Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:49:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin vs SegWit2x - after split price predictions  (Read 5364 times)
cpfreeplz
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 06:08:52 PM

Nothing bad happened after the BCC split, in fact the price increased and we even got free coins.

So I guess there will be nothing bad in a SegWit2x fork, and we will have more free coins to hold.

There certainly will be if the present percentage of miners pushes it through. Corecoin would have to change PoW to stand a chance of being usable. It would slow to a crawl if it lost that much mining power.

Exactly. The main difference with BCH is that Bitmain starting mining it right off the bat (because it's their altcoin). Whoever mines this old version of bitcoin will get kind of screwed in the end, as it'll be worthless. There's no point in hanging onto old tech at this point.
sindikat

Activity: 364
Merit: 106

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 06:18:22 PM

The incoming contentious HF on 1 Nov is not the same as BCH split. Jihan Wu admitted he wanted an altcoin and the community was ok with that. This time each party will claim that 2x and core are the 'real' bitcoin. But there is place for only one king of the cryptocurency! If we have 2 kings we can't expect the upward price trend to continue anymore. More likely, the 2 new bitcoins will share the fate of BCH trading from 100$ to 1000$ then back to 300$ each.
I do not want this to happen. Me and many friends here want the bitcoin that exist today. Do not change because we are very comfortable using bitcoin here. This change could be messing up everything because bitcoin prices can be very uncontrollable. For me this change can destroy bitcoin as the most popular digital currency today.
I think leave it as it is not a good idea. What has become of bitcoin? You consider it a currency? Then you need to spend or earn. Wear signatures is good but it is a promotion and not earnings. The Internet even equipment for mining bitcoins is difficult to buy for coins. Definitely need to change the situation. Just need to be able to negotiate and to prevent the creation of monopolies. If you remain everything as it is a dead end.
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 06:25:24 PM

What is the point of segwit2x after Bitcoin Cash? AFAIK, everything they wanted to put into practice is already there.

SW entails a lot more than extra capacity for transaction volume...

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
ardentvolcanoes

Activity: 1050
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 07:25:18 PM

Nothing bad happened after the BCC split, in fact the price increased and we even got free coins.

So I guess there will be nothing bad in a SegWit2x fork, and we will have more free coins to hold.

There certainly will be if the present percentage of miners pushes it through. Corecoin would have to change PoW to stand a chance of being usable. It would slow to a crawl if it lost that much mining power.

Exactly. The main difference with BCH is that Bitmain starting mining it right off the bat (because it's their altcoin). Whoever mines this old version of bitcoin will get kind of screwed in the end, as it'll be worthless. There's no point in hanging onto old tech at this point.
believers nor those who only wants to take advantage are those who's still mining this coin so we can't be assured what will be the
future of this coin bitcoin already gain popularity so nothing will stop or replace it for now.
Wexlike
Legendary

Activity: 1473
Merit: 1086

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 08:54:22 PM

SegWit2x developers and miners are not backing down from their intention to hardfork in November, while the upcoming update for Bitcoin Core client will be automatically disconnecting SegWit2x nodes.
The possibility of chain split looks very high, which raises a few questions.

How exchanges will be naming Bitcoin chains after split - will they name one as a Bitcoin, or rename both to something like Bitcoin Core and Bitcoin2x?

What will be the prices for those coins? How their value will change after a few months?

Will combined value of both coins increase or decrease?

in my honest opinion,everything will be same like what they did before.
look at it back when the chain split,everbody buying Bitcoin in order to get an airdrop from the split.
afterwards,people starting to sell the airdrop aka Bitcoin Cash to buy more Bitcoin.
So,what will happen in the next chain split again ?
i guess we will see something like this again,hopefully it will because no matter what will happen as long Bitcoin price surge and rise.
everything is will be fine,
and i don't care about other coin from the splitting.no only me obviously many people will think same like me

I don't think the situation of the BTC/2X fork is as clear as the situation of the BTC/BCC fork.
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2111

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 10:44:23 PM

What is the point of segwit2x after Bitcoin Cash? AFAIK, everything they wanted to put into practice is already there.

Also note that we're looking at different interest groups.

BCH caters to big-block purists, who don't want segwit at all and have the opinion that on-chain scaling is sufficient. 2X caters to people that do want segwit, yet have the opinion that segwit alone is not sufficient, making an additional blocksize increase necessary. One might also argue that 2X tries to be the unifying proposition by making a compromise between both sides of the blockchain debate, which may be interesting in itself.
hatshepsut93 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 2148

View Profile
August 11, 2017, 11:29:05 PM

BCH caters to big-block purists, who don't want segwit at all and have the opinion that on-chain scaling is sufficient. 2X caters to people that do want segwit, yet have the opinion that segwit alone is not sufficient, making an additional blocksize increase necessary. One might also argue that 2X tries to be the unifying proposition by making a compromise between both sides of the blockchain debate, which may be interesting in itself.

There's a common misconception that this is a debate only about scaling, while actually the major point of disagreement is security. Core is not arguing that bigger blocks, and especially bigger blocks with SegWit would quickly boost Bitcoin's capacity and lower fees for some time, but they believe that this will dramatically reduce number of full nodes, making Bitcoin less decentralized and secure. Small number of full nodes will make Bitcoin weak to government attempts to shut it down as well as different kinds of double-spending attacks.
HeRetiK
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2017, 12:34:06 AM

There's a common misconception that this is a debate only about scaling, while actually the major point of disagreement is security. Core is not arguing that bigger blocks, and especially bigger blocks with SegWit would quickly boost Bitcoin's capacity and lower fees for some time, but they believe that this will dramatically reduce number of full nodes, making Bitcoin less decentralized and secure. Small number of full nodes will make Bitcoin weak to government attempts to shut it down as well as different kinds of double-spending attacks.

Ironically both sides claim that the other side's approach is less secure and would endanger decentralization. From what I've read the main arguments by Core against Segwitx2 were less about the blocksize (the increase being less extreme than BCH or unlimited), but rather about the development, testing and deployment approach (eg. little being known about the intricacies of hardforks, too close a deployment date, non-existent or questionable replay-protection). I might be wrong though, maybe even a relatively conservative block increase to a total of 4mb (2mb + 2mb segwit) is already seen as problematic in itself.
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
August 12, 2017, 08:35:36 PM

Indeed. The BCC chain had so little hash power (and accounted for it with the emergency difficulty readjustment) that it was widely viewed as an altcoin. The November fork may test the premise of whether any hard fork is an altcoin in the eyes of most of the network. And if miners decide to hard fork to 2x (or 8x as the case may be), then we may have two altcoins -- Core (POW change fork) and Segwit2x. What a shitshow that would be...

CyberKuro

Activity: 798
Merit: 506

View Profile
August 12, 2017, 11:53:56 PM

This debate seems will never end regards bitcoin scale solution, and if segwit2x really force 2Mb hard fork and chain split happen, then its name should be different from just "Bitcoin", so people will recognize it and hopefully we could get another free coin. Well, we do know what will happen with free coin on arrival when exchanges allows it being traded. BItcoin may fall to $3000 - $2200 as the lowest price.
exstasie
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 01:22:27 AM

This debate seems will never end regards bitcoin scale solution, and if segwit2x really force 2Mb hard fork and chain split happen, then its name should be different from just "Bitcoin", so people will recognize it and hopefully we could get another free coin. Well, we do know what will happen with free coin on arrival when exchanges allows it being traded. BItcoin may fall to $3000 - $2200 as the lowest price.

In the worst case (unlike with Bitcoin Cash), there could be great contention about which coin is Bitcoin after the November fork. I think it's difficult to argue that legacy Bitcoin could be anything but Bitcoin. But there are massive business interests (wallets, exchanges, services, miners, mining chip producers and even GBTC's creator) backing Segwit2x. They have a lot of pull from a PR standpoint, and they have a lot of money to market their coin.

Interestingly, the implementation is called "BTC1." I wonder why that is? Tongue

Silberman
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1345

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 06:07:59 PM

SegWit2x developers and miners are not backing down from their intention to hardfork in November, while the upcoming update for Bitcoin Core client will be automatically disconnecting SegWit2x nodes.

How exchanges will be naming Bitcoin chains after split - will they name one as a Bitcoin, or rename both to something like Bitcoin Core and Bitcoin2x?

What will be the prices for those coins? How their value will change after a few months?

I do not think the exchanges are going to rename the original coin in any way or form, bitcoin is just bitcoin and that is never going to change, the ones that need remaining are the altcoins based on bitcoin, personally I will prefer B2X for the name of the coin or its symbol because after a hard fork that coin is no longer bitcoin but something else, an altcoin.

▄██▄▄                          ▄████
             ▄█▀   ▀▀▄▄                    ▄█▀▀   ▀█▄
            █▀         ▀▄                ▄█▀        █▄
           █▀   ▄█▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀      ▀▄   █▄
          ▄█   ▄█▀███▄▄                          █   ▀█
          █    ▀   ▀████▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        █   █▄
          █         ▀████████████████████████▄▄▄      ██
         ██        ▄██████████████████████████████▄    ▀█▄
        ▄█▀     ▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████████▄▄   ▀█▄
      ▄█▀     █████████████              ▀▀████████████▄   █▄
    ▄█▀        ▄██████████████▀▀█▄    ▄▄     █  ▀██ ▀███▄   ██
   ███▄▄     ▄███████████▀▀           ▀██▄        ▀  ▀▀     █▀
     █▀     ███████████▀                               ▄▀   ██
    █▀    ▄██████████▀                       ▄▄▄       ▀   ▄█
   █▀    ▄██████████▀           ▄▄      ▀▀████████▄         ▀██▄
  █▀    ▄███████████          ▄██▀   ▀▀█▄   ▀███████▄▄▄██▄▄   ▀██▄
 █▀     ▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ████      ▀██▄  ▀████████   ▀▀▀    ▀█▄
▄█              ▀▀█           ████  ▄▄█▄▄███▄  ▀██████           ▀█▄
██▄▄▄▄▄                       █████  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀████▄           ██
       ▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄                █████▄▄▄            ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▄██
               ▀▀▀▄▄           ▀█████████████████▄▄          ▄▀▀▀
                    ▀▀▄▄         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▀
                        ▀
.BETFURY..
|
         ▄▄▄▄▄████▀▄▄▄
      ▄███▀▀▀█▀▀  ▄████▄
    ▄██     ▀       ▀▀███▄
  ▄██   ▄██▄    ▄█▄   ▀████▄
 ██▀    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀█     ▀███
██▀   ▄███   ███▄▄▄█▄    ▀███
██    ███  ▄█▀▀█▀▀███     ███
██    ███▄▄██ █▄█▄ ███    ██▀
██        ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀     ██
██▄   ▄  ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄  ▄▄     ▄█▀
 ██▄█▀  █▄▄█ █▄  █ ▄▄   ▄██
  ███   █▄▄█ █   █▄▄█  ▄█▀
   ████▄             ▄██▀
    ▀█▀█▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
       ▀▀▀████▀▀▀▀
WIN REAL CRYPTO IN THE REAL DROP
JOIN $20,000,000 CRYPTODROP
|Join Fury Game
Get Free Crypto
BFG, USDT, BTC, ETH
|▄████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
████▀▀▀▀▀██████████▀▀▀████
████▄ ▀█▄ ▀██████▀  ▄█████
██████▄ ▀█▄ ▀██▀  ▄███████
████████▄ ▀█▄   ▄█████████
██████████▄ ██ ▀██████████
█████████▀   ▀█▄ ▀████████
███████▀  ▄██▄ ▀█▄ ▀██████
█████▀  ▄██████▄ ▀█▄ ▀████
████▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄▄▄████
 ████████████████████████
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
...PLAY...
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 06:44:04 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2017, 07:03:54 PM by cellard

Bitfury is already having second thoughts about the New York Agreement. You will see the first mining camps start defecting from the agreement after segwit locks in.

In any case, it's irrelevant. Whales will dump on GarzikCoin, killing the price and thus forcing them to go back to mining the legacy chain. GarzikCoin doesn't stand a chance and will become another dumb altcoin, and everyone involved will be forever hated because they will be responsible of crashing the price in the middle of an all time high for no reason other than rushing a hardfork for an unnecessary blocksize increase while putting Jeff Garzik, someone that works in a blockchain spying tool, in charge.
exstasie
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 10:17:55 PM

Bitfury is already having second thoughts about the New York Agreement. You will see the first mining camps start defecting from the agreement after segwit locks in.

In any case, it's irrelevant. Whales will dump on GarzikCoin, killing the price and thus forcing them to go back to mining the legacy chain. GarzikCoin doesn't stand a chance and will become another dumb altcoin, and everyone involved will be forever hated because they will be responsible of crashing the price in the middle of an all time high for no reason other than rushing a hardfork for an unnecessary blocksize increase while putting Jeff Garzik, someone that works in a blockchain spying tool, in charge.

I think that if Core is resolute about opposing the November fork, that there will be many defectors from the NYA agreement. I don't think anyone really wants a big network split, so if some major signatories back out, we could see a major pushback against the entire Segwit2x plan.

On the other hand, we could have the forces of major miners / chip producers like Bitmain and major businesses who want cheap on-chain fees (like Bitpay) pushing for a fork. It'll be interesting to see what happens as we approach November.

cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 02:41:09 PM

I think that if Core is resolute about opposing the November fork, that there will be many defectors from the NYA agreement. I don't think anyone really wants a big network split, so if some major signatories back out, we could see a major pushback against the entire Segwit2x plan.

On the other hand, we could have the forces of major miners / chip producers like Bitmain and major businesses who want cheap on-chain fees (like Bitpay) pushing for a fork. It'll be interesting to see what happens as we approach November.

Let's just wait I see. Im sure miners will defect from the NYA agreement, Bitfury will be one of the first, and once one deffects, other will follow.

A lot of people have learned a lesson with the Bitcoin Cash disaster. Everyone that got involved in mining Bitcoin Cash has lost millions compared to if they kept missing the legacy chain.

Everyone involved in segwit2x will be responsible for the price crash. Imagine the amount of hate Barry Silbert,  Erik Voorhees, Jeff Garzik etc will get. Let's just wait and see what happens after august 23th.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 06:38:57 PM

Let's just wait I see. Im sure miners will defect from the NYA agreement, Bitfury will be one of the first, and once one deffects, other will follow.

A lot of people have learned a lesson with the Bitcoin Cash disaster. Everyone that got involved in mining Bitcoin Cash has lost millions compared to if they kept missing the legacy chain.

Everyone involved in segwit2x will be responsible for the price crash. Imagine the amount of hate Barry Silbert,  Erik Voorhees, Jeff Garzik etc will get. Let's just wait and see what happens after august 23th.

It's a game of chicken, except on the very day the agreement was announced some of the people who agreed to it said that they kinda hadn't so they're already halfway out the door.

If they felt that way on the day, their confidence in it certainly won't have grown as time passes. The Segwit bit was simple enough. The other bit, rather less so.
reflector

Activity: 826
Merit: 263

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 07:27:14 PM

I do not think the exchanges are going to rename the original coin in any way or form, bitcoin is just bitcoin and that is never going to change, the ones that need remaining are the altcoins based on bitcoin, personally I will prefer B2X for the name of the coin or its symbol because after a hard fork that coin is no longer bitcoin but something else, an altcoin.

This y would not do that for ever. Renaming a bitcoin's name will destroy the reputation and some people heard a but would not consider this a btc in future. We need to think in all the view.
Since segwit has activated this time, bitcoin value has been increased more than 1000$, I expect it will touch next peak value again when we are peak value now.
hatshepsut93 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 2148

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 09:07:41 AM

Everyone involved in segwit2x will be responsible for the price crash. Imagine the amount of hate Barry Silbert,  Erik Voorhees, Jeff Garzik etc will get. Let's just wait and see what happens after august 23th.

I don't think that those people from NYA are going to care about the hate, but it's likely that miners will back off from 2x fork, maybe not all, but at least half, probably. The real Bitcoin, developed by Core is very valuable, and this conspiracy to replace Core will sure crash the price, if it will have significant support from miners and companies. Mining Bitcoin will be less profitable, and mining 2x chain will be even worse, so why should miners fork if they are not gaining anything from it? Larger blocks would sure help those companies and miners, but the effect of price crash will outweigh any gains by a huge margin.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1016

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 09:41:56 AM

95% that 2x hardfork will not happen!
It would just be another altcoin, like bcash! And right now with this massive pump it is obvious that the market want Segwit and core with it's huge pool of amazing developers to continue this journey.
It the dummies of NYA fork they will be left alone and no one following them.Furthermore these guys will lose lots credibility in this space and if they should try to come back after the hardfork failure I can assure the community will not give them any chance to continue with their businesses or even building new ones and supporting those.
You try to fool the userbase, therefore the majority of the community which give Bitcoin it's value, you're going to lose. This whole Bitcoin community it so much anti authoritarien, every attempt to break that space and take control of the protocol, will break you in the end.
HeRetiK
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2017, 03:40:30 PM

95% that 2x hardfork will not happen!
It would just be another altcoin, like bcash! And right now with this massive pump it is obvious that the market want Segwit and core with it's huge pool of amazing developers to continue this journey.
It the dummies of NYA fork they will be left alone and no one following them.Furthermore these guys will lose lots credibility in this space and if they should try to come back after the hardfork failure I can assure the community will not give them any chance to continue with their businesses or even building new ones and supporting those.
You try to fool the userbase, therefore the majority of the community which give Bitcoin it's value, you're going to lose. This whole Bitcoin community it so much anti authoritarien, every attempt to break that space and take control of the protocol, will break you in the end.

Unless 2x devs give in or postpone the hardfork, it's gonna happen. Whether 2x will be a relevant alternative to BTC or even a replacement of it is a different question. However I doubt that the "dummies of NYA" will lose their credibility and customers that easily, even if 2x ends up being BCH's step brother. These "dummies" include some of the most important companies in crypto. You'll be hard pressed to avoid using them. They'd be stupid to not have some form of contingency plan.

Either way it will be interesting to see how the 2x supporting companies will handle the controversy. It's a business after all and people vote with their wallets, especially in crypto.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: