Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:40:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Making it public: I have moved the disputed 643.2771 BTC into an escrow account  (Read 17003 times)
toasty (OP)

Activity: 90
Merit: 12

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 08:58:58 PM

The 643.2771BTC I withdrew from Mt Gox before trading was halted has been used to question my motives. To try to prove my intentions, I have moved the entire balance to an escrow account at Clearcoin:

https://clearcoin.appspot.com/status/r_H5PyEWwb5wEa8RTbrMTY8k

I cannot retrieve them for a month now. The options are:

1) I press the release button and donate them to the Bitcoin Faucet

2) The FBI accepts "Kevin logged in within 15 minutes of the attacker" as enough evidence to arrest me and seize my wallet as evidence and/or I end up convicted and the FBI buys some new socks and night lights for the whole office with the balance.

3) One month from now, when things have calmed down and I am obviously not arrested, they'll be returned to me and hopefully by then we will have determined their rightful home.

It would be an incredible show of faith if Mt Gox would volunteer to do something similar, but I'm not making this demand off them.
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Enochian

Activity: 327
Merit: 124

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:05:07 PM

1) I press the release button and donate them to the Bitcoin Fountain

I think the word you're grepping for here is "Faucet."

toasty (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:06:34 PM

1) I press the release button and donate them to the Bitcoin Fountain

I think the word you're grepping for here is "Faucet."

Can you tell I've barely slept for two days? Smiley

Edited original post to look smarter than I am.
dinker

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:07:05 PM

Petition to FREE KEVIN!!

Help Me Help You Donations:
14kP6tNtrz3woESs9nEE5aDB81QTybGyyZ
airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:07:50 PM

Kevin is a class act.

Kevin : what were you suggesting mtgox could do as a show of good faith?  ( aside from be 100% honest )

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
DamienBlack

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:09:58 PM

Why not return them? They are just going to be subtracted from your mt gox balance anyway. Or did you not have that much before the hackcrash?
HaRRo

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 09:10:31 PM

Kevin, was right in this case.
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:14:53 PM

Just return them.

But tell them you have a 95% transfer fee.

Be humble!
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 09:16:22 PM

Why not return them? They are just going to be subtracted from your mt gox balance anyway. Or did you not have that much before the hackcrash?

Why should he, they are rightfully his

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 09:18:08 PM

Kevin, was right in this case.

No offense, but your your word really isn't helping his case.

I Can't really see what MT can do as a similar show of faith, Except, you know, Stop dodging.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
DamienBlack

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:18:56 PM

Why should he, they are rightfully his

The trades are being rolled back, but withdrawals and deposits aren't. He withdrew 600+, it will be subtracted from his balance.
lonestranger

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

I like long walks on the beach, shaving my head...

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:20:44 PM

I end up convicted and the FBI buys some new socks and night lights for the whole office with the balance.

...more like colombian cocaine and hookers, but I digress...
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:25:24 PM

The 643.2771BTC I withdrew from Mt Gox before trading was halted has been used to question my motives. To try to prove my intentions, I have moved the entire balance to an escrow account at Clearcoin:

https://clearcoin.appspot.com/status/r_H5PyEWwb5wEa8RTbrMTY8k

I cannot retrieve them for a month now. The options are:

1) I press the release button and donate them to the Bitcoin Faucet

2) The FBI accepts "Kevin logged in within 15 minutes of the attacker" as enough evidence to arrest me and seize my wallet as evidence and/or I end up convicted and the FBI buys some new socks and night lights for the whole office with the balance.

3) One month from now, when things have calmed down and I am obviously not arrested, they'll be returned to me and hopefully by then we will have determined their rightful home.

It would be an incredible show of faith if Mt Gox would volunteer to do something similar, but I'm not making this demand off them.

Lemme see if i got this right:

With number one the money, stolen or otherwise, gets sent to charity.

With number two the money automaticly goes back to your wallet and whoever has access to it will have the choice of what to do with them

And with number 3, if all clears out, one month from now the money gets returned to the rightful owner whoever that is.

Is that it?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 09:30:51 PM

Lemme see if i got this right:

With number one the money, stolen or otherwise, gets sent to charity.

With number two the money automaticly goes back to your wallet and whoever has access to it will have the choice of what to do with them

And with number 3, if all clears out, one month from now the money gets returned to the rightful owner whoever that is.

Is that it?

Yeah, seems about right.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
£

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:31:42 PM

I am heading over to the Bitcoin faceut with my sleeping bag and camp stove (and my 600 Gmail accounts).

Wink

toasty (OP)

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:32:09 PM

Correct. I can't just run off with it now, sell it or anything like that. If the coins are actually "stolen" and it's even possible for them to be considered "stolen" in a case like this, they're being held by an uninterested third party right now. I want everyone to move past this point so we can figure out what really happened in the much larger picture. Whose account actually was compromised and why, how we are going to proceed, etc.

bitplane

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2011, 09:33:14 PM

MtGox already publicly said they wouldn't pursue you for the BTC you withdrew, but your account would be in negative balance. You should have just kept them
DamienBlack

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:33:51 PM

Correct. I can't just run off with it now, sell it or anything like that. If the coins are actually "stolen" and it's even possible for them to be considered "stolen" in a case like this, they're being held by an uninterested third party right now. I want everyone to move past this point so we can figure out what really happened in the much larger picture. Whose account actually was compromised and why, how we are going to proceed, etc.

All said and done this seems a good move. I applaud you.
bbjansen

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:34:23 PM

Although I am new to the community and been only a Bitcoin follower and trader for a week now I have analyzed and studied many articles and papers about Bitcoin. I follow the market closely and I have ready dozens of articles, threads, and comments relating to the Mt. Gox incident. As a web developer and using my logic my personal opinion is that Mt. Gox fucked up big time when we look at their website security and how they are handling this. Although we can't verify if the account with the 500k Bitcoins really existed or not does not matter when you look at the dispute between Mt. Gox and Kevin.

So far Kevin has done nothing wrong, just like anyone would do in this situation and tried to buy as many Bitcoins as possible for .01 cents and than tried to withdraw them as fast as possible before the market and Mt. Gox crashed. If I had 3000 dollars on my Mt. Gox account I would have done the same freaking thing. Some people argue that it's impossible that Kevin was able to place a bid after the hacking started as the website was to laggy or down. This is different for every PC and totally depends on the connection, DNS, location, server, etc. A website may be down or slower for someone than for someone else.

If is telling the truth I believe that he should be allowed to keep the Bitcoins he legally bought even if the account with the 500k Bitcoins was hacked. In a real exchange the same thing would happen. An exchange cant revert hours of trades back just because one account got hacked. No matter how much money there is on it. If Mt. Gox reverts all the traders because of this than I want to see them do the same thing when my account gets hacked and my 10 Bitcoins get sold.
CharlieContent

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2011, 09:35:57 PM

You're a class act Kevin, you've been totally honest this whole time and now you've put this up to prove it. You're clearly ten times the man that MagicalTux is, the lying sack of shit who fucked us all over.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: