Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:28:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Old hands, what is your current engagement level?  (Read 2008 times)
JohnBitCo

Activity: 2030
Merit: 356

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 04:44:29 PM

For the entire investment office, our total traded volume for a 24-hour period is anywhere between 3 to 5 Bitcoin. And our personal portfolios sit in the range of .75 two 1.5 Bitcoins in a 24-hour period.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Idaho

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 05:00:57 PM

Like many others on this thread, I don't post much and have ridden on the back of the honey badger since 2013 - getting a hell of a ride and being scratched to pieces.

First bought 60 btc @ $32 and was reselling to the UK for a 20% premium. Was mainly making easy money as I was getting the resell mark up + the rising price. Weathered the  $266 peak and crash but didn't time it well. Kept a few coins, and then totally mistimed the market again and managed to buy high and sell low. Lesson learned, I don't have the temperament for trading at all.

Ended up with a few coins that were worth a quarter of what I paid. Lol! I was almost the first person to reply to the hodl thread! The legendary one! I did exactly the same as him and was going to say that I would join him in hodling. I typed the post in but had logged out and it didn't submit. Now I am more gutted about not being the second hodler ever than any millionaire bitcoin pipe dream.

It will take btc to go $100k plus to make any big difference to my life, I just don't have that many. But I'm waiting for that. Shit or bust!
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2017, 05:09:07 PM

Joined the community in early 2012, have been sort of disengaged since early 2015. More watching-from-a-distance than anything. But now that a malleability fix (SegWit) is finally landing I've started to pay more attention again.

My BTC are still in a "long-term storage" mode. I could theoretically earn more profits by putting them on an exchange, but I don't want the counterparty risk; when shapeshift.io supports Tether, or when a proper distributed market appears (thus allowing BTC/USD market making without having to leave my coins in someone's webwallet), then maybe I'll get into it again. But even then, a big chunk of that stash is destined to sit quiet until I can spend them at the grocery store's NFC terminal. "Current money or bust", right?

That said, the BitcoinCash split has been a wonderful opportunity for me, since now I have what amounts to a 10% dividend to use for diversification. I'm planning to buy into Ethereum, mostly. My comment above about a "malleability fix" should clue you in that I'm extremely bullish on the potential of blockchain-enforced business logic, and there are a couple killer apps in that space that Ethereum contracts can support but Bitcoin scripts can't. That said, I've got no interest in direct ICO investment; why try to pick the best individual product, when you can invest in the platform they all use? ^_^

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Traxo

Activity: 568
Merit: 703

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 05:10:38 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2017, 10:15:07 PM by Traxo

that guy categorically stated segwit would never be allowed to happen on bitcoin and litecoin would soar. litecoin did pretty good. segwit arrived.

He stated that Bitcoin will never get SegWit, which he seems to maintain is still the case.
He claims the SegWit fork is an altcoin which is going to die a fiery death as the SegWit transactions that have accumulated will eventually be stolen by the miners when they reorganize the chain and enforce the Satoshi's protocol which enables stealing SegWit transactions.
He has even positing a wild theory that perhaps BCC/BCH is a Trojan horse that enables Bitmain to surreptiously steal back all the BTC that being gained from trading BCC/BCH for BTC.
In his theory, this would finance the massive long-range chain reorganization, making it profitable and attractive.

Afaiu he claims that TRB will be Satoshi's 1MB no SegWit (real) Bitcoin. Thus, you only think that BTC has Segwit.
And afaiu TRB might accept SegWit but so that miners can spend all SegWit to themselves.
Also relevant topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1959633.0

So don't spread lies if:
I have zero technical knowledge.
Wexlike
Legendary

Activity: 1473
Merit: 1086

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 05:11:41 PM
Last edit: August 13, 2017, 10:56:05 PM by Wexlike

Does mid of 2013 count as an old hand ?

I kind of feel like afbitcoins.

Mostly I'm quite disengaged which is quite strange when I stop and think about it, maybe the numbers on my spreadsheet are becoming too abstract?

These numbers are somehow decoupled from reality. Most of the day I am running around with a smile or shaking my head in disbelief. I am full in Bitcoin and am still buying every month with the same amount of fiat. Never change a running system I guess ?

Other than that I am writing my master thesis on cryptography/blockchain scripting related topics. I'll try my luck in a bank company doing hopefully crypto portfolio management for clients. A weird career change for a rocket engineer, but what can you do when you are infected by the crypto virus? Smiley
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
August 13, 2017, 05:38:44 PM

That said, the BitcoinCash split has been a wonderful opportunity for me, since now I have what amounts to a 10% dividend to use for diversification.

I'm thinking the same thing. I just can't bring myself to spend any real bitcoins on alts, but I might be able to convert some bitcoin cash into some alts.

Buy & Hold
Traxo

Activity: 568
Merit: 703

View Profile
August 14, 2017, 03:42:55 PM

The million BTC whale analyzed the theory.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: