Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:31:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to create new Electrum Wallet on Same Computer?  (Read 675 times)
viking02 (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

🌟 COMSA ICO: 10/02/17 🌟

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 06:08:55 PM

Hey all got a question.  I have bitcoins in electrum.  I have the 12 word phrase etc. 

However i would like to create a new electrum wallet with a new 12 word phrase etc.  Can someone tell me the best way to do this?  Would i need to send the bitcoin to blockchain first?

The thing is if i create a new electrum wallet, does that remove the old one from it?  The thing is i want to create a new wallet where i have a new and different 12 word phrase for electrum etc.

,,,,╓╖µpp╖╖,,,,
                         ,╓g▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄µ╖          ,╖
                     ,╓@▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓Ñ╖    ,@▓▌
                  ,á▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓µ╫▓▓▓▌
                ╓@▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▀╜╙            '╙▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
              ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▀`                       ╙▀▓▓▓███████▌
             @▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀`            ,,,,,         ,g▓███████▀`
           ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▀         ,µ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▓▄@, ,@▓███████▀
          ]▓▓▓▓███▓`       ╓▄▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█████████████▓╜
         ]▓▓▓▓█▓█╝       ╓▓█████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████████████▀╜
         ▓▓▓▓███▌       ╙▓███████▓▒       "▀▓██████▀`
        ╫▓▓▓███▌          "▀████████▄        '▓██▀
        ▓█▓███▓▒            `▀████████▄,       `
       ]▓█████▌                ╙████████▓,
       ]▓█████▌                  ╙▓█▓█▓▓▓█▓╖
       ]▓█████▌                    ╙▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╖
        ▓█████▓[            ,,       `▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
        ▓██████[            ╓@        ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╖
        ╠██████▓          ╓▓▓▓▓m        ╙▓█▓▓▓▓▓█▓@
         ▓█████╜       ,g▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄╖╖,,,╓╖▓▓██▓▓▓▓▓▓
         └▓█▓╜       ,@▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓████████████▓▓█▀
          '"       ╓@▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▓▓▓▓█████████████▀╙        ,
                 ╓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╜    ╙▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▀▀▀▀╜          ╓▓▓▓╖
               g▓█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓`                          ,g▓▓▓▓▓▓▓w
            ,g▓██████████▓▄,                    ,╓@▓▓█▓▓▓█▓██╜
            ▓████████████████▓▄▄p╖,,     ,,╓µ▄▄▓██████████▓╜
            ▓█████╜╙▀███████████████████████████████████▀`
            ▓██▓╜     "▀▀███████████████████████████▀╜`
            ▓▀`            ╙▀▀▀███████████████▀▀▀"
. COMSA
ICO: Oct 2 - Nov 6
█████
▄▄▄
███
███
▀▀▀
███
███
███
▀▀▀
███
███
███
█████
█████
▄▄▄▄▄
█████
█████
▀▀▀▀▀
█████
█████
█████
▀▀▀▀▀
█████
█████
█████
█████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 06:16:37 PM

Hey all got a question.  I have bitcoins in electrum.  I have the 12 word phrase etc. 

However i would like to create a new electrum wallet with a new 12 word phrase etc.  Can someone tell me the best way to do this?  Would i need to send the bitcoin to blockchain first?

The thing is if i create a new electrum wallet, does that remove the old one from it?  The thing is i want to create a new wallet where i have a new and different 12 word phrase for electrum etc.

Electrum is designed to support multi-wallet function.
Click "file">"new/restore", give your new wallet a name and follow the same installation steps you did previously.
viking02 (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 06:46:30 PM

Click "file">"new/restore", give your new wallet a name and follow the same installation steps you did previously.

Hi there when i do this... let say i call it wallet b for example.

So that means i would have 2 electrum programs on my desktop?  Or i would still have 1 of them but 2 different wallets?  So when i open up electrum from my desktop which one would it open from then?

Do people here have more than 1 electrum wallet?  And if so, why do they?

,,,,╓╖µpp╖╖,,,,
. COMSA
█████
▄▄▄
███
███
▀▀▀
███
███
███
▀▀▀
███
███
███
█████
█████
▄▄▄▄▄
█████
█████
▀▀▀▀▀
█████
█████
█████
▀▀▀▀▀
█████
█████
█████
█████
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 06:58:33 PM

So that means i would have 2 electrum programs on my desktop?  Or i would still have 1 of them but 2 different wallets?  So when i open up electrum from my desktop which one would it open from then?

There are many people that will have 2 electrum wallets.
For example:
You may want an electrum wallet for your phone that you can control and fund from your computer - you need two wallets on the computer because, if you have a large amount, say 10BTC you don't want to be carrying it around in your pocket. Instead, you'd carry 0.5 or 1 btc and have the opportunity to send more bitcoins to it later. (much better than trying to remember a 24-35 character address to put into your computer).

You will have only ONE wallet that you can see at one time.
If you wanted to get past this, you could always download another copy of electrum again and load each electrum program with a different wallet file. If that doesn't work, then I know you can download two different versions of the wallet software and use each of those for each wallet.
viking02 (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 07:07:56 PM

For example:
You may want an electrum wallet for your phone that you can control and fund from your computer - you need two wallets on the computer because, if you have a large amount, say 10BTC you don't want to be carrying it around in your pocket. Instead, you'd carry 0.5 or 1 btc and have the opportunity to send more bitcoins to it later. (much better than trying to remember a 24-35 character address to put into your computer).

If you wanted to get past this, you could always download another copy of electrum again and load each electrum program with a different wallet file. If that doesn't work, then I know you can download two different versions of the wallet software and use each of those for each wallet.

Hi there bit confused with this.  There is an electrum wallet on iphone IOS?  I use a computer and an iphone but i dont have bitcoin on iphone.  So when i send bitcoin, i have to use my computer which has electrum etc.

But based on what i mentioned, i want 1 electrum program on my computer.  But have 2 different wallets right?  Thus the new wallet will have a new 12 word phrase?  So when i open electrum up from my desktop, which wallet is it going to open?  The first one or the second one?  Will it give me a choice like you want to open wallet 1 or 2 etc?

,,,,╓╖µpp╖╖,,,,
. COMSA
█████
▄▄▄
███
███
▀▀▀
███
███
███
▀▀▀
███
███
███
█████
█████
▄▄▄▄▄
█████
█████
▀▀▀▀▀
█████
█████
█████
▀▀▀▀▀
█████
█████
█████
█████
Coin-Keeper

Activity: 758
Merit: 606

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 07:10:39 PM

Electrum opens the LAST wallet you had open before you closed it.  I have at least a half dozen wallets running on one Electrum installation.  You could have many more.  I control Electrum with TOR port 9150 through the network option.  I do that so I can mount Electrum before connecting to TOR.  This way Electrum mounts and I can see which wallet I am going to work with.  During this process there is NO internet connection to any server.  Once I get the wallet open that I want to use (no others open) I then connect to TOR, which immediately places me on an onion Electrum server.  I do this so there never is a connection between any of my wallets being online at the same time using the same IP.  Make sense?  I know this is way past your beginning question, but I went on here trying to show you how you can control so much with Electrum and some knowledge.

BTC: 1PYSBbuKM3kW19xe9TXJQfq64rPhd8XorF
Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 07:19:42 PM

For example:

Hi there bit confused with this.  There is an electrum wallet on iphone IOS?  I use a computer and an iphone but i dont have bitcoin on iphone.  So when i send bitcoin, i have to use my computer which has electrum etc.

But based on what i mentioned, i want 1 electrum program on my computer.  But have 2 different wallets right?  Thus the new wallet will have a new 12 word phrase?  So when i open electrum up from my desktop, which wallet is it going to open?  The first one or the second one?  Will it give me a choice like you want to open wallet 1 or 2 etc?

I'm not sure they do it for iPhone, they make it or android and that's what the majority of people use.

Electrum opens the LAST wallet you had open before you closed it.

This is correct, but it's very simple to switch between wallets.
All you need to do is click file>recently open>*walletName* and your other wallet opens
Coin-Keeper

Activity: 758
Merit: 606

View Profile
August 07, 2017, 07:28:01 PM

I edited in some OPsec stuff to my post above.  For many the IP part of my OPsec may mean little.  But for others that are trying to run wallets with no apparent relationship to each other, it might clarify how to accomplish doing so.

BTC: 1PYSBbuKM3kW19xe9TXJQfq64rPhd8XorF
Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: