Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:00:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Make sure you pay your taxes to the government that spies on you!  (Read 5529 times)
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 04:33:14 AM

Bitcoin is like any other income - if the government knows about it, it will be liable to tax.
Liable... but not accessible.
A bitcoin world or more generally a public money supply currency world clearly means MORE taxes than before.  After all, if you cut off the source of income which is printing money as debt, governments will be forced to take more taxes to maintain roads, etc. 

Bitcoin income is MORE accessible to taxation, because the block chain doesn't lie (though of course under the table transactions will always be possible).
Maybe more liable, but as I said, not accessible.

Unless you know of a way you can reach in to my wallet and take my coins?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 07:27:04 AM

Bitcoin is like any other income - if the government knows about it, it will be liable to tax.
A bitcoin world or more generally a public money supply currency world clearly means MORE taxes than before.  After all, if you cut off the source of income which is printing money as debt, governments will be forced to take more taxes to maintain roads, etc. 

Bitcoin income is MORE accessible to taxation, because the block chain doesn't lie (though of course under the table transactions will always be possible).

Yes - put you in jail until you pay your debts.  Exactly like happens with all other forms of income.

I'm don't know why you cling to the bizarre notion that income from Bitcoin is some way special in that the taxman can't take it.  If he knows about it, he can tax it.  Bitcoin is just another currency from that point of view.
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 02:26:18 PM

The tax man never reaches in your wallet.  Instead, we reach into our wallets and give the coins to them.
Hopefully, we will do so willingly and with knowledge that the money is going to a cause we support.

Unfortunately there will also be those who use threat of violence, as was common in the dark ages, er I mean now... 

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 02:28:45 PM

Yes - put you in jail until you pay your debts.  Exactly like happens with all other forms of income.

I'm don't know why you cling to the bizarre notion that income from Bitcoin is some way special in that the taxman can't take it.  If he knows about it, he can tax it.  Bitcoin is just another currency from that point of view.
I don't understand why you cling to the silly notion that bitcoin isn't different. I have to willingly give up the money. Every other currency, they can take by force.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 02:43:41 PM

...snip...
I don't understand why you cling to the silly notion that bitcoin isn't different. I have to willingly give up the money. Every other currency, they can take by force.

Judge locks you up.  Demands 500 Bitcoin and $50,000.  You are not leaving jail until the Judge has both.

Your bitcoin is on a USB stick and your cash is buried in a field.

Exactly how is your Bitcoin safer than your cash from confiscation? 
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 02:52:20 PM

...snip...

Judge locks you up.  Demands 500 Bitcoin and $50,000.  You are not leaving jail until the Judge has both.

Bitcoin is in a brainwallet, and cash is buried in a field. If they know where to find the cash (through surveillance, a snitch, whatever), they can dig it up and take it. As long as I have selected an unguessable passphrase, ain't nobody taking my bitcoins without my say-so.

wdmw

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 02:53:13 PM

Your cash is buried in a field. 

You bury your cash in a field?  The IRS takes mine from my paycheck before I ever get it.
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 02:55:56 PM

...snip...

Funny thing is, none of that has happened to me in the 10 years since I've filed a tax return.

Why? Because the IRS has no evidence that I've had any taxable income - even by their definition. I buy cars privately with cash and I rent. When I did buy houses, I used a C-corp and wrote off all my capital gains.

But you are free to continue being a slave, Hawker. Meanwhile, I'll continue being better off than you because I keep all my money.

I'm grumpy!!
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:04:49 PM

...snip...

Bitcoin is in a brainwallet, and cash is buried in a field. If they know where to find the cash (through surveillance, a snitch, whatever), they can dig it up and take it. As long as I have selected an unguessable passphrase, ain't nobody taking my bitcoins without my say-so.

lol your "say-so" while you rot in jail makes it voluntary?

In both cases, you remain in jail until the authorities have what they want.  The Bitcoin is no more secure than the cash. 

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:07:10 PM

You bury your cash in a field?  The IRS takes mine from my paycheck before I ever get it.

My exact point.  myrkul is peddling the notion that if you are paid in Bitcoin, you are not subject to tax on your income.  But if you are an employee, that's nonsense.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 03:33:55 PM

...snip...

In both cases, you remain in jail until the authorities have what they want.  The Bitcoin is no more secure than the cash.
And in both cases, I am costing them money, instead of earning them money. The benefit of bitcoin is that they can't get it unless I decide to give it to them.
Three hots and a cot, on the state dime, while my money's safe in my head.
Repeat after me: I am not your piggybank.

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 03:35:48 PM

...snip...

Judge locks you up.  Demands 500 Bitcoin and $50,000.  You are not leaving jail until the Judge has both.

In both cases, you remain in jail until the authorities have what they want.  The Bitcoin is no more secure than the cash.
And in both cases, I am costing them money, instead of earning them money. The benefit of bitcoin is that they can't get it unless I decide to give it to them.

So you are agreed that the cash and the Bitcoin are equally safe.  Fine.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 03:39:31 PM

...snip...

Judge locks you up.  Demands 500 Bitcoin and $50,000.  You are not leaving jail until the Judge has both.

In both cases, you remain in jail until the authorities have what they want.  The Bitcoin is no more secure than the cash.

So you are agreed that the cash and the Bitcoin are equally safe.  Fine.
Uhhh... nooo....

If they know where to find the cash (through surveillance, a snitch, whatever), they can dig it up and take it.

Can't do that with bitcoins. I'll even tell them where the money is: 1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Come and get it.  Cheesy

myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 04:06:08 PM

My exact point.  myrkul is peddling the notion that if you are paid in Bitcoin, you are not subject to tax on your income.  But if you are an employee, that's nonsense.
Depends on who you work for. If you work for someone willing to pay you in bitcoin, it's likely that you also work for someone willing to not report your earnings.

Another benefit of bitcoins. Employer buys bitcoins, isn't legally required to pay taxes on them until he turns them back into cash.

AzureEngineer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 05:14:22 PM

I would get in this argument but I don't want myrkul threatening to choke me, too. Violent people are so irrational.   Embarrassed

My name was simply a play on "Blue Engineer" from Team Fortress. I am not affiliated with Microsoft or the Azure project.
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 05:18:17 PM

I would get in this argument but I don't want myrkul threatening to choke me, too. Violent people are so irrational.   Embarrassed

to be fair, I'm the one who wants to choke Hawker. If you pay taxes - you're a violent person. You're implying that you're on the "pay your taxes" side of the argument - so you're admitting that you are not only violent - and thus "irrational" by your argument- but you're also the initiator of the violence. Me wanting to choke someone for initiating the violence is just self defense.

I'm grumpy!!
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 05:18:37 PM

I would get in this argument but I don't want myrkul threatening to choke me, too. Violent people are so irrational.   Embarrassed

I know - and they keep saying that we don't need the police :O
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 05:20:29 PM

I would get in this argument but I don't want myrkul threatening to choke me, too. Violent people are so irrational.   Embarrassed

to be fair, I'm the one who wants to choke Hawker. If you pay taxes - you're a violent person. You're implying that you're on the "pay your taxes" side of the argument - so you're admitting that you are not only violent - and thus "irrational" by your argument- but you're also the initiator of the violence. Me wanting to choke someone for initiating the violence is just self defense.

Actually the reason you threatened to kill me is that I called you out for your trolling.  Stop trying to rationalise your being hypersensitive. 
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2013, 05:27:19 PM

Now, why would I do that?

Unless you're going to morally and financially support the people who would rob me, kidnap me, or potentially even murder me?

Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2013, 05:29:01 PM

Now, why would I do that?

Unless you're going to morally and financially support the people who would rob me, kidnap me, or potentially even murder me?

Again back to threatening people who disagree with you?
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: