Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 10:34:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: *Is this possible? PiCoin! Calculates digits of pi with your computing power!*  (Read 4249 times)
Entz

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

I not use any kind of messenger beware of scammers

View Profile
August 15, 2013, 09:05:43 PM

When I was a little kid my mother told me not to stare into the sun.

digitalindustry

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2013, 10:48:18 AM

when i was a little kid i stared into the sun.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
heatgsm

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 01:08:32 PM

Come up with something really useful...what`s the point of knowing the Pi number to 0.trillion !? Btw there are numbers far more important than Pi.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
August 16, 2013, 01:31:05 PM

Calculating pi is not really a useful purpose. It has been calculated to 10 trillion (10^13) digits already. Practical use of increased accuracy in even the most precise applications is completely gone after 30-40 digits.

edit: Additionally, the whole idea behind crypto-currency is to have a task that is hard to perform, but easy to check. Finding a block that has certain properties when hashed is very difficult, but once found, it's simple to verify that the result is correct (just a single hash-operation on the found block, which is very fast). There is no way to verify whether the 28389283751th decimal of pi is really 4 or whether i'm just cheating (unless you have a table with all digits, in which case a miner can just use that).

There's a reason why hash-functions are used for all crypto-currencies and simply throwing out the "useless hash-computations" and replacing it with something else isn't going to work.
The basic principle of Proof of Work scheme is - hard to do the work and easy to check that it is done right. There is no easy way to check that newly discovered digits of PI are not just taken from the air, so it will not work.

This
Stop dreaming

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: