Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 11:56:39 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wait...Does the March 18th finCen legislation make it illegal to trade bitcoins?  (Read 3875 times)
mjsbuddha (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

yung lean

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 07:44:16 PM

While researching the whole Mt.Gox warrant thing I started reading the actual legislation that they are alleging Mt.Gox has violated. http://www.fincen.gov/news_room/nr/pdf/20130318.pdf

A final type of convertible virtual currency activity involves a de-centralized convertible virtual currency (1) that has no central repository and no single administrator, and (2) that persons may obtain by their own computing or manufacturing effort.
A person that creates units of this convertible virtual currency and uses it to purchase real or virtual goods and services is a user of the convertible virtual currency and not subject to regulation as a money transmitter. By contrast, a person that creates units of convertible virtual currency and sells those units to another person for real currency or its equivalent is engaged in transmission to another location and is a money transmitter. In addition, a person is an exchanger and a money transmitter if the person accepts such de-centralized convertible virtual currency from one person and transmits it to another person as part of the acceptance and transfer of currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency.

Does that mean anyone trading Bitcoins for USD is now breaking the law if they are not registered as a Money Service Business?!
mjsbuddha (OP)

yung lean

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 07:51:30 PM

I'm seriously not trying to spread any FUD here but unless I'm reading it wrong... ANYONE who sell Bitcoins or any other cryptocurrency for fiat money is now considered a 'Money Service Business' and has to register as such with finCen or be subject to the same sort of penalties as Mt.Gox, including fines and up to 5 years in prison.

For real... can anyone point out why I'm wrong on this one? I desperately want to be wrong.
vesper39

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 07:57:05 PM

I'm pretty sure this deals with miners that CREATE bitcoins, thus creating currency. If you buy bitcoin with USD, you are not "creating" it, but merely trading.
mjsbuddha (OP)

yung lean

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 07:58:49 PM

Ok... that makes sense but still... every single miner having to register with finCen isn't much better.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:00:42 PM

USA. Lol.

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:00:57 PM

Ok... that makes sense but still... every single miner having to register with finCen isn't much better.
they cant check that so who cares.

k3t3r

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:01:55 PM

ANYONE mwho sell Bitcoins or any other cryptocurrency for fiat money is now considered a 'Money Service Business' and has to register as such with finCen or be subject to the same sort of penalties as Mt.Gox, including fines and up to 5 years in prison.

For real... can anyone point out why I'm wrong on this one? I desperately want to be wrong.

Anyone = All people of all countries
FinCen etc blah blah = US of Amerika
mjsbuddha (OP)

yung lean

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:03:26 PM

still. even if it only applies to miners in the united states, isn't that a big deal? Am I the only one that thinks so? I almost fell out of my seat when I read that.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:03:59 PM

And this is why scrypt coins are way safer than SHA256 coins, since the govt goons could control dedicated Asic hashers, but never GPUs.

Truth is the new hatespeech.
mjsbuddha (OP)

yung lean

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:06:10 PM

And this is why scrypt coins are way safer than SHA256 coins, since the govt goons could control dedicated Asic hashers, but never GPUs.

It doesn't apply only to bitcoins. It's any currency generated by using computer power
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:06:18 PM

'merican are just ducks. As soon as you come in to land some government worker picks you off with their shotgun! LOL

leopard2
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:08:14 PM

Hey read again. If you mine and sell for goods (say gold) you are fine. You just cannot mine and sell into USD directly. You could also mine and convert into LTC, for example. Then sell the LTC or the gold.

morningtime

Activity: 160

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:09:08 PM

The quote indeed applies to the US only.

Simply put: anyone in the US who mines Bitcoin and sells them for fiat currency is a 'money transmitter'.
Anyone who accepts Bitcoin and sells them for fiat currency is both a money transmitter and a money exchanger.

This law is clearly put in place for restricting Bitcoin. This is a hurdle for Bitcoin becoming mainstream, but also for Ripple or any other crypto-currency.
leopard2
Legendary

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:10:42 PM

It doesn't apply only to bitcoins. It's any currency generated by using computer power

You do not understand. Anyone who buys an asic buys it to create coins right? So they could come to your home and ask, what did you do with your coins? Sell them? Uh oh.

But if you buy a GPU it could just be for gaming. So GPU is not controllable.

morningtime

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:11:08 PM

still. even if it only applies to miners in the united states, isn't that a big deal? Am I the only one that thinks so? I almost fell out of my seat when I read that.

It's a very big deal. It's basically the end of Bitcoin-to-USD-and-back. You will need an official -centralized- company to handle your Bitcoins from now on. My guess is that no company in the US will be able to do the paperwork for Bitcoin. So that's that: the end of Bitcoin in the US.
jimafternoon

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:11:26 PM

It doesn't make it illegal, but you have to comply with the regulations.
jimafternoon

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:12:59 PM

So that's that: the end of Bitcoin in the US.

lol no
mjsbuddha (OP)

yung lean

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:13:15 PM

Hey read again. If you mine and sell for goods (say gold) you are fine. You just cannot mine and sell into USD directly. You could also mine and convert into LTC, for example. Then sell the LTC or the gold.

Again, litecoin counts under this legislation just as much as bitcoin
morningtime

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:14:24 PM

No, you cannot. If you convert BTC to LTC to USD in the US, then you are considered a 'money exchanger'. From now on, only centralized companies are allowed to handle Bitcoin exchanges. Such a company does not exist in the US. Or perhaps only CoinLab?
morningtime

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 08:15:40 PM

It doesn't make it illegal, but you have to comply with the regulations.

Correct, but no individual is allowed to exchange Bitcoin in the US anymore. You have to be a registered Money Service Business. Currently there are none?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: