Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 02:40:04 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Next "dot-com bubble"?  (Read 1719 times)
Dart315

Activity: 122
Merit: 12

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 01:14:14 AM

Might be handy to check stock charts of Google, Microsoft and others. They had their max not long before collapse of dot-com bubble. But, anyway who cares if they have their product now and then. The same case is with BTC and others, if they collapse I would not care much. We will make money anyway, new industry established.
Taki

Activity: 1078
Merit: 514

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 09:48:13 AM

You are not wrong, particularly about the ICO craze. I'm pretty sure most will lose money on those, though perhaps one or two ICOs will be profitable.
I was reading an article here on the forum that only 2% of ICOs are profitable and 10% of them is a scam of clear water. I was searching carefully an ICO to invest and for now those results that I have from this investment satisfy me totally.
I doubt that some super fake ICO or hacking can finish Bitcoin and everything about it. I think only forbidding of crypto-currencies on the government level, admiring it as illegal can crash bitcoin in the mass sense, but I suppose then Bitcoin will just go in the deep internet.
adam1230
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 10:25:26 AM

there is a huge ICO bubble . Yes there are a lot of ICO fails in these days. Its not a surprise. Its just investing is stocks. If you invest in a loser company in stocks its same.
You have to research before investing your money. There are utopic ICO's and meaningfull ico's. If a large ICO fail happens then you can see a nice price drop for ICO based currencies such as ETH

On the other hand this will not be a big effect on btc price.
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2111

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 10:26:23 AM

Might be handy to check stock charts of Google, Microsoft and others. They had their max not long before collapse of dot-com bubble. But, anyway who cares if they have their product now and then. The same case is with BTC and others, if they collapse I would not care much. We will make money anyway, new industry established.

Google wasn't even publicly traded yet, also the companies that prevailed such as Microsoft already had working products before the bubble Smiley

Check how Pets.com's stock went for a more apt comparison to the current ICO situation. With gambles like that the only way to make money is to either run an ICO yourself or knowing when to jump ship.
seraph_the_wise

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 06:24:15 PM

Yes, there is a bubble building up, due to the inflation of expectations for the coins, and all the ICOs coming to the market. And surely, many will fail, other succeed with insane payoffs. I don't think we are anywhere near that peak however, but overall I believe the market will self-correct.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
August 29, 2017, 07:35:02 PM

Sorry, if this question is asked here before,but i feel that the cryptocurrency "industry" is pretty much like
internet companies back in 1997-2001.Too much optimism and no regulations.
2017 has been an awesome year for all the cryptocurrencies and all the ICOs and more and more people are buying tokens.What do we need for the next big crash?(This question sounds stupid,i know. Grin)
Some big exchange platform hacked,or some major ICO failure?
I don`t want a big crash to happen,but we have to be prepared,anyway.

I don't think we could place the dotcom bubble on the same footing as Bitcoin

They have many common features, of course, but there are still quite a few differences as well. First of all, people invested in dotcoms since they expected them to be a real deal, i.e. they hoped that in some time all these new hi-tech companies would start producing real value as innovative goods and services. Bitcoin, on the other hand, is a purely speculative asset, and people investing in it simply hope that it will rise in value due to expanding speculation. If it doesn't, this is not something which they don't quite expect. That seems to be a major difference, i.e. no lies and thus no false hopes about the stuff people do

Selmor

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

Highest ROI crypto infrastructure

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 07:38:33 PM

A crash can happen every time. At the moment we have each day many different icos, some icos for real project and other only to collect money from blind people.
Nevertheless bitcoin can reach the 10k at the end of year or the 0. We will see

BartS

Activity: 980
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 10:13:29 PM

Sorry, if this question is asked here before,but i feel that the cryptocurrency "industry" is pretty much like
2017 has been an awesome year for all the cryptocurrencies and all the ICOs and more and more people are buying tokens.What do we need for the next big crash?(This question sounds stupid,i know. Grin)
I think all of those that think of most ICOs in that way are correct, but you must not forget that the dot com bubble also gave to use giants like Google and Amazon so if you want to invest in ICOs you need to find the few coins that have all the necessary ingredients to succeed, in a way the ICO craze is no different than the stock market there are very valuable stocks and there are stocks that are worth nothing.
allohha

Activity: 672
Merit: 176

View Profile
August 29, 2017, 10:24:16 PM

A crash can happen every time. At the moment we have each day many different icos, some icos for real project and other only to collect money from blind people.
Nevertheless bitcoin can reach the 10k at the end of year or the 0. We will see
in fact, all the predictions are an ungrateful topic and I think that it is impossible to foresee what lies ahead of us. Of course, another fork can give or sleep or another growth. The fact that we see the price value of the next Bitcoin double after August 1, then its price began to fall and Bitcoin in this light begins to grow well.
Dart315

Activity: 122
Merit: 12

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 12:39:51 AM

Google wasn't even publicly traded yet, also the companies that prevailed such as Microsoft already had working products before the bubble Smiley

Check how Pets.com's stock went for a more apt comparison to the current ICO situation. With gambles like that the only way to make money is to either run an ICO yourself or knowing when to jump ship.

Yes, you're right. My mistake with Google's stocks!

The thing I wanted to say, we should not care much about noises and the hype around blockchain and crypto currencies.

Better focus on our skills and projects.
Cormoran

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 12:53:52 AM

There is no way to know but almost 8/10 are scam coin or failure and only 2 are success and legit..
For me its not my priority to invest because you can lose a lot in ICO's better to invest in altcoin which is already in good rankings and already stay long in the market so that you can only be waste your time for waiting because the movement of the price is not the same as ICO new releases in the market..
But the risk are really safe than ICO's
I am also wanted to be always prepared but there is no way..

It depends what you mean by a "big crash," I think. There are at least 10 relatively decent-size cryptocurrency markets with billions of dollars flowing through each. Any one could crash, of course, since they're all based on the coin's popularity and a coin losing popularity and causing panic sales would be a self-fulfilling prophecy; it wouldn't take many days of 10% losses for bitcoin to fall precipitously, as precipitously as the rise after the fork drama. Of course, if that happens there is a decent chance of that money being reinvested into other cryptocurrencies, since a lot of people have probably already recouped their initial investments and are now in pure profit. A lot of people who bought near the top would walk away feeling very bitter about the whole experience, but a lot more who made their money back and even profited some would be quite willing to invest in more crypto with those profits, and speculate on catching the next big one.

As far as ICOs, there are a lot of them and a lot of them will undoubtedly crash, just like most penny stocks. This is not news, and should not disturb any investors who know what investing is about. Speculation that something will be the next big new thing is always dangerous, just ask the people who held on to Betamax stocks because they were certain that it was the next big thing. If you can find any who will still admit it, anyway.
pinkflower

Activity: 868
Merit: 259

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 03:50:34 AM

They have many common features, of course, but there are still quite a few differences as well. First of all, people invested in dotcoms since they expected them to be a real deal, i.e. they hoped that in some time all these new hi-tech companies would start producing real value as innovative goods and services. Bitcoin, on the other hand, is a purely speculative asset, and people investing in it simply hope that it will rise in value due to expanding speculation. If it doesn't, this is not something which they don't quite expect. That seems to be a major difference, i.e. no lies and thus no false hopes about the stuff people do

With BTC, I agree. Its apples and oranges if you compare real cryptocurrencies with the tech stocks of the dotcom boom. But what about the ICO projects that have been run like real companies, with all the offices, CEOs and the funding? For me they look more the same with the pump and dumps of the tech bubble.

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2017, 06:13:26 AM

With BTC, I agree. Its apples and oranges if you compare real cryptocurrencies with the tech stocks of the dotcom boom. But what about the ICO projects that have been run like real companies, with all the offices, CEOs and the funding? For me they look more the same with the pump and dumps of the tech bubble

Okay, ICO's look more like the dot-com era ventures

On the other hand (just playing devil's advocate here), many dotcoms back then might have actually tried to make it but failed in the end, while what we see today seems to be more like deliberate scam attempts. Indeed, there should have been dotcoms that had never meant anything real right from the start, but the percentage should be significantly lower back in the day than it is nowadays. In a sense, people were more idealistic in late 1990's early 2000's, both investors and entrepreneurs alike. Investors weren't as greedy and cynical as they are today while entrepreneurs weren't as fishy and scammy

alva5763

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 06:44:44 AM

There is a big difference between the dot-com bubble and altcoins. Back then most financial magazines,papers and investment companies were pushing the investment potential of these stocks and funds. The result was millions of funds pouring in but the companies themselves did not make any profits. Now the knowledge base is between those who are aware of the products and understand the reasons behind the project. Gullible investors are not being targeted by commission hungry salesmen in financial adverts.
TagaMungkahi

Activity: 364
Merit: 118

Bounty Campaign Manager? --> https://goo.gl/YRVVt3

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 07:02:49 AM

You are not wrong, particularly about the ICO craze. I'm pretty sure most will lose money on those, though perhaps one or two ICOs will be profitable.

What are your guys' thoughts if someone were to say "a crash is not all that bad"?

If a crytpo-crash occurred there could be a bunch of garbage tokens getting knocked out and then the benefiical tokens can emerge. Would it not be unlike the dot-com crash? Although there was some garbage and over-valued stocks in the late 1990s, there were some of today's leading companies in there as well that emerged. Apple and Microsoft existed in the late 90s.
Actually if we see crash as a beneficial-event that will take place later on, With this bunch of icos then we will see what ICOs are really supported and have a lot of potential, but on the other hand chances on crashing is very high, ICOs that might survive this bubble is the one who is really supported. People are now smart and if we think on that way, investors know to research on what ICOs are profitable, has a lot of potential and has the company or organization that is financing or backing up that ICO.

Stripple

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 07:12:20 AM

Yeah I kind of fear this as well, there has to be some point where everyone asks themselves what it actually is that is so valuable. That's why I try to regard the value that I currently have in my portfolio as a nice to have, not so much something to rely on. The real world applications are not really there yet I think, despite many initiatives ongoing ofcourse. There will probably be a collapse at some point, but everyone understands that this tech is the future.

You just have to be prepared that when the actual collapse happens, you don't panic sell and just wait it out. Same with 'normal' stocks.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
HeRetiK
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 07:15:38 AM

On the other hand (just playing devil's advocate here), many dotcoms back then might have actually tried to make it but failed in the end, while what we see today seems to be more like deliberate scam attempts. Indeed, there should have been dotcoms that had never meant anything real right from the start, but the percentage should be significantly lower back in the day than it is nowadays. In a sense, people were more idealistic in late 1990's early 2000's, both investors and entrepreneurs alike. Investors weren't as greedy and cynical as they are today while entrepreneurs weren't as fishy and scammy

I wouldn't be so sure about the late 1990's being more idealistic and less greedy, but you pointed out an important factor: Deliberate scam attempts.

During the dot-com bubble the problem has huge overvaluations of companies with little to show for. With ICOs you have more of the same, with the added risk of scams attempts. Usually the latter would get filtered out early by regulations and a market of more experienced investors, but with ICOs you have neither in place. But maybe that's just my cynicism talking.

There is a big difference between the dot-com bubble and altcoins. Back then most financial magazines,papers and investment companies were pushing the investment potential of these stocks and funds. The result was millions of funds pouring in but the companies themselves did not make any profits. Now the knowledge base is between those who are aware of the products and understand the reasons behind the project. Gullible investors are not being targeted by commission hungry salesmen in financial adverts.

Gullible investors may not be targeted by hungry salesmen anymore, but they are still targeted with meaningless whitepapers, buzzwords and cookie-cutter fancy websites. I also doubt that the knowledge base has gotten much better since back then. Sure, people probably spend more time reading up on each project, but that's of little use without understanding the surrounding market, the underlying technologies and subsequently the challenges to be faced. The result is still the same: millions of funds poured into projects that do not make any profits.
Tipstar

Activity: 1806
Merit: 298

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 07:17:36 AM

It's not that internet companies have failed, they have evolved with time.
Same will happen with cryptos, though traditional coin may die, blockchain technology will evolve.

.SWG.io.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
CONFIRMED

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 30, 2017, 07:37:19 AM

I wouldn't be so sure about the late 1990's being more idealistic and less greedy, but you pointed out an important factor: Deliberate scam attempts

Maybe, I should have said more patient

Look, now we see coins (Bitcoin and altcoins alike) making dozen percentages of growth weekly if not daily (giving a new meaning to the old adages like "from rags to riches" and "from zero to hero"), while people no longer want to wait for a couple of years until they see visible returns from their investments. Quite naturally, it looks more like they have become more greedy and want quick profits, which is quite understandable

HeRetiK
Legendary

View Profile
August 30, 2017, 03:14:29 PM

I wouldn't be so sure about the late 1990's being more idealistic and less greedy, but you pointed out an important factor: Deliberate scam attempts

Maybe, I should have said more patient

Look, now we see coins (Bitcoin and altcoins alike) making dozen percentages of growth weekly if not daily (giving a new meaning to the old adages like "from rags to riches" and "from zero to hero"), while people no longer want to wait for a couple of years until they see visible returns from their investments. Quite naturally, it looks more like they have become more greedy and want quick profits, which is quite understandable

Ah yes, that's true. Impatient is a very fitting description of the modern crypto investor.

Both traditional and crypto investors are greedy in wanting big profits, but crypto investors want them now while traditional investors are used to slower paced markets. To be fair, traditional markets are indeed quite boring compared to crypto, even during times of major growth and corrections.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: