Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:16:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Make sure you pay your taxes to the government that spies on you!  (Read 5530 times)
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 03:43:24 PM

I feel you and crytoanarchist have demonstrated the value of a state having a monopoly on violence.
Hardly.
Don't you think it would be best if the agency preventing you from being robbed didn't have the ability to rob you?

I believe that no-one has the right to strangle a person - regardless of whether bare hands are used.  There may be cases where the death penalty is right - I don't really approve of it ever but that kind of casual violence is unacceptable.

If there is a dispute, I believe that any violence should follow a trial before a jury of your peers. The rules should be made by a body elected by your peers.  The enforcement should be by an institution created by your peers.  These 3 institutions should be separate.  In other words, democracy with all its checks and balances.  

That's slightly off topic to the thread which was whether to pay taxes to pay for all of this.  I believe that part of public expenditure is generally money well spent.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 03:57:05 PM

I believe that no-one has the right to strangle a person - regardless of whether bare hands are used.  There may be cases where the death penalty is right - I don't really approve of it ever but that kind of casual violence is unacceptable.
So, you would not approve of a rape victim attempting to strangle her rapist, in self-defense?

If there is a dispute, I believe that any violence should follow a trial before a jury of your peers. The rules should be made by a body elected by your peers.  The enforcement should be by an institution created by your peers.  These 3 institutions should be separate.  In other words, democracy with all its checks and balances.
And I seek to add one more check: Market competition. Those three institutions are not separate, and cannot be while they all get paid from the same pool of stolen funds, and report to the same hierarchy.

In order for those institutions to be separate, they must be paid for voluntarily by individuals, instead of taking their funds by force, and actually be separate, instead of part of a cartel enforced by violence.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 04:33:14 PM

So, you would not approve of a rape victim attempting to strangle her rapist, in self-defense?

Silly example.  A right to self-defence means she can use reasonable force.  If strangling is reasonable, then its OK.  That's entirely different from wanting to have a right to strangle people who disagree with you.
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2013, 04:39:34 PM

WoW has patched - I'm outta here for couple of days while we are updating Honorbuddy.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2013, 04:45:39 PM

Silly example.  A right to self-defence means she can use reasonable force.  If strangling is reasonable, then its OK.  That's entirely different from wanting to have a right to strangle people who disagree with you.
Agreed, but do read what you said again:
I believe that no-one has the right to strangle a person - regardless of whether bare hands are used.
You didn't qualify it with allowing defense before, why are you backpedaling now?

And you completely ignored the rest of my post. Please stop editing my posts to try and change the subject.  Hypocrite, is what you are.
If there is a dispute, I believe that any violence should follow a trial before a jury of your peers. The rules should be made by a body elected by your peers.  The enforcement should be by an institution created by your peers.  These 3 institutions should be separate.  In other words, democracy with all its checks and balances.
And I seek to add one more check: Market competition. Those three institutions are not separate, and cannot be while they all get paid from the same pool of stolen funds, and report to the same hierarchy.

In order for those institutions to be separate, they must be paid for voluntarily by individuals, instead of taking their funds by force, and actually be separate, instead of part of a cartel enforced by violence.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]  All
  Print  

Jump to: