Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 04:05:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Declaring over $10k worth of cryptocurrency when flying  (Read 3322 times)
futile-resistance

Activity: 840
Merit: 516

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 09:32:12 PM

At any airport around the world it's quite normal that if you are departing or entering a country with more than $10k currency, you have to declare it.

Do peeps declare their cryptocurrency when they are travelling? All these peeps walking around with over $10k in cryptocurrency on a physical hard wallet or a soft wallet on their computers are leaving/entering the country with currency. Wonder what would happen if they didn't declare it and were found out...

With more than 10k in cash.
Nobody is checking your debit cards or credit cards.
Nobody is checking your banking account.

Furthermore every country advises you to have your money in a bank account not cash on your person.
Bitcoin acts like virtual money.

Besides, technically speaking bitcoins aren't in your wallet.

To my own understanding, I don’t really think anyone should be declaring anything about crypto currency. It says if you’re entering any country with $10k worth of fiat/cash, you should declare it. Let’s assume I have over $10k worth of crypto, and I decide to be making withdrawal with crypto debit card, do you think it has anything to do with anyone ?

No it doesn’t. It’s the same as having over $10k worth of money in MasterCard, and traveling with just my card.It has nothing to do with anyone, so you shouldn’t be declaring it.
Blocken

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Crypto Lobbyist

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2017, 10:33:08 PM

Would you declare a $50,000 domain name if you had the password for for registrar account? That's a virtual asset as well.

Excellent analogy.

Crypto Advocate. Talking to peeps. *Not Lawyer
Block¤Nebula
Support my lobbying: 15CUf3MzfCCyHX638c1x47fg43A
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1348

Don't let others control your BTC -> self custody

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 08:16:24 PM

Would you declare a $50,000 domain name if you had the password for for registrar account? That's a virtual asset as well.
And would you declare your youtube account that's making a couple thousand $ a month, or a brand name that you own, or royalties?

To answer your question, yes, I would declare it in my yearly tax report, had it brought me any profits in that year.
No, I wouldn't declare it before boarding the plane. They don't want to know about all your assets, just valuables you're carrying with you like cash, jewelry, expensive art pieces. If it was otherwise we'd be forced to report all the cash we got on our bank account and how much our internet business has made recently.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
TrumpD

Activity: 602
Merit: 265

View Profile
August 16, 2017, 08:25:11 PM

I wouldn't, I pay enough taxes to the authorities as it is, why should I declare assets that the authorities don't even know exist? As it is, many airport authorities have know idea what bitcoin is anyway, how would they calculate the tax?
kkeylb

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 26, 2017, 02:12:18 AM

Like when the tsa claim to have seen some bitcoins in a mans bag? XD Technically it's not on me, it's everywhere, so why would I claim anything?
DanetonBit

Activity: 14

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 12:47:57 PM

I cant really see the sense in this...but some laws too are meaningless
Blocken

Activity: 70

Crypto Lobbyist

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2017, 07:13:05 PM

I got an idea. Why not carry a coin purse with some symbolic bitcoins? They can say bitcoin on them. See what they say when you show them to them.  Grin

Crypto Advocate. Talking to peeps. *Not Lawyer
Block¤Nebula
Support my lobbying: 15CUf3MzfCCyHX638c1x47fg43A
Gersiana

Activity: 11

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 07:31:23 PM

Ok, I'm not sure which country you are flying into or out of, so I'm going to use US and Canada because I know this one. You need to look at the legal definitions of what you need to declare when they ask for currency and monetary instruments.

I have included definitions and links below, but neither the US or Canada under the current legal definitions would require the claim.

Even if they did, the worst they can do is seize your physical wallet, and since you should have a backup and you won't need to provide them the password you can just restore.

United States : https://www.fincen.gov/sites/default/files/shared/fin105_cmir.pdf

Currency:  The coin and paper money of the United States or any other country that is (1) designated as legal tender and that  (2) circulates and (3) is customarily accepted as a medium of exchange in the country of issuance.

Monetary Instruments— (1) Coin or currency of the United States or of any other country, (2) traveler’s checks in any form, (3) negotiable instruments (including checks, promissory notes, and money orders) in bearer form, endorsed without restriction, made out to a fictitious payee, or otherwise in such form that title thereto passes upon delivery, (4) incomplete instruments (including checks, promissory notes, and money orders) that are signed but on which the name of the payee has been omitted, and (5) securities or stock in bearer form or otherwise in such form that title thereto passes upon delivery. Monetary instruments do not include (i) checks or money orders made payable to the order of a named person which have not been endorsed or which bear restrictive endorsemenst, (ii) warehouse receipts, or (iii) bills of lading.

Canada :  http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e677-eng.html

Definitions
"Currency"
means current coins and bank notes issued by the Bank of Canada and coins and banks notes in the currency of countries other than Canada.

"Monetary Instruments"
means (a) securities, including stocks, bonds, debentures and treasury bills, in bearer form or in such other form as title to them passes upon delivery; and (b) negotiable instruments in bearer form, including banker's drafts, cheques, traveller's cheques and money orders, other than
(i) warehouse receipts or bills of lading, and
(ii) negotiable instruments that bear restrictive endorsements or a stamp for the purposes of clearing or are made payable to a named person and have not been endorsed.

DanetonBit

Activity: 14

View Profile
September 11, 2017, 10:31:30 AM

I do not really see any reason in this..it is my sincere hope that government regulation does not stifle innovation.
suppersz

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

There is a day to be born, and another to die

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 12:40:20 AM

As far as I am concerned I do not have any bitcoin "on" me while flying. I will not be declaring it.

darylalban

Activity: 184
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 02:52:19 AM

What a good question. How would you declare it? Unless you're carrying a cold wallet, right? But then, that means the government would have to know what one of those looks like in luggage...
teddyelwyn

Activity: 268

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 02:54:46 AM

Yea, I agree. virtual assets you don't have to declare. Unless you're cashing out $10k.
alexcopper

Activity: 280
Merit: 12

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 03:49:16 AM

One day the machines TSA has will be able to scan for hard wallets lol.
akeegan

Activity: 236
Merit: 4

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 03:53:19 AM

Even if they tried doing it, they can't. Can you imagine trying to explain crypto to a TSA agent? lol  Cheesy
jdarren

Activity: 296

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 03:55:04 AM

I don't think the airports/countries consider crypto as some you'd have to declare because it's a digital asset. Bu tone day they might
rmilly

Activity: 312
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 03:58:02 AM

I agree. It's not on me, so I'm not going to declare it.
cvan

Activity: 125

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 04:06:50 AM

Nope! No need to declare something that you're not carrying. Digital assets FTW  Wink
awilliams

Activity: 191

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 04:08:50 AM

Think about it this way: you have $10k in cryptocurrency, but you also have debit cards and credit cards. Thos all have limits, but the government isn't going to make you declare those.
suppersz

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

There is a day to be born, and another to die

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 11:37:19 AM

LOL look at all those blatant multiple account posts right there, totally not the same person

veleten
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1106

View Profile
September 12, 2017, 03:06:40 PM

don't bother:bitcoin is,in most cases,grey area in the country you are travelling to
even in the US there are no unified rules and the laws vary from state to state
so trying to declare your coins would be akin to sending a letter to IRS if you find a 100$ bill on the street-more headache than you bargained for
they would not know what to do with that
besides,technically,you do not "own" bitcoins,you have rights to transfer them around
so just relax and fly and try not to think about a possible full cavity search  Grin

▄▄████▄▄
      ▄▄███▀    ▀███▄▄
   ▄████████▄▄▄▄████████▄
  ▀██████████████████████▀
▐█▄▄ ▀▀████▀    ▀████▀▀ ▄▄██
▐█████▄▄ ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀ ▄▄██▀  █
▐██ ▀████▄▄ ▀██▀ ▄▄████  ▄██
▐██  ███████▄  ▄████████████
▐██  █▌▐█ ▀██  ██████▀  ████
▐██  █▌▐█  ██  █████  ▄█████
 ███▄ ▌▐█  ██  ████████████▀
  ▀▀████▄ ▄██  ██▀  ████▀▀