in past.
I'm just using my designated PC and It's not my boss paying for the electricity bill, the government pays it.

.SWG.io.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
CONFIRMED

Undefined31415

Activity: 336
Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2017, 04:33:05 AM
Last edit: August 03, 2017, 07:08:22 AM by Undefined31415

Installing a quiet graphics card into your computer and mining on it is probably okay (assuming it's your personal desktop, and not owned by your employer). Worst case, you might be asked to stop leaving your system on all the time.

Trying to conceal a dedicated mining rig in the office, however, probably isn't the greatest idea.

Think about what you'd pay keeping it at home: (Ignoring costs to comfort, additional/reduced AC/heating costs, and other things that are difficult to estimate.)

Consider the most powerful rig you could reasonably expect to hide or have ignored by most coworkers. It's debatable (would the company notice an unauthorized system on the network, or someone constantly on the guest wifi, would they notice a spike in power costs, etc.), but I'm thinking 8x 1080ti cards on 2 PSUs mounted on a solid frame. Maybe somewhere around 1'x1'x2'. Back to estimating power costs:

Assuming each card draws about 250W when pegged, that brings us to 2000W. If we estimate a total of 100W for all other components, that brings the total power estimate up to 2100W.

Over the course of 30 days, that brings us to 1,512 kWh. Suppose that, on average, you pay $0.20 per kWh. For many miners, this would be considered rather expensive, so I'm being generous with the electricity costs you'd expect to save. (It's in tiers, but it doesn't really make sense to say whether the mining rig was responsible for the "first" or "last" part of the total electricity use.)

This brings us to about $300 per month. Is saving $300 per month worth the possibility of receiving a reprimand? I don't think so, but I suppose it would depend on how secure you feel about your job. (I mean, if you're a tenured professor conducting "research"... Tongue)

Anyhow, back on topic. Attempting to conceal a mining rig at your workplace is probably not worth it. Ask the appropriate people for permission. (In that case, be prepared to accept a blunt "no" or "not for free".)

Keep in mind that commercial facilities generally aren't billed by the simple kWh that you're used to seeing at home. In my experience, commercial power bills tend to look quite a bit more complicated, although I've never been the employee responsible for processing them. Off the top of my head, I can't say whether or not a mining rig would have a greater impact on costs for a commercial power bill or a residential power bill. Those are details you'd have to work out at your workplace.

A sample explanation of a large commercial power bill:
https://www.csu.org/CSUDocuments/understandinglargebills.pdf

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Meteorite777

Activity: 68
Merit: 6

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 05:53:48 AM

I don't think using the office for mining some coins is that bad. Even the NSA supercomputers were used to mine bitcoins in past.
I'm just using my designated PC and It's not my boss paying for the electricity bill, the government pays it.

That's even worse... now you're not just stealing from your boss or a private company, you are stealing from taxpayers...
kirkey (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 06:34:25 AM

Installing a quiet graphics card into your computer and mining on it is probably okay (assuming it's your personal desktop, and not owned by your employer). Worst case, you might be asked to stop leaving your system on all the time.

Trying to conceal a dedicated mining rig in the office, however, probably isn't the greatest idea.

Think about what you'd pay keeping it at home: (Ignoring costs to comfort, additional/reduced AC/heating costs, and other things that are difficult to estimate.)

Consider the most powerful rig you could reasonably expect to hide or have ignored by most coworkers. It's debatable (would the company notice an unauthorized system on the network, or someone constantly on the guest wifi, would they notice a spike in power costs, etc.), but I'm thinking 8x 1080ti cards on 2 PSUs mounted on a solid frame. Maybe somewhere around 1'x1'x2'. Back to estimating power costs:

Assuming each card draws about 250W when pegged, that brings us to 2000W. If we estimate a total of 100W for all other components, that brings the total power estimate up to 2100W.

Over the course of 30 days, that brings us to 1,512 kWh. Suppose that, on average, you pay $0.20 per kWh. For many miners, this would be considered rather expensive, so I'm being generous with the amount of electricity you'd expect to save. (It's in tiers, but it doesn't really make sense to say whether the mining rig was responsible for the "first" or "last" part of the total electricity use.)

This brings us to about $300 per month. Is saving $300 per month worth the possibility of receiving a reprimand? I don't think so, but I suppose it would depend on how secure you feel about your job. (I mean, if you're a tenured professor conducting "research"... Tongue)
http://thumbs.imagekind.com/3053928_650/Tenured-Professor---Pearls-Before-Swine.jpg?v=1390394280

Anyhow, back on topic. Attempting to conceal a mining rig at your workplace is probably not worth it. Ask the appropriate people for permission. (In that case, be prepared to accept a blunt "no" or "not for free".)

Keep in mind that commercial facilities generally aren't billed by the simple kWh that you're used to seeing at home. In my experience, commercial power bills tend to look quite a bit more complicated, although I've never been the employee responsible for processing them. Off the top of my head, I can't say whether or not a mining rig would have a greater impact on costs for a commercial power bill or a residential power bill. Those are details you'd have to work out at your workplace.

A sample explanation of a large commercial power bill:
https://www.csu.org/CSUDocuments/understandinglargebills.pdf

It is indeed a good explanation and informative clause. Thanks
BellicoseBenny

Activity: 168

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 06:46:29 AM

That's even worse... now you're not just stealing from your boss or a private company, you are stealing from taxpayers...

...We were probably using that hash power to spy on our own citizens, makes a lot more sense than stealing from your employer

And let's be honest if you had all that hash power at your disposal. You'd have to try for a bit if you felt you could cover your tracks
Undefined31415

Merit: 253

Gone phishing...

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2017, 07:05:20 AM

...We were probably using that hash power to spy on our own citizens, makes a lot more sense than stealing from your employer

And let's be honest if you had all that hash power at your disposal. You'd have to try for a bit if you felt you could cover your tracks

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/harvard-student-uses-14000-core-supercomputer-mine-dogecoin/

The funny thing is that the supercomputer was not suitable for scrypt mining, although it was still pretty powerful, despite its poor efficiency. (And, of course, the obvious funny thing being the student thinking they could get away with it.)

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
   Anonymity Guaranteed
   Anonymous and Untraceable
   Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
deddod

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 05:52:38 PM

Hello Guys,
I have an idea of bringing my own Mining Rig to my office/workplace to free my Electric Bill but I just want to know if anybody in this forum is doing the same way.
What problems did you encounter?

Talk to me please.. THanks
I have never done that.
Too risky if it is done in my office.
I would prefer to do the mining at home. with the current eth price. For me, the problem electric bills can I overcome.

▄█▄
   ██▀  ▄█▄
  ██▀  ▄█▀  ▄▀
 ██▀  ▄█▀  ▄▀
▐█▌  ▄█▀  ▄▀
██   ██  
██   ██  
██   ██  
▐█▌  ▀█▄  ▀▄
 ██▄  ▀█▄  ▀▄
  ██▄  ▀█▄  ▀▄
   ██▄  ▀█▀
    ▀█▀
████
▀▀▀▀
▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████████▐████
▀▀     ▄▄▄▄▄▀██████████▐████
▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄█████▀ ▀▄▄▄     ▐████
▀▀     ▄▀███▄▄▄▄       ▐████
▄▄   ▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▐████
▀▄▄▀▀▀▀▀██████████████▐████
▄▄   ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▐████

▀▄▄▀▀▀  ██████           ▐████
██████▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▐████

▄▄  ████▀▄██████████▐████
▀▄▄▀▀▀▀ ▄████████████▐████
BIDIUM       ▄█▄
   ▄█▄
  ▀██

▀▄  ▀█▄  ▀██
 ▀▄  ▀█▄  ▀██
  ▀▄  ▀█▄  ▐█▌
   █   ██   ██
   █   ██   ██
   █   ██   ██
  ▄▀  ▄█▀  ▐█▌
 ▄▀  ▄█▀  ▄██
▄▀
  ▄█▀  ▄██
   ▀█▀
  ▄██
       ▀█▀

Branko

Activity: 2464
Merit: 318

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 05:57:35 PM

1. government is your boos
2. you're spending taxpayers money that could feed some hungry child
KluFf

Alfa-Enzo: Introducing the First Global Smartmarke

View Profile
August 03, 2017, 06:25:08 PM

Wrong Move Bro. You can't say how Stable the Electricity in your Work Place because
of Distribution of Electricity in each Device Or Unit Inside your Workplace/Company.
has a  Chance of CPU might malfunction . and Some Sector Of Hardisk  might get Corrupted.
So Goodluck bro.

......A L F A ─ E N Z O......
\▼/ "Develop, standardize, protect, and promote" the AEF Ecosystem \▼/
...FACEBOOKTWITTERTELEGRAM BOUNTY...
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: